From the Reloading Bench...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Close to 1700 we think by weight now to size and hitec them. If I can find any going to try a new loading with Clean Shot powder. It has a very different recoil feel to it and was very accurate in all we shot it in carbines and handguns both. BUT very hard to find. Not paying shipping or hasmat to get it. 1-2 more casting sessions and we are done for awhile, looking to get 5000 done of these for 2 of us.

We went to Sheels today window shopping also would have got a few primers if they had them.
SOLD OUT no ammo, no primers, no powder at Scheels said they sold 9 pallets of 9mm alone.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
NOE and M&P 8 cavity molds 225 gr brass molds in 45 & 9mm 125 gr

Last edited:

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
Lots of blue love here. As many of you know, I'm just starting. Darn scale is holding up the operation. Any scale suggestions that aren't Lyman are appreciated.View attachment 5457View attachment 5458
The 35 buck Frankford Arsenal is what I've been using for pistol for the last 8 years. It's so accurate and consistent that I bought a 2nd for backup fearing they'd stop making them. But I use a RED Hornady L&L AP so you may want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The Brown Redding scales are plentiful and reasonable on the Bay!
They are adjustable and can be kept accurate with a check weight!
redding.jpeg

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've used several pounds of Clean Shot.. I find it to be a good pistol powder..very clean burning.
A few yrs. ago someone ( I think it was Midsouth) started offering the Shooter's World line of powder.
Had a no hazmat fee deal, if you bought X amount of this brand of powder.. so I tried a few. Only complaint with
Shooter's World line of powder is the scant amount of load information from them. Had no info on load data for 10mm,
despite saying one of their powders was for that caliber. I find the accuracy with the powders I've tried..several for both rifle & pistol, have all worked very well. I've been waiting for another "No Hazmat" deal to order more of their powders.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Planning another reloading day next week as showing some cooler we load a day a month to keep up. My normal loadings
9mm WST powder 125 gr
45 Clays and also for me Solo 1000 powder 200 gr
About 4-4.2 gr for both
--------------------------------------------------------
I do plan on loading close to a 1000 150 gr 9mm it does get a reduced charge about 3 gr without looking it up. Best shooting 9mm bullet I have shot.
This week is just to darn hot here.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Quite here again I do hope Butch and others who were considering reloading did so early on, just wondered if anyone actually did so when we mentioned it? Thankfully we are still shooting weekly with no ammo issues at all here, hopefully Butch and others did get what they needed when they were advised to and all set up now, topic here just quiet and I was thinking of it.. We still have 1 store with 9mm at $30/50, 45acp there $49.95/50 that's for ball! (they have plenty) and if you go on truck days our Academy has a little but you need to go on truck days an hour before opening and get in line for the $13/50 9mm - 45 acp/$18 limit 1-3 boxes of ammo if they have any, so glad we reload/cast and stocked up for this. Hope you guys also did so, I do know 1 member here that got his Dillion only. Our local ranges have ammo only to be shot there in rentals is about it, Guys it will be worse before better I feel. Stores are loaded with shotgun ammo for the start of bird season next week, just higher prices than before so far but well stocked.
I just cant imagine of any shooter that really honestly shoots that did not stock up when this was just starting to unfold earlier this year. They had the same advance notice we did that shortages were coming.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My neighbor/friend is still trying to get us to reload 2000 of his brass for him, we told him to get primers and we will but not using ours to do it as he wants to and pay us back, he replied what if something happens and I need the ammo? We told him we will remind you again like we did in January/February you should have stocked up then! No primers no reloading!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Contacted Dillon & was informed to send the press & all asst attachments to them..which I did.
here's an old pic of the old Lee single stage press I've used for about 40 yrs..(before I replaced it with
a used RCBS Rock Chucker I found on craigslist, several yrs.ago.

Note the empty space to the far right of the Lee press..that's the spot for my Dillon.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
A few weeks pass (after sending my press to Dillon, & then a pkg arrived :

Did they replace my old 450 with a 550 ? No.
They actually rebuilt my 450, replacing portion of frame that broke,..also included a new ram,..& linkage for new primer system
(primer slide bar works offa linkage against the ram handle movement, so don't have to manually move primer bar to feed primers for seating.
Dillon also replaced my powder dispenser with a newer version..also has a linkage to automatically move powder bar when ram handle is used.

I dislike the new powder assembly as adjusting the amount of flare the powder funnel puts on a case mouth is now much more complicated with
the linkage in the way..& linkage has to be removed to make an adjustment to amount of case mouth flare that is desired. Only wish I still had my old powder dispenser. Dillon did a nice job rebuilding my press ( @ no charge to me) and the upgrades were a nice touch..just wish I had my old powder dispenser.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
I had 5 of the Dillion 300's at one time, I now have three.

One set up for 45 Auto and the other in 9MM.

The third one I need to make some missing parts for as Dillion does not support it.

Mike Dillon said he lost $100 for every model 300 he sold and I believe it, it is built like a tank with a pressed in bronze bushing in the base for the ram!

He redesigned with the 450 and used an all cast housing to save money and the rest is History!
m4.jpgm3.jpg

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for posting that pic.. I had not seen ( or even heard of ) a Dillon 300..but am glad that they stand behind my old 450 as well as they have.
Over the years they've sent me a fair amount of replacement parts ( my Dillon has had consistent use ) Even replaced my entire primer system when issues developed (can't even remember what the issue was ) but remember they sent entire system, even new primer pickup tubes..
The frame on those presses look massive!

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
They are robust, and will load just about anything you want to set them up for.

One, I bought from a competitive shooter, and he said there were probably about 300,000 rds. reloaded on it, and you couldn't even tell it, and it's still going strong!!!

I'm left handed, so enjoy the open front, from the "H" type design!
zz3.jpg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I save the flaps from primer boxes I do know of 1 year I personally loaded 38000 on my press (Star) I wore out a linkage bar and they sent me a new set in a few days. I was shooting 500+ a week then with matches on weekends and also a Wed night match..

Last edited:

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Well, you can go through some powder and ball, shooting that much!

Here is a before shot and how I usually get these presses.

Sometimes I have to make a missing part, but straight machining and a one off job.

You can see in one of the pics, the bronze bushing for that big ram!
a4.jpega5.jpega1.jpga11.jpg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I know of 1 new reloader member here that got a Dillion did any others? Butch? you ever decide? When you mentioned it you could have easily got all components all you wanted. Hope you did so.

Last edited:

cxm

Active Fanatic
Way back when lots of police depts had Star Loading machines to re load 38SPL Wad cutters for range use... Some actually loaded service ammunition as well.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department's range operated several Stars to provide training ammunition. As in many departments, jail prisoners were often used to operate the Star machines making the ammunition... I would not be very comfortable with that... but maybe they had a better class of prisoners back then...

FWIW

Chuck

You need to post some pic's STI.
I also have a Star. It's a Universal currently set up in .45ACP but I also have a .38 Special tool head. Hulme case feeder and Brewster indexer. I've never heard of anyone loading 9mm with Winchester WST? What is your recipe?

View attachment 5930

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
the offer for inmates to produce ammo may have been quite an incentive.. for them to get out of their cell for some time & have something to do
can be a strong positive reinforcement. Probably got paid a little for their efforts as well.
I spent about 5 yrs. working in a DOC facility (as a contracted employee ), so have some experience working with inmates. There are some jobs inmates are hired to perform, & once an inmate secures a position, they usually will do all they can to keep it, including staying out of trouble..in my experience.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Way back when lots of police depts had Star Loading machines to re load 38SPL Wad cutters for range use... Some actually loaded service ammunition as well.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department's range operated several Stars to provide training ammunition. As in many departments, jail prisoners were often used to operate the Star machines making the ammunition... I would not be very comfortable with that... but maybe they had a better class of prisoners back then...

FWIW

Chuck
We load lots of ammo 3.8 0n low side to 4.2 gr for 124's usually is very close with about 2,9 for 155 gr.
I probably will have a loading day this week for
9mm we cleaned and sorted brass last week, we usually load 2+ times a month and shoot weekly without fail.
bullet.jpg

Latest posts