AR-15 Magazines

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
Ive wondered that myself. Pretty much any question youve ever had about the platform he has answered.
Have you watched the magazine series? I know I learned more than a few things from it. I now own and use ASC mags along with pmags and Lancer, especially for my 6.8spc guns.

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a thought, only firearms I have bipods on are my bolt guns. Don't have an AR with one?! Might need to change that. I probably should pick up a few lower than standard capacity magazines:)
20rd pmags are a good length. I always shoot with a bipod and a rear squeeze bag either prone or off a bench and I always use a 20, works well.
Try to het a bipod that will adjust to 45degrees fwd if you can. I like those types, and you can get pretty low to the ground with them.

I know everybody and their brothers buy Atlas, and I have one too, but honest ingen, I like the Sierra S7 a little better. Man that thing is freakishly strong, and very, very, very well built.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Ive wondered that myself. Pretty much any question youve ever had about the platform he has answered.
Have you watched the magazine series? I know I learned more than a few things from it. I now own and use ASC mags along with pmags and Lancer, especially for my 6.8spc guns.
Have you tried c-products 68 mags. 1646846464808.gif

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic

Washington state legislature passes magazine restrictions

Quote:
Magazine capacity isn't really a limiting factor for criminals, only the good guys. As the aggressors in every engagement, they can set the tone of the fight and reloading isn't really an issue for them. For all the horrors of Parkland, people forget that the killer used 10-round magazines. That wasn't exactly a low-intensity school shooting by any stretch of the imagination.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
Pmags with and without windows. 5.56,.300bo, .308. 10's, 20's, 25's and 30's. No problems after five years.
For my 6.5 Grendel I use E Landers with Ranger plates, Good for metal mags.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Pmags with and without windows. 5.56,.300bo, .308. 10's, 20's, 25's and 30's. No problems after five years.
For my 6.5 Grendel I use E Landers with Ranger plates, Good for metal mags.
Hard to beat Pmag's. I have seen only two that failed. One was run over by a PU and the other was crushed in the closing of a PU tailgate.
Out of 2k+

1646922169393.gif

deepsquatter804

Fanatic
What magazines do you guys use and.what is your experience with reliability and durability?
I've used Hexmags, Brownells, Magpul, ASC, PRI and Lancer mags. I've used the first 3 for classes and the range and the last 3 at the range only.
I've never had a problem with the Hexmag Gen 2 series. I've run those in 2 day classes and 4 day classes. Their first mags had some issues but they fixed them. If I recall correctly those wouldn't drop free all the time. They also tended to bulge when filled to capacity.

No problems with the Brownells mags. (30 rounders or those limited to 10 rounds with Magazine Blocks brand blocks- California) They feed well and drop freely. I have one lower that has a tight mag well. Brownells (and ASC mags will drop freely whereas some of my Magpuls/Hexmags hang up a bit. (only in that rifle)

Magpul Gen3 are great. I had an issue during a class with one of their Gen2 mags. Tossed it and popped in a Gen3 and gun ran perfectly again. No problems with Gen3 at all. 30 rounders, 20 rounders and 10 rounders are all good to go.

No problems with ASC mags except that their 10 round mags (30 round body and 10 round body) only hold 9 rounds. You can force a 10th round in some of them but you can expect problems-dented top cartridge and feed problems. Standard capacity work fine.

I have some PRI mags for 6.8 SPC. They work well over all. I've had one problem with one of them and that could have been ammo related. They are made to allow for the longer loads you can buy/load and I had a problem with one of those. Not sure I'd pay the premium price for those for 5.56 when Brownells, Hexmags or Magpuls are so much cheaper. On sale, you can get three mags for what it costs for one PRI.

I only have a couple of Lancer mags but they've given me no trouble.

Finally, if you have to go with 10 rounders and/or a magazine lock in your state, I'd go with the Magpul short mags. If you have a type three malfuntion, the baseplate is easy to remove. This happened to a guy at the range in the lane next to me. He had a magazine lock and the double feed caused the bolt carrier to get stuck halfway into the buffer tube - no way to separate the upper and lower. I had a screwdriver in my bag and was able to pop the base plate off for him so the spring, follower and remaining rounds would drop free. We were able to work the stuck rounds loose after that. 5 minutes at the range and no big deal. Probably a huge problem in a self preservation scenario.

I'm from California so I've got plenty of experience with 10 rounders. When I go out of state for classes I'm able to use 30 rounders. I just pack mag blocks and epoxy. After the class, I block them before I return. It's a pain but at least I get more mags for the range here.

Hope this helps.

Inteliknight

New Fanatic
I've never used Amend2 mags but decent deal at KYGunCo
Amend2 mags are very good. I have moved to them exclusively.
They are also made in the good ol USA in the grate state of IDAHO.
Honestly though, I have not had one fail on me yet.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Magpul MAG571-BLK PMAG GEN M2 MOE 223 Rem,5.56x45mm NATO AR-15,M4,M16 30rd Black

$7.99