Dan Wesson PM-C .45 - Fail after 6 rounds

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Got my VBOB 10 back yesterday. DW/Endre claimed that whole problem was my using a shock buffer. I told him that I have shock buffers on all my 1911's (DW's, SA's, Kimbers) without issue. And I didn't install the shock buffer on the VBOB until after 100 rnds and the problem occurred before the installation. Whatever.
They did however modify the notch in the slide for the release ...
All seems to be good at this point. Range testing will happen this weekend.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
A bullsquat answer. A shockbuffer will not cause issues until it deteriorates and starts to distort.

What lube do you plan on using?

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed. But, the end result is what matters.

I'm using the recommended FP-10. I've had no issues with it on any of my others.

Both my 5" & 4" Valors get run about 50-100 rnds then get cleaned and kept wet. At this point they are both young.

Last edited:

david_root2000

Fanatic
I bought a Valor and PM-9. Oiled the heck out of them and shot them a lot. The PM-9 is getting less than 2" for 5 shots @ 50 yards. Both run great. First few hundred rounds both had a couple of fail to battery. Its all good now, thousands of runds later. Both are now a year old. We shoot 3 matches a week and practice. 97% hand loads.

I only use FP-10

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
Get rid of the buffer, don't need it. They will lock up the gun when they break. Might cause the slide not to lock back and ejection problems.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Get rid of the buffer, don't need it. They will lock up the gun when they break. Might cause the slide not to lock back and ejection problems.
Never had any issues with any of my guns running the buffer until this VBOB.
My previous CBOB and my DW VALKYRIE & 5" VALOR all work great with them installed.
As far as breaking, I examine them every time that I clean them, which is everytime that I shoot.

Kinda odd that I have never had problems and that so many quality makers offer them.

Koda

Fanatic
@terdog
No manufacturer is going to honor their warranty on aftermarket parts they did not design or sell the gun with. Sure Ive got my gripes against DW, but that is not one of them.

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
Never had any issues with any of my guns running the buffer until this VBOB.
My previous CBOB and my DW VALKYRIE & 5" VALOR all work great with them installed.
As far as breaking, I examine them every time that I clean them, which is everytime that I shoot.

Kinda odd that I have never had problems and that so many quality makers offer them.
I examined mine every time I cleaned it but it broke anyway and locked up the gun. Don't need it, why take the chance. I wouldn't run them in a carry gun.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
@terdog
No manufacturer is going to honor their warranty on aftermarket parts they did not design or sell the gun with. Sure Ive got my gripes against DW, but that is not one of them.

My point was that the issue 1st occurred WITHOUT the buffer. After the issue and when I cleaned her after that range session is when I installed the buffer. So it happened with and without the buffer.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
So terdog, do you have a range report for us?

Unfortunately, no. Haven't had the time to hit the range.
Was gonna head out tonight after work, but we had lighting storms roll through the area and I have a large group ride this weekend, so it was time to work on mine and the GF's bikes to get them ready. Hopefully tomorrow ...

Koda

Fanatic
My point was that the issue 1st occurred WITHOUT the buffer. After the issue and when I cleaned her after that range session is when I installed the buffer. So it happened with and without the buffer.
My apologies if I missed the 1st part where it occurred without the buffer. I know from my own many warranty returns with DW that all function testing has to be done with their mags and no aftermarket parts.... any manufacturer actually. I know people make quality buffers but the 1911 was not designed to use them. Its going to be hard to convince them its the gun and not the buffer. What I would do is take a quick video of you shooting a mag that fails without the buffer.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Koda, no worries.
DW did chastise me but did do some work on a warranty basis.
I was more disappointed with their attitude.
When I spend over $2K for a pistol, I expect to be treated as a valued customer.

I'm a lowly propane delivery driver, yet I treat every customer as if they are the most important customer of mine.SIG SAUER P250 003.jpg

Trump.45

Fanatic
Koda, no worries.
DW did chastise me but did do some work on a warranty basis.
I was more disappointed with their attitude.
When I spend over $2K for a pistol, I expect to be treated as a valued customer.

I'm a lowly propane delivery driver, yet I treat every customer as if they are the most important customer of mine.View attachment 5487
Your absolutely correct. You want to be treated with a feeling of importance. It's like a surgeon promising the surgery will be successful. When it isn't. They ask you what YOU did wrong!

david_root2000

Fanatic
I bought a new Kimber Micro 9 with CT laser grips. The trigger was so bad that the gun would shake in my hands trying to fire it. 9 lbs. I took it apart. The sear was crooked (bent) and only 1/2 made contact with the hammer. I futzed with it and got it to shoot. Later I found more problems and sent it in. They called me and said the gun had been worked on by a third party. $150.00 to fix the fire control system.

I was wrong. I should have not messed with it.

I had it returned Unrepaired. I installed a Sig P938 sear in it.

So you were not treated as bad as I was.

David

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry for your experience with Kimber. That sucks.

And that's exactly why I sent mine back.
Let them fix it. I don't mind the small stuff , extractor tension for example, but spending that kind of money makes me want my stuff right.

HB Rider

Active Fanatic
I picked up a new Dan Wesson Pointman Carry .45 yesterday (my 7th Dan Wesson 1911). I inspected it with the sales staff, it appeared to be range-ready (it didn't appear to be dry, as I got some oil on my fingers when working the action), so I took it to the range. It shoots great and feels wonderful in my hands. I really like Dan Wesson pistols.

Unfortunately, it locked up tight after the 6th round. Dan Wesson responded to my on-line warranty claim at 6:30 this morning, and the gun is going back today, but I'm disappointed, to say the least. (Dan Wesson is already blaming me, without even seeing the gun.)

Here is the video of my experience:

Thoughts and comments from those with more experience are appreciated. (I only have 45 1911 pistols and I'm not a 1911 armorer, so I certainly don't have all the answers.)

September 5th Follow-up: Dan Wesson did a great, quick turn-around. Had the gun back in 9 days all fixed up and running perfect. Here's the follow-up video: (I still believe that Dan Wesson makes the finest "production" 1911 pistols.)

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
My Valor Government no longer works either. This is the second of three DW guns that I own that failed. I'm pretty much done with them.

Latest posts