How to Setup Your Benelli M1 & M2 for 3 Gun

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Buy a diffusion, IC and Full and you'll have every choke you ever need. If you're scared of the IC get the LM it's one size tighter or just run the M that comes with them.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been running LM almost exclusively, have rarely ever put an IC in, however I don't cut it loose like you pro guys do, with the LM on the clays i feel like I need to aim it a little. Seriously considering getting something wide open for clays-only stages

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
bullittmcqueen said:
I've been running LM almost exclusively, have rarely ever put an IC in, however I don't cut it loose like you pro guys do, with the LM on the clays i feel like I need to aim it a little. Seriously considering getting something wide open for clays-only stages
man that is just the oposite for me, feels like i can usually burn clays with LM in my m2 and sbe but when i get to little steel plates i have to take extra time for the sight to be perfect, i thought i was just going to use LM for everything but i just bought a briley full for that stupid star at the noveske match in atl and im tempted to get something even tighter for that thing, stage shoulda been thrown out but none the less ill be prepared next time

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I aim every shot. With the open chokes you sometimes get a hit when you might have otherwise missed.
That's what I'm shooting for here is that with the open choke odds of getting a pellet through the clay are pretty good, allowing me to speed up.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
gondo said:
man that is just the oposite for me, feels like i can usually burn clays with LM in my m2 and sbe but when i get to little steel plates i have to take extra time for the sight to be perfect, i thought i was just going to use LM for everything but i just bought a briley full for that stupid star at the noveske match in atl and im tempted to get something even tighter for that thing, stage shoulda been thrown out but none the less ill be prepared next time
I really wish I had asked you more about this post before last weekend. The star absolutely killed me in Atlanta. I shot that stage with cylinder choke and kept hitting the plates on the star but they just would not fall. I don't know why those plates were so heavy. I should have shot it with LM but now I know. It cost me at least 15 seconds.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
bullittmcqueen said:
I really wish I had asked you more about this post before last weekend. The star absolutely killed me in Atlanta. I shot that stage with cylinder choke and kept hitting the plates on the star but they just would not fall. I don't know why those plates were so heavy. I should have shot it with LM but now I know. It cost me at least 15 seconds.
I saw in your vid, nice vids btw, at least that star wasnt 25 yards away like the last match. The problem with that star has something to do with the springs, sometimes they fall off fine and sometimes they are just stuck on there. The 2 guys that made that star were actually in my squad and they said it was because mud was getting packed in the springs.... who knows...

At the last match the first 2 guys to shoot it couldnt knock a plate off, so we just stopped everything and to see if it was possible i shot it with my LM choke, 7 1/2 shot, Benelli M2 and they fell of fine. Then the next 3 guys that did there runs, 1 guy just knocked them all off no problem and the next guy couldnt get any off. Then came my turn... and i was thinking these guys just cant hit anything... but nope i only managed to get 2 off with about 12 shots before I had to move on. So it is the star not the shooters... and it is kind of random when they will and wont fall off. I dont care if its 25 clay and the star on a stage I will be using full choke next time i see that star.

if those plates fall halfway off, you need a 458winmag to get them off sometimes. I stopped a uspsa multigun stage twice because it did that to me, and I called range equipt malfunction.

mighel85

Fanatic
Hi boys. Mighel from singapore here. Was wondering if it's a good idea to run my benelli m2 shotgun with the mesa tactical urbino pistol grip stock? I see most people use the normal shotgun stock on their m2 's is there a reason stock is better?

jtischauser

Pistol grip stocks offer very little advantage IMHO.

mighel85 said:
Hi boys. Mighel from singapore here. Was wondering if it's a good idea to run my benelli m2 shotgun with the mesa tactical urbino pistol grip stock? I see most people use the normal shotgun stock on their m2 's is there a reason stock is better?

mighel85

Fanatic
jcameron996 said:
I have never used a pistol grip stock on a shotgun, but from what I have witnessed at matches the pistol grip just gets in the way when you are trying to load.

I don't know. I thought it might help me with the reload. As the gun is heavy. I've seen some people holding the pistol grip and have the rest of the stock rest on their arm while doing a weak hand reload.

I do weak hand reloads as I can't do strong hand flip over shotgun reload to save my life.

jtischauser

mighel85 said:
I don't know. I thought it might help me with the reload. As the gun is heavy. I've seen some people holding the pistol grip and have the rest of the stock rest on their arm while doing a weak hand reload.

I do weak hand reloads as I can't do strong hand flip over shotgun reload to save my life.
It is handy for holding the gun during reloads. But giving up the comfortech stock is a bummer.

Have you tried the load two loading method? It's super easy!

TheRealKoop

Well-Known Fanatic
My biggest gripe with pistol grips is how it changes the relationship of your arm/support from high up on the reciever to far below it.

Its mainly a preference thing though.

mighel85

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
It is handy for holding the gun during reloads. But giving up the comfortech stock is a bummer.

Have you tried the load two loading method? It's super easy!
Yes, i tried the load 2 method where you flip the shotgun over and load with your strong hand. i nail it 1 out of 14 times, yes I probably need more practice with it before writing it off.

I'm going to try the M2 with the pistol grip and see how it feels.

I've tried my buddy's M4 and they feel great. i can rest the gun my small lazy arms and focus on reloading than having to exert strength and focus in both arms while moving and looking at targets.

jtischauser

Going with a pistol grip versus practicing load two more is counter productive. Everyone is using load two because it's so easy and Taran Butler is the only person I can think of that uses a pistol grip.

It's way cheaper to try the load two for 4-8 hours and get it Down than to buy a new shotgun.

Is your loading port opened up? What Caddy's do you have?

mighel85

Fanatic
Port isn't opened up. No gunsmith in Singapore. I can't exactly bring the shotgun to a machinist as our guns cannot leave the range.
I got the 4&4 by ap customs.

I guess I will practice more with the load 2 and see how it goes.

jtischauser

Yikes! No port work is tough for any loading. I'd suggest taking some files and sandpaper to the range.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
mighel85 said:
Yes, i tried the load 2 method where you flip the shotgun over and load with your strong hand. i nail it 1 out of 14 times, yes I probably need more practice with it before writing it off.
I'm going to try the M2 with the pistol grip and see how it feels.
I've tried my buddy's M4 and they feel great. i can rest the gun my small lazy arms and focus on reloading than having to exert strength and focus in both arms while moving and looking at targets.
M4 is gas operated, M2 is recoil. You may run into problems with pistol grip M2 cycling light bird shot loads with recoil action. I witnessed this at High Plains (Kurt Miller's shotgun match) a couple years ago. Benny Hill was the RO. The shooter before me was having problems with his gun not cycling. Benny told him to ditch the pistol grip on the M2 and said they only work on M4's because of the gas action. The shooter argued with Benny and said it wasnt the pistol grip.

I distinctly remember Benny saying "I've only been working on them for 30 years. What the hell do I know."