Alternative calibers for the AR platform

BobT

Fanatic
Second, what's up with the 277 Wolverine? Is it an ARP tube? Like it?

The barrels are from Mad Dog Weapons Systems, I love the Wolverine, I think it's what the 6.8 SPC should have been. The Wolverine uses standard 5.56 or .223 parts and magazines, the only change required is a barrel. Brass is formed from 5.56 or .223 and is also available from Starline and Hornady. A great low recoil round for new or younger shooters, it works very well on deer and hogs.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a few 5.56 /223 Ar's & decided that since I hd a Mini 14 & a Mini 30, I should get a 7.62 X 38 AR upper, for a couple of reasons.
When I started shooting both my Ruger's with some regularity, I became aware of their shortcomings..and also things I disliked about them.
Everythings so easy to add or modify on an AR platform rifle. Also so many options/ accessories for them, they really are like Babrbie dolls for adults !
I like the idea of a 30 cal bullet, shot from an Ar-15 siZed rifle.

As I had several issues with a PSA AR-15 I'd bought, I was reluctant to buy any other PSA product, but decided to give the company another try.
Bought a PSA 7.62 X 39 upper & BCG, put it on a Bushmaster lower that I'd had my gunsmith do trigger work on., It became my most accurate AR!
Able to consistently shoot 1/2" groups @ 50 yds..with my handloads. Have had a few groups well under 1/2 " , using Hornady Z-Max Zombie bullets.

Since the PSA 7.62 X39 was so much better than I expected, I decided to try an AR-10, also from PSA.. (they call 'em PA-10)
Mine has an 18" SS barrel w/ 1:10 twist. After mounting a decent scope, I added a CMC single stage trigger ,& this rifle shot much nicer,
& more accurately than my (previous ) favorite rifle, my M1A Scout Squad. After I reaized I hadn't shot my M1A
for the past few years, sold it this past summer. Yeah, I really like the AR platform..but the 3 calibers I have is enough for me.

well, for awhile anyway..actually forgot..I did recently add an AR-9 (9mm) rifle (16" barrel) for fun, & to see if it could shoot a 9mm accurately @ 50 yds, or longer.
Didn't take long to discover, that it can.

Last edited:

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a few 5.56 /223 Ar's & decided that since I hd a Mini 14 & a Mini 30, I should get a 7.62 X 38 AR upper, for a couple of reasons.
When I started shooting both my Ruger's with some regularity, I became aware of their shortcomings..and also things I disliked about them.
Everythings so easy to add or modify on an AR platform rifle. Also so many options/ accessories for them, they really are like Babrbie dolls for adults !

As I had several issues with a PSA AR-15 I'd bought, I was reluctant to buy any other PSA product, but decided to give the company another try.
Bought a PSA upper & BCG, put it on a Bushmaster lower that I'd had my gunsmith do trigger work on., It became my most accurate AR!
Able to consistently shoot 1/2" groups @ 50 yds..with my handloads.

Since the PSA 7.62 X39 was so much better than I expected, I decided to try an AR-10, also from PSA.. (they call 'em PA-10)
Mine has an 18" SS barrel w/ 1:10 twist. After mounting a decent scope, I added a CMC single stage trigger ,
& this shot much nicer, & more accurately, then my then mu previous favorite rifle, my M1A Scout Squad. After I reaized I hadn't shot my M1A
for the past few years, sold it this past summer. Yeah, I really like the AR platform..but the 3 calibers I have is enough for me.
No No No! never sell the M1A------A. Just put it in the back of the safe and keep it nice and warm and comfy. The PA-10 will stand guard for the M1A, They do get along with each other. I have seen it! Honest!!!!

Yes the problems with the 7.62x39 was fixed five+ years ago. they should be a 1moa@100 with a nice 2x7 scope and Tula 122gr that was .17-.20 cents a round before Brandon show up and it is a GREAT range toy. :)

Joe do you know why PSA calls their unit a PA-10, A little background info, AR10 is Armilite's trademark. PSA is PA-10, DPMS was LR308. Some tried to use AR10 but Armilite shut them down for trademark infringement. FYI

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Bought a PSA 7.62 X 39 upper & BCG, put it on a Bushmaster lower that I'd had my gunsmith do trigger work on., It became my most accurate AR!
Able to consistently shoot 1/2" groups @ 50 yds..with my handloads. Have had a few groups well under 1/2 " , using Hornady Z-Max Zombie bullets.

Mine has an 18" SS barrel w/ 1:10 twist. After mounting a decent scope, I added a CMC single stage trigger ,& this rifle shot much nicer,
& more accurately than my (previous ) favorite rifle, my M1A Scout Squad. After I reaized I hadn't shot my M1A

well, for awhile anyway..actually forgot..I did recently add an AR-9 (9mm) rifle (16" barrel) for fun, & to see if it could shoot a 9mm accurately @ 50 yds, or longer.
Didn't take long to discover, that it can.
Those rifles sound like they are fun to shoot. What's the pull weight rating on the CMC trigger? I put a CMC trigger in my AR-15 with a 2.5 lb. pull. It's pretty sweet, but it's as light as I would be willing to go on an AR.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe my CMC trigger is 3.5#.. & it is my (almost) favorite AR trigger,.. 'cept for the one my gunsmith did on my Bushmaster lower.

& I hung on to my M1A a lot longer than I should have.. (had it X 10 yrs) I did get a nice return on my investment , when it sold.
Anyone reading this, does anyone need M1A mags ? Got a few, brand new, SS ones I found , that I'd forgot I bought.

I only have so much space, & (dare I admit it ?) , I have too many rifles as it is.. since I've always considered myself a "pistolero" .
For years, I almost never shot the rifles I owned. After retiring, told myself.. " You need to shoot those rifles while you still can." ,
& have been making a lot of progress in this area the past year.

Last edited:

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe my CMC trigger is 3.5#.. & it is my (almost) favorite AR trigger,.. 'cept for the one my gunsmith did on my Bushmaster lower.

& I hung on to my M1A a lot longer than I should have.. (had it X 10 yrs) I did get a nice return on my investment , when it sold.
Anyone reading this, does anyone need M1A mags ? Got a few, brand new, SS ones I found , that I'd forgot I bought.

I only have so much space, & (dare I admit it ?) , I have too many rifles as it is.. since I've always considered myself a "pistolero" .
For years, I almost never shot the rifles I owned. After retiring, told myself.. " You need to shoot those rifles while you still can." ,
& have been making a lot of progress in this area the past year.
Can we PM on this site? SS check-mates?

batman4706

Fanatic
Looking at 45 acp pcc , any suggestions ?

Check with Rudy at Macon Armory, he has a DI 45 set up that is much better than the blow backs.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all, I've been missing for awhile, had to have open heart surgery, for a couple of by-passes, looks like I've missed a lot of interesting reading! This post showed up, so here is my contribution. This is one of my builds,(mostly from one of my actual gun smith buddies) it's in .45 acp. I know, the forward assist dosen't do anything, but it is handy for a brass catcher attachment.

Attachments

• AR45 1 web.jpg
    AR45 1 web.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 8

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
what kind of brass catcher do you use that attached to the forward assist ?
I have a couple of Caldwell catches that use a bracket attached to the top rail.
Consider a brass catcher as a must have item for all my AR's.

oh, that's a pretty cool looking AR you posted..is it supressed ?

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup, thats a sig suppressor that lives on that one. Not movie quiet, but none are, but shoutable without ears. I'm not sure of the brand on the catchers, my gunsmith buddy has them down at his place, if I recall, they attach to the rail, and have a small loop at the rear, that keeps them open, the loop fits over the pusher. That is it's only function. You also get co-witness with the back up sights and the Holosun(green dot) if you want it. I was VERY happy with it when it was finished. Ended up with about $1400 actual cost in it. It's in the "never sell" section of my toys.
Thanks for the compliment!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! 2007, now that makes me feel better, as you remember, they don't give out warrantee information. Not something I want to repeat, that's for sure. I want to be in the woods for deer season, about 4 weeks off, will use a ground blind, probably won't be tree climbing, that's for sure.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't skimp on rehab, really helps but you will be back to normal before you know it, climbing trees probably not a good idea for a little bit, it's amazing how much you do that you feel in your chest!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hi all, I've been missing for awhile, had to have open heart surgery, for a couple of by-passes, looks like I've missed a lot of interesting reading! This post showed up, so here is my contribution. This is one of my builds,(mostly from one of my actual gun smith buddies) it's in .45 acp. I know, the forward assist dosen't do anything, but it is handy for a brass catcher attachment.

Glad to see you back Mike. Hope your doing fine.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to see you here, posting , after your procedure, Mike.
I saw a cardiac/vascular surgeon for my rt/ lower leg..venous stasis ulcer. A Nurse Practitioner friend sent me to see him.
He did a ablation procedure on my greater saphenous vein, and after 2 yrs of different treatments, & going to the wound clinic every Monday
for a pressure dressing application for the past 6 months..my stasis ulcer, the size of a dime..finally healed. Feels great to shower w/o a plastic bag over my leg.

I know what I went thru is nothing compared to having your chest cracked open for cardiac surgery.
Just saying, don't risk a problem trying to rush your recovery. Take the time it takes for your body to heal.
Best wishes for your recovery.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Good to see you back. I'm glad you're getting better.