Dan Wesson PM-C .45 - Fail after 6 rounds

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess all manufacturers have issues and I shouldn't be shocked Dan Wesson is no different, am surprised at customer service, all I've ever heard is how great everything about DW is, when folks post I'm looking for a 1911, budget 700, you get a lot of save up more and get a Dan Wesson, I hope these situations are exceptions not the rule but generally if same people in customer service every day it usually doesn't go good, bad, good, bad, it's either good or bad

Retired Badge

Fanatic
Interesting. In to see what the issue is.
I bought a new Guardian 9mm a couple of months ago. I went through the break in by the book. I used seven different mags, 115gr, 124gr, 147gr and it will fail to into battery about 2-3 times a mag. I contracted DW (it took a while too) and they had me send it in. First email was I didn't send them a mag and they fired it with no issues so it was a users error. I have been carrying on duty and off duty and shooting 1911 since 1978. I also own 3 DW so it isn't it me. What is so weird is they sent it back with a list of about 15 things they did to the pistol including the extractor.

I haven't taken it back to the range so to health problems, but we shall see.

I hope yours will be fixed and sent back soon.

Colobill

New Fanatic
I have the same gun and was very pleased when I got it. However I found that the CS people are not very helpful or friendly, after several try's to reach them on the phone I gave up and went to email, My concern was what I thought unusual wear on the barrel, I was told that was normal, also because of the fiber optic front sight after 200 rounds, it fell off! it was only glued on, when I emailed them about this condition they told to send it back on my dime and they would reglue it,nice!!!! I'm not sure that I will be looking at more DW.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic
I can say that the people at Sig are stellar. I wanted a small grip module for the P320 and they sent me the wrong one (it was actually defective) and they were great to finally take the pistol back and change it out themselves and didn't charge me because of the hassle.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't buy a DW
After all these years, Thera are still guns galling and jamming up.
None for me thanks

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Despite my having 2 different guns that had , what I call "minor" issues, and DW's questionable CS, I'd still have to say that they are my favorite and a great deal for the $$$.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I am really disappointed with all of the feedback here on DW firearms! I have been considering a purchase of one of these guns based on prior reputation. I think I will pass on this for now and stick with my Sigs, Colt's and SA 1911's for now. Sorry to those of you that have had to deal with such crappy customer service!
I bought my 1st DW last year, a beautiful brand new 10mm Bruin ($2,000 plus tax). My buddy also bought one at the same time (i.e., vol discount). Mine worked fine, but my buddy was not so lucky. His jammed each and every magazine, and we also tried my mags which worked fine in my gun, but his continued to jam. He decided to send it back to DW since it was brand new. After 6 weeks, they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong w/ the gun. The head GS was a Seal, and he could not work the gun either so back to DW again. After 8 weeks they determined it was the magazines. The user jammed them in so tight, the gun jammed. Apparently it was user error.

I cut out a lot of the story about the yelling and hollering by the LGS and DW. So after 3 months, they supposedly did nothing except replace the mags, and the gun is now fine. I don't appreciate paying $2,000 for a gun that won't work from day 1, and takes 3 months to repair what (supposedly) turned out to be nothing.

I like my Bruin, but it's the last DW I will ever purchase.

As a comparison, my .44 mag Desert Eagle jammed 4-5 times going thru 1 box of ammo (I bought the gun used for $700- great buy). I tried everything, but it continued to give me problems. I finally sent it to Magnum Research. They had it 4 days, then called me to let me know the gun was finished and working fine! They charged me $165 (incl S&H), had the gun 1 1/2 weeks, and now everything runs fine. No special calls, no emails, just normal route thru CS. Great service, now I'm one happy customer spreading the word. Maybe some others in the industry are listening...

Last edited:

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I know that "Keith", the lead GS at DW hangs out on that other 1911 forum (run by a jackwagon nazi) and comments often. Too bad he's not here.

spclopr8tr

New Fanatic
My PM-9 had a similar problem with galling. I ran 50 rounds and cleaned with no issues. Ran another 50 rounds and cleaned but then couldn't get the slide back on the rails. Tried everything, but nothing worked. Finally contacted DW CS (Keith) who said to send it back at their expense. They said it had suffered from galling and that they had re-hand fitted it. I've had no problems since. This seems to be an issue only with their stainless guns. I've never had any problems with my tough coated Valor or ECO. My experience with their CS was several years ago. But I had nothing but good support when I dealt with them.

Wolfstar

New Fanatic
Sounds like an incorrect grade of stainless (along with machining issues), to have this much trouble with galling on sliderails. Too soft. If it was purchased from Chinese sources a common problem is them selling the stock as high grade and then substituting low grade when shipping. Everyone today is using steels from red china now that they are crushing our industries out of existence due to dumping. A lot of it is terrible quality.

Could this be the problem. Thats is up to DW to trace their stainless stock and have it tested by a lab. You get what you pay for in steels. 1911s have been around a long time. This is not rocket science. Ask how many people with a high power 30 year old 10mm Colt Delta Elite have had slide rail galling so severe that the slide is galled on the frame. We bought stainless .40s at my department in lots of hundreds of pistols most of which were never hardly even oiled. Never saw this problem.

The big issue here is Dan Wesson. They should own up to this cluster and say they either used the wrong grade stainless not weapons grade(their blue carbon steel guns dont have the problem) or they are using the wrong design tolerances in the machining causing the parts to be too tight when the gun is fired getting crud in the rails or heat related changes such as slide warping during temp cycling.

It should have been fixed as soon as this issue surfaced by changes at the manufacturer. And telling customers to fire 300 to 500 rounds through a gun before it is reliable is absurd. It should be reliable to the point you can stake your life on the thing from the first box(as many customers do).

Dan Wesson has a huge PR problem now.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I have 3 DW's, 2 .45's and a 9mm, they all run great. They are tight, but that is a plus, I'm betting that the one in question somehow got by without the final fitting process. As mentioned by the OP, the slide felt good out of the box, but then. just enough heat, and a big STOP. CNC machines sometimes have errors. Just my $ .02 worth. Hope it all works out.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Just curious. The number of complaints seem to escalate with the newer stuff.

I accept that anything made by man can malfunction. But most of us expect 3 things.
1) bad units decrease with the rise in cost. More bang for the buck.
2) the CS will be happy to repair fix until its right and not blame the consumer.

My VBOB is due to be returned to me today. I really hope that they have fixed it.

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
I bought a 9MM Valkyrie Commander last year. It's been 100% so far. But it ain't SS against SS, has an aluminum frame. The first thing with a new pistol is to clean it and run it wet.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I would think they got the wrong steel like others have mentioned. My much less expensive Ruger 1911 is a 45 and all Stainless, no problems.
I am surprised That I do not have many, well just that Ruger that is a all Stainless Steel Simi-auto. I have three or four SS Revolvers. Luck of the draw as I have no real preference.
I will re-think that now.

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
I too have a Ruger CMD SS, works like a champ, I do keep it lubed tho. I use Tetra Grease on the rails. One part need to be a different hardness, if the slide and frame are identical material of the same hardness they are likely to gall. Keep them well lubed no matter what. Except Glock of course, do what you want with them except lube the connector.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I too have a Ruger CMD SS, works like a champ, I do keep it lubed tho. I use Tetra Grease on the rails. One part need to be a different hardness, if the slide and frame are identical material of the same hardness they are likely to gall. Keep them well lubed no matter what. Except Glock of course, do what you want with them except lube the connector.
Thanks I just bought some Tetra last month and lubed my Ruger and RIA, I had never used grease till then …. on a gun.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Go buy some of this.....it's the ONLY lube I use on stainless slide rails. Back in the day this kept the AMT running

Latest posts