EZ Add on Rail for 1911

Tactical Woody

Fanatic
Well man I seem to have touched a nerve. Sorry I did not wait the respectable period of time and I did not mean to offend anyone. I like rails as well. Many folks love their older 1911 yet still would like the option of adding a TacLight or Laser. Many don't want anything machined or drilled into their precious metal! A few options available require a screw to go into the trigger guard.. leaving a small hole.

I just posted a simple post saying that for those of you that don't have a rail for the 1911...This one will not scratch or add hardly any weight. It goes on and off in a second...and it works! Simple as that. I initially made these rails for the Marines that were grabbing up 1911's for the war! I also made one for the Beretta M-9. Then I made EZ Rails for the Navy Seals Sigs... Never really advertised them.

So once again I apologize for not understanding protocols. Just wanting to introduce a very good product!

Tactical Woody

Fanatic
Rather disappointing that he/she hasn't posted an introduction yet.
Seems the only reason to vme me here was to peddle this rather unattractive add on rail.
I am beginning to question the friendliness of this sight! You called my product unattractive??? You haven't tried and or even seen it. I know you are the big gun on this site but I feel you have been a little unfair. Yes I didn't immediately reply to everyone. I have my best friend dying from cancer, My cousin as well and a full plate of helping them versus beating up someone on a thread.....

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry to hear of the health issues of your friend and family.

Im not a big gun,.....just a dude with too much time on his hands.

As far as the unfairness is concerned, I've seen pictures. I have not seen it in person, that is true. Show me some other pictures, change my feelings, until so, I feel it is an unattractive add-on.

Last edited:

Tactical Woody

Fanatic
Sorry to hear of the healt issues of your friend and family.

Im not a big gun,.....just another dude with too much time on his hands.

As far as the unfairness is concerned, I've seen pictures. I have not seen it in person, that is true. Show me some other pictures, change my feelings, until so, I feel it is an unattractive add-on.

How about I send you a unit to try out yourself! I got a pretty phenomenal write up from M1911.org a few years back. they even suggested a change...I did it and they liked it even more.
Send me your addy and I'll send you an EZ Rail. That is if you have a 1911 without a rail!!!

Tactical Woody

Fanatic
For the folks from 1911 fanatics... My Name is John Woodmansee...I go by Woody. I have lived all over the world...I flew Attack Helicopters for the Army. Got out as a CW3 with 27 years total time. I started Tactical & Rescue Gear in 1997 with my friend Don Wooten who has Cancer and is dying, and my father a retired Army LTG. I spent the last 20 years designing gear for the US Military and repping companies like Under Armour, Husqvarna, Blackhawk, Colt, and Oakley. I fell 65 feet on fire 9 years ago. broke my whole left side, including neck and back and have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I learned to walk and talk again and 8 years later was able to come back to my company and get it out of the mud. I am usually pretty happy and non confrontational...but I will stand up for my company and my friends. I don't shoot that much anymore but when I did I went around with Claymore and taught the C.A.R. method of shooting and also picked up the Navy Seal Style of shooting from some team 2 guys!
I spend a lot of time restoring old VW's and a 68 Porsche 912. Glad to meet every one!

Last edited:

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
For the folks from 1911 fanatics... My Name is John Woodmansee...I go by Woody. I have lived all over the world...I flew Attack Helicopters for the Army. Got out as a CW3 with 27 years total time. I started Tactical & Rescue Gear in 1997 with my friend Don Wooten who has Cancer and is dying, and my father a retired Army LTG. I spent the last 20 years designing gear for the US Military and repping companies like Under Armour, Husqvarna, Blackhawk, Colt, and Oakley. I fell 65 feet on fire 9 years ago. broke my whole left side, including neck and back and have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I learned to walk and talk again and 8 years later was able to come back to my company and get it out of the mud. I am usually pretty happy and non confrontational...but I will stand up for my company and my friends. I don't shout that much anymore but when I did I went around with Claymore and taught C.A.R. method of shooting and also picked up the Navy Seal Style of shooting from some team 2 guys!
I spend a lot of time restoring old VW's and a 68 Porsche 912. Glad to meet every one!
That's more like it! Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about health issues.
It's just when someone shows up and their first post is to sell something such as a gadget then I (we) are a little skeptical and gun shy of their intentions!! Great group of people here but we watch out for each other to, hence me calling out your first post!

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
For the folks from 1911 fanatics... My Name is John Woodmansee...I go by Woody. I have lived all over the world...I flew Attack Helicopters for the Army. Got out as a CW3 with 27 years total time. I started Tactical & Rescue Gear in 1997 with my friend Don Wooten who has Cancer and is dying, and my father a retired Army LTG. I spent the last 20 years designing gear for the US Military and repping companies like Under Armour, Husqvarna, Blackhawk, Colt, and Oakley. I fell 65 feet on fire 9 years ago. broke my whole left side, including neck and back and have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I learned to walk and talk again and 8 years later was able to come back to my company and get it out of the mud. I am usually pretty happy and non confrontational...but I will stand up for my company and my friends. I don't shout that much anymore but when I did I went around with Claymore and taught C.A.R. method of shooting and also picked up the Navy Seal Style of shooting from some team 2 guys!
I appreciate your introduction. Sorry if we jumped on you, we've become a protective bunch. Welcome.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
At the risk of double posting, I have commented on receiving and mounting the EZ Rail that Woody sent me on the new member thread. I've got it mounted on my Les Baer UTC and will take it to the range tomorrow for a quick workout. Report to follow.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, Folks. Here's my initial evaluation of the EZ Rail. The "package" your receive consists of the rail, a slide stop, and instructions. According to Woody, the rail is made of Delrin and the slide stop is forged. To install the rail you simply remove your stock slide stop pin, slip the rail over the dust cover and slide it back so that the hole on the right side of the rail aligns with the slide stop hole. Insert the replacement slide stop pin so that it mates with the rail arm on the right side and then adjust a tension screw that butts up to the front of the trigger guard. The tension screw simply snugs up the rail so that it doesn't "droop" during firing. The tension screw is "teflon" and won't mar your trigger guard. That's it. I went very slowly when installing it and it still only took me less than two minutes. I'm confident that I can do it in about 30 seconds now. I installed the rail on my Les Baer UTC which is a .38 Super with 550 rounds fired. I also mounted a Surefire X 300 light on it for the test firing. Off to the range.

I fired 25 rounds of my hand loads (124 gr. plated bullets at 1250 fps) and then 25 Atlanta Arms major power factor loads (124 gr. XTP hollow points at 1370 fps). That was enough to convince me that the EZ Rail wasn't going to budge under fire - as long as you install it correctly. That's the good news. The bad news is that 8 out of 9 times the slide failed to lock back when the magazine was empty. The one time that it worked was on the last mag. I used four different mags that had worked fine previously so they're not suspect. Having said that, I wish I had brought more ammo with me so that I could have run some more mag loads to see if the failures were simply due to "breaking in" a different slide stop. I'll probably do some more testing. Woody is aware of my test results and is putting his slide stops through a micrometer to see if something has changed in the latest batch. However, he told me to go ahead and report my results.

My thoughts on this product (yes, I'll get some pictures out next). If you're someone who only has one 1911 and it doesn't have a rail, this might be a good option for you if you can't afford another 1911 with a built-in rail. This rail should mount easily on any 5" or Commander length pistol. You could carry your pistol without the rail and light during the day and then mount the EZ Rail with a light already on it when you get home and have a workable home defense option. Many of us here aren't in that category, myself included, but there are probably quite a few 1911 owners who are. For less than $65 they can turn their un-railed pistol into a dual purpose pistol. Stay tuned.

Latest posts