IDPA at OKC Gun Club

penman53

Fanatic
Ok here is the deal. I was told by one of the division chairs that has to buy off on this deal that he is fine with it. But I should hold off brining it to the board until the February meeting. This is because we will be getting the budget approved and that will take all night by the time we all beg for money. Its my first time so I will most likely have to beg really well.

Anyway, I have been talkding to Jack the IDPA guy from Tulsa and he has told me that there needs to be at least two SO's on every stage and that they usually shoot six stages.So I was hoping to have at least 10 people trained as Safety Officers before we can start matches. Jack told me that he would teach a special class for the gun club and I could arrange to have either the club house or the shotgun club house in order for us to have the class. He told me that the fee would be 20 dollars per person but I think if you were to do this, we could let you shoot a couple of free matches in order to keep you from having to shell the money out of pocket. If anyone is interested please send me an email with your contact information so I can try to get this setup for sometime in February. All partipants would be greatly appreciated.

My email is [email protected] and my contact number is 405-330-8268 Thanks to all that will participate

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Set up 2 stages in each berm

Squad shoot both then moves to the next bay....
You can get by with 8 SO's that way...

8 "quick" stages gets the round count up... And it's more fun than always shooting " longer" COF's

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
If it's not a major match how many stages in a bay shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. For a club match, the SOs are going to rotate with their squad just like USPSA, so you'd need 2 per squad.

penman53

Fanatic
The response to this has been fantastic. I can't wait to take this to the board. And by the way you will not have to be a member of the club to shoot the match. All matches are open to the public on any venue. Even with skeet you may have to pay a little bit more to shoot but you are always welcome at the club.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Mitch Gibson said:
What is a Sam Browne rig? And why are there so many mentions of rules already? Is this going to get Nazi-ish? Is someone going to have a clipboard and checklist? Can I use my 2011 in .40&SW?
IIRC you have to be a LEO to shoot with your duty rig, and that is only acceptable at club matches. Just wear a big t-shirt or a bath robe.

Also if your 2011 has a full-length dust cover then it is not ESP legal. The new rulebook allows for a separate "shoot whatever **** you want" division at the discretion of the MD where you could run it but all holster & mag carrier rules apply so your CR Speed rig would be out.

penman53 said:
Ok here is the deal. I was told by one of the division chairs that has to buy off on this deal that he is fine with it. But I should hold off brining it to the board until the February meeting. This is because we will be getting the budget approved and that will take all night by the time we all beg for money. Its my first time so I will most likely have to beg really well.

Anyway, I have been talkding to Jack the IDPA guy from Tulsa and he has told me that there needs to be at least two SO's on every stage and that they usually shoot six stages.So I was hoping to have at least 10 people trained as Safety Officers before we can start matches. Jack told me that he would teach a special class for the gun club and I could arrange to have either the club house or the shotgun club house in order for us to have the class. He told me that the fee would be 20 dollars per person but I think if you were to do this, we could let you shoot a couple of free matches in order to keep you from having to shell the money out of pocket. If anyone is interested please send me an email with your contact information so I can try to get this setup for sometime in February. All partipants would be greatly appreciated.

My email is [email protected] and my contact number is 405-330-8268 Thanks to all that will participate
I've squad-mommed IDPA (at Oil Capital no less) and I just watched the IDPA video; I am not now nor have I ever been a certified SO. However, I've never directed a club match and I'm not sure what the organization requires for running them.

As a practical consideration, make sure you have a couple folks on staff who know the rules well. Otherwise you'll have shooters complaining about "that headshot is farther than x yards away," and trying to get stages thrown out. Because IDPA has just as many obnoxious range-lawyering gamers as USPSA no matter how they like to pretend otherwise.

UCO Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
I've squad-mommed IDPA (at Oil Capital no less) and I just watched the IDPA video; I am not now nor have I ever been a certified SO. However, I've never directed a club match and I'm not sure what the organization requires for running them.

As a practical consideration, make sure you have a couple folks on staff who know the rules well. Otherwise you'll have shooters complaining about "that headshot is farther than x yards away," and trying to get stages thrown out. Because IDPA has just as many obnoxious range-lawyering gamers as USPSA no matter how they like to pretend otherwise.
If they want to complain about stuff, then they don't shoot. Either you like the rules and the shoot the course of fire or stay out! Sorry not trying to be an asshole but that is everyones excuse with not wanting to shoot IDPA and it is also everyone else's excuse of not being a MD.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
UCO Shooter said:
If they want to complain about stuff, then they don't shoot. Either you like the rules and the shoot the course of fire or stay out! Sorry not trying to be an asshole but that is everyones excuse with not wanting to shoot IDPA and it is also everyone else's excuse of not being a MD.
*sigh* I'm not talking **** about IDPA's rules. I'm just saying that there are some stage design rules you need to be aware of (maximum shot distances, maximum number of steel targets and no-shoots, etc), because I've seen people get their jimmies rustled at matches because they had to do a headshot at 11 yards instead of 10 or whatever. It's easier to stay on track when you have a couple people who know the rulebook well.

UCO Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
*sigh* I'm not talking **** about IDPA's rules. I'm just saying that there are some stage design rules you need to be aware of (maximum shot distances, maximum number of steel targets and no-shoots, etc), because I've seen people get their jimmies rustled at matches because they had to do a headshot at 11 yards instead of 10 or whatever. It's easier to stay on track when you have a couple people who know the rulebook well.
Yea I know you weren't man, I am just stating that to everyone who does. Don't get me wrong, are some of the rules a little extreme? Yes! But that is part of the game and that shouldn't keep people from playing. It's just part of it, you know?

But I do agree with you because without those people there, the stages will be taken advantage of.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
poopgiggle said:
this got a "like" because we haven't the jimmies rustled in a long time :D

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
poopgiggle said:
IIRC you have to be a LEO to shoot with your duty rig, and that is only acceptable at club matches. Just wear a big t-shirt or a bath robe.

Also if your 2011 has a full-length dust cover then it is not ESP legal. The new rulebook allows for a separate "shoot whatever **** you want" division at the discretion of the MD where you could run it but all holster & mag carrier rules apply so your CR Speed rig would be out.
I have a bath robe I can use for this. If it covers up my Blade-Tech holster and Safariland mag pouches, shouldn't I be good to go? I am not going to read the rules until I shoot a match first. I can be in "Captain Wonderful" division.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Corey said:
Sure glad I have a tacticool 2011 I would hate to shoot against the gentlemen with full dust covers
In all seriousness... do you carry that 2011 or keep it in a night table? As far as the bathrobe goes, Mitch... whatever blows your skirt up.

We shoot outdoors ... last week it was under 30 and we had snow on the ground.... when was the last time you shot anything resembling a "carry gun" from under your winter coat?

Like the man said- if your not interested....

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
Idpa is all about shooting from cover and draw from a vest anymore. Last shoot I went to sucked. I I had to borrow a vest because they would not accept my hunting vest. I hated it and wasted 20 bucks. Plus ammo. I will stick with 3 gun and mess around with steel challenge.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
hunter_dmw12 said:
Idpa is all about shooting from cover and draw from a vest anymore. Last shoot I went to sucked. I I had to borrow a vest because they would not accept my hunting vest. I hated it and wasted 20 bucks. Plus ammo. I will stick with 3 gun and mess around with steel challenge.
1 undecided

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk I have shot it 3 times now and the whole vest thing Im not sure about. Maybe I have got to use to having fun in 3 gun and steel challenge. Something about have to have the vest on i dont like. Give me some pointers and maybe I may come to likely it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
hunter_dmw12 said:
Burk I have shot it 3 times now and the whole vest thing Im not sure about. Maybe I have got to use to having fun in 3 gun and steel challenge. Something about have to have the vest on i dont like. Give me some pointers and maybe I may come to likely it.
Ditch the vest. Wear a tshirt that covers your gear. You're golden!

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
hunter_dmw12 said:
Shooting from concealment is part of the game. Correct use of cover is a pretty good skill to have. Both are the core of the IDPA rules. If you want to run and gun stay at 3 gun.

Do you carry a gun? I do. IDPA is nothing but a structured practice session for me. Do I shoot like I was trained? You betcha- and I'll take the points for a "procedural" that goes against good sense and still do pretty well.

BTW... if your local club did not like your "hunting vest" the person who "enforced" his opinion was wrong. That damned rulebook is pretty clear what an appropriate garment is.

But- if you just don't like shooting from concealment maybe this is not from you, I've seen texas stars and some pretty good clamshell and pop up and moving targets at IDPA matches... so maybe they just don't know how to read a stage book in Nebraska

Now....if you want to *****.... why not rag on the 10 round max in divisions that typically require 16 round hanguns. I personally don't like having to load behind cover - so I dont. I take the procedural and shoot faster to make it up.

The "dustcover" rule goes back to the ancient days when Ipsc shooters and PPC guys were adding weight to the gun for recoil control. If you read the rule
s... the rules, IDPA requires pretty basic guns... it's a test of shooters not guns.
Maybe you should try formal bullseye... or service rifle...

Latest posts