How to Setup Your Benelli M1 & M2 for 3 Gun

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
brandt9913 said:
M4 is gas operated, M2 is recoil. You may run into problems with pistol grip M2 cycling light bird shot loads with recoil action. I witnessed this at High Plains (Kurt Miller's shotgun match) a couple years ago. Benny Hill was the RO. The shooter before me was having problems with his gun not cycling. Benny told him to ditch the pistol grip on the M2 and said they only work on M4's because of the gas action. The shooter argued with Benny and said it wasnt the pistol grip.
I distinctly remember Benny saying "I've only been working on them for 30 years. What the hell do I know."
Cyrwus can correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe the reason the pistol grip stock can cause cycling issues with low recoil ammo is that the pistol grip allows the shooter to steady the gun more more coupled with the fact that it has none of the comfortech flex and the gun doesn't always move rearward enough from recoil to compress the I inertia spring which is key to the gun cycling.

My guess would be that if the OP is having trouble holding an M2 up he's not a big guy. So stopping the gun from recoiling rearward will not be an issues.

well, cycling issues are much more prevalent in m1 vs m2 pistol gripped stocks. shooters often use the pistol grip , not only as jesse said, to steady and firm up the gun, but most importantly, use it to flex the stock out of alignment with the forces of recoil. Also remember guys, that mighuel is probably a little smaller in frame than our bacon eating fat asses. They grow em leaner and faster over there.

mighel85

Fanatic
Boys. I went ahead and got the mesa tactical pistol grip stock for my M2.

Initial views are not so great. I haven't tried it any practical shotgun because we don't have it here. But it's a little shorter than the standard stock. Recoil is a *****. My collar bone hurts like **** after shooting 75 rounds today. The grip is a little Big for my hand so it's awkward. However, weak hand reloads are good. And I just dremelled the loading port wider. It's an amazing feeling!

I didn't take too much off because I was afraid of damaging it. If I get a chance. I will upload some photos.

I took the shotgun out to do some sporting clay. Still can hit most targets so it's ok.

I also went out to shoot some crows today. Have to say it ain't affecting my accuracy . but my face and shoulder hurts. Felt like I was punched repeatedly.

mike cyrwus said:
well, cycling issues are much more prevalent in m1 vs m2 pistol gripped stocks. shooters often use the pistol grip , not only as jesse said, to steady and firm up the gun, but most importantly, use it to flex the stock out of alignment with the forces of recoil. Also remember guys, that mighuel is probably a little smaller in frame than our bacon eating fat asses. They grow em leaner and faster over there.

jtischauser

The comfortech stock is a godsend for the hurt shoulder and cheek. You could add a kick eez pad to your new stuck to help the best up cheek.

mighel85

Fanatic
Jesse. The messa tactical stock came with a butt pad called a "limb saver"

Which is ironic because I feel the butt was trying very hard to chop off my right arm.

jtischauser

I was talking about the soft foam on top that stops the gun from punching you in the cheek. The comfortech also flexes a bunch which a limbsavers can't do.

mighel85

Fanatic
Hi guys, just wanted to tell you about my experience with the mesa tactical stock for benelli M1 & M2. It's horrible.

1st off, I couldn't align the the sights properly, the cheek piece was so useless, I removed it half way through a shotgun match. Even after, I couldn't mount a comfortable spot and was still hitting high on targets.

Secondly, the stock doesn't flex like a comfort tech stock,so I feel 100% of the recoil on my face. my skinny face is bruised so badly from the recoil, it looks like I was punched repeatedly by a 700 pound gorilla.

Lastly, the pistol grip stock is too big and fat for my hands, granted I have small hands but friends with bigger hands tried the stock and didn't feel good.

On a slightly positive note, it did help with weak hand reloads.....slightly. but with all the cons against this, I say, stick to the comfort tech.

Should have listened and save $150.00.

jtischauser

mighel85 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBKJqeDerk

Check out this link to my abysmal performance. Actually, we all shot like ****.

at about 1 min 56 secs in, you can see me shooting , RC2 28gr. the recoil on the gun into my face was so hard.

i just switched back to the original stock,

ANY TIPS WILL BE WELCOMED.
Dang nice video work! That match looked like fun!

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Anybody think the raised gel comb is worth the $$, that is, if you can find one in stock somewhere?

I see a lot of better/pro shooters with benelli's that have the raised comb and wonder if it's worth trying. I won't go so far as saying that my M2 doesn't "fit" me, I've just shot a ton of shotguns over my lifetime and have never adjusted the comb or pull on any of them. Not to mention I wouldn't even know where to start to know the "proper fit" or not. Like I said I've always been a "pick up shotgun, shoot shotgun" kinda guy.

jtischauser

It depends on your face shape and how you mount the gun. If you mount the gun and you are looking straight down the vent rib raising your cheek weld is gonna screw up your shot placement.

I had to borrow Clint Upchurch's M2 earlier this year. It had the raised comb piece. I couldn't hit anything. Gun was pointing too high for me.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Guess I should shoot someone's M2 that has one installed first to see how it fits me. I just mount the shotgun where it fits naturally in the should pocket and I dont think I have to move my head around a whole lot to look down the rib. I'm pretty much where I need to be looking down the rib.

Not to mention the price on those things is ridiculous for such a small piece and they are nowhere to be found.

benny hill

the stock on a pistol grip stock is lower at the comb and heel so the bore line is higher resulting in increased muzzle rise and impact to the cheek bone, also slower recovery time. The drop in the stock results in a bind on the recoil spring plunger and the hole in the shim holding it to the butstock needs to be drilled out and a std. spring installed.

SydneyJ

Fanatic
Hey Jesse and Bullit,

I'm a complete newbie to 3 gun (planning to have my first match this weekend) I went and purchased a m2 and had Briley open my loading port and I installed the tti lifter and bolt release, as well as the Nordic +7. I kind of jump in head first usually. I'm still having an extremely hard time at loading. I tried the over the shoulder strong hand dual load and it feels like the shells get stuck. The weak hand load under my arm works, but it's not smooth by any means and I have bruising under my thumb nail.

I saw that bullits 3 gun mods for the m2 had a carrier latch mod, is this a must? Im not sure if I'm confident in bending this on my own, thoughts?!