How to Setup Your Benelli M1 & M2 for 3 Gun

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The welding and extending sometimes makes the lifter slightly too long. A trained eye smoothed and bends it to tune it so it feeds properly.

When someone says tuned in the gun smith realm it means dremeled, polished and/or bent just right.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Most on this site know the cost, but it's kind of like the first rule of fight club. Don't talk about fight club.

Jungleweasle

Fanatic
Question? I have a Benelli M2 with a 26" barrel. I plan on getting a +6 or +7 magazine tube. Is there any reason I should get a shorter barrel if I am going to run the longer magazine tube?

jtischauser

With a 26" barrel you might as well get the long tube so you can run 12 rounds like the cool kids. It only sticks past the barrel 2-4".

Nordic tubes, of course!

Might want to tell them how prone to breakage a +9 tube is. It is also a bit harder on the shell latch, having it loaded all the way up, under spring pressure, and having thatstack of 12 shells hit the shell latch under recoil. For ordinary joe weekend threegunner, having 10 total in the tube is more than sufficient, and still competitive. When you run on the ragged edge you better keep up on your gear maintenence and inspection. No matter the gun.

jtischauser

You don't have to have a clamp but it doesn't hurt. A 26" barrel should protect it pretty well but it is a pretty big old cantilever sticking out there.

Mike is right a 12 round tube requires one to pay more attention to you mag tube spring. That long spring gets pretty weak on that last shell out of the tube. I hadn't thought about that shell catch taking more punishment. Makes sense though and must be why my gun occasionally wants to spit one back at me. An unmodified shell catch should be more than adequate. Heck most times you can get shells in past the stock shell catch.

My gun runs with the big tube and I wouldnt use anything but that tube unless USPSA tells me I can't have it.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Bolt Lightened and Modified This is a nice feature that reduces felt recoil and increases cycle time. Plus the Accurate Iron bolt just looks badass! The other modifications allow you to be able to load the gun if the bolt is out of battery and you can load an extra round on the lifter (ghost load). Some M1's will allow you load a round on the lifter in the stock configuration.

When you say "increases cycle time" are you saying that the time is getting slower or faster?

jtischauser

Larry Rigsby said:
Bolt Lightened and Modified This is a nice feature that reduces felt recoil and increases cycle time. Plus the Accurate Iron bolt just looks badass! The other modifications allow you to be able to load the gun if the bolt is out of battery and you can load an extra round on the lifter (ghost load). Some M1's will allow you load a round on the lifter in the stock configuration.

When you say "increases cycle time" are you saying that the time is getting slower or faster?
Good catch! A lighter bolt moves faster so cycle time is decreased.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
I got my M2 up and going, haven't shot a match with it yet. I've owned the gun for 3 or 4 years, but it was a field gun I used for hunting and trap. It is a 26" and had the walnut furniture. I ordered synthetic furniture from Benelli, and installed a Nordic +7 MXT tube and clamp, Nordic charge handle, Nordic bolt release button, Benelli extended choke tubes, and HiViz comp sight. I would still like to have the lifter welded, load port opened, and maybe the bolt lightened up eventually. I plan to put the Benelli through its paces this Sunday at Hutch's CKGC 3gun match. Up until now it's had an easy life.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse, what choke do you run when you are running blaster stages like the clays portion of the shootoff you won last weekend? Diffusion? Because you force me to look at your AI M2 repeatedly on multiple forums and Youtube, I have reluctantly gone out and bought an M2. Well, sort of reluctantly.

jtischauser

bullittmcqueen said:
Jesse, what choke do you run when you are running blaster stages like the clays portion of the shootoff you won last weekend? Diffusion? Because you force me to look at your AI M2 repeatedly on multiple forums and Youtube, I have reluctantly gone out and bought an M2. Well, sort of reluctantly.
I ran a Diffusion choke the entire pro series match. Everything is up close and easy.