Ejector Tuning

Baldwin

Fanatic
I have a DW PM9 that I bought new and it now has about 1800 rounds downrange. I love the gun and it shoots fine, but it sprays empty cases everywhere. They bounce off my arm or chest or land up to 8 ft. away. They go anywhere from 1 o'clock to 5. It's been doing this ever since I got it. I have increased the tension on the extractor and I think it's good but it didn't help the ejection pattern. I'm thinking now that it's the ejector. The end of the ejector is angled like this \ and from what I've read it should be angled more like /. I'm new to 1911s and pretty inexperienced with stuff like this but not afraid to tackle something new. But I would like the opinions of some experts.
P.S. - I live out in the boonies and don't know of a gunsmith anywhere close by.4580

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
The ejector will control the direction of the brass travel but the extractor has more to do with the consistency.

Check for clocking as well as the tip of the claw contacting the case. Also you need the proper deflection to allow the extractor enough travel to maintain control of the spent case during the ejection process.

Baldwin

Fanatic
I'm fairly positive that the extractor is not clocking. I cannot make it rotate any in the channel. I probably read too much stuff in the interweb, but I read somewhere that with a round under the claw the base of the case should be flush against the breech face, the tip of the claw should not be touching the case in the cannelure, and the rim of the case should be against the flat place behind the claw. I'm not seeing any of that. See the pics.

Attachments

• extractor.jpg
    extractor.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 59
  • extractor1.jpg
    extractor1.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 58
  • extractor2.jpg
    extractor2.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 58

wrmiller

Fanatic
Judging from the pics provided, the extractor is too long. That case should be on the breach face, held captive by the extractor, and the 'nose' of the extractor should not touch the case as you stated. But it looks like the nose of the extractor would indeed touch if the case were properly registered.

Call EGW, they may be able to help.

KHFrench

Fanatic
I'm fairly positive that the extractor is not clocking. I cannot make it rotate any in the channel. I probably read too much stuff in the interweb, but I read somewhere that with a round under the claw the base of the case should be flush against the breech face, the tip of the claw should not be touching the case in the cannelure, and the rim of the case should be against the flat place behind the claw. I'm not seeing any of that. See the pics.
Seems to be too much bend in the extractor. Re-tune it to fit without contacting the case.

KHFrench

Fanatic
I have a DW PM9 that I bought new and it now has about 1800 rounds downrange. I love the gun and it shoots fine, but it sprays empty cases everywhere. They bounce off my arm or chest or land up to 8 ft. away. They go anywhere from 1 o'clock to 5. It's been doing this ever since I got it. I have increased the tension on the extractor and I think it's good but it didn't help the ejection pattern. I'm thinking now that it's the ejector. The end of the ejector is angled like this \ and from what I've read it should be angled more like /. I'm new to 1911s and pretty inexperienced with stuff like this but not afraid to tackle something new. But I would like the opinions of some experts.
P.S. - I live out in the boonies and don't know of a gunsmith anywhere close by.View attachment 4580
I had to come back and ask one more question, is this a .45 ACP? In the photo showing a round on the breech face it looks like 9mm?

KHFrench

Fanatic
I had to come back and ask one more question, is this a .45 ACP? In the photo showing a round on the breech face it looks like 9mm?
Okay - I looked it up, yes a DW in 9mm. I can say without doubt that this pistol does not have the correct ejector installed. The ejector in the photo is the "short" version used with .45 ACP. The 9mm should have a "long" version to ensure proper ejection. I know because I manufacture 1911's.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay - I looked it up, yes a DW in 9mm. I can say without doubt that this pistol does not have the correct ejector installed. The ejector in the photo is the "short" version used with .45 ACP. The 9mm should have a "long" version to ensure proper ejection. I know because I manufacture 1911's.
Or because you want the ejector nose to bend.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All my 9mm 1911s have long ejectors . At least longer than that one . Call DW and find out what they install .

wrmiller

Fanatic
Ha! completely missed the 45 ejector, I was so busy concentrating on the extractor. Nice catch! :)

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I thought it was rather common knowledge that DW installs these incorrect ejectors in their 9mm models.

One of the reasons I've never cared for DW, their lack of properly building pistols is extremely overlooked by the DW herd.