Alternative calibers for the AR platform

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The Ithaca's are great, love the pink bead front sight, Winchester model 12 is next on my shotgun wish list, they have gotten pretty pricey
That front sight you mentioned was a RayBar sight. They worked great in lower light. I had one on my 37, and on on my Ithaca semiauto 22. I think it was the x15 or the x 5. It had an incredible trigger, and to this day it remains the most accurate 22 I've ever owned. I foolishly traded it in the early 70's for my first 10/22. I absolutely love those too!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh man the ones we let get away‍♂️Mine an Ithaca/SKB SxS model 200, beautiful double barrel, good info on that sight, never realized they made a 22. I bought a model 51 semi auto, one of best looking shotguns I've got, got it because really inexpensive, less than a 37 in good condition, did a little research to see why so reasonable(after the purchase, not best time to do research)they have a fatal flaw, don't remember exactly what it is, got to look it back up but no parts available for them, it can be fixed but not easy so kinda scared to shoot it. Need to let my gunsmith buddy look at it. Most Itaca stuff very good it never occurred to me there was one with an issue

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh man the ones we let get away‍♂️Mine an Ithaca/SKB SxS model 200, beautiful double barrel, good info on that sight, never realized they made a 22. I bought a model 51 semi auto, one of best looking shotguns I've got, got it because really inexpensive, less than a 37 in good condition, did a little research to see why so reasonable(after the purchase, not best time to do research)they have a fatal flaw, don't remember exactly what it is, got to look it back up but no parts available for them, it can be fixed but not easy so kinda scared to shoot it. Need to let my gunsmith buddy look at it. Most Itaca stuff very good it never occurred to me there was one with an issue
Check with Diamond Gunsmithing in Ithaca, New York
1660504905291.gif

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
The one that I always wanted was The Ithaca Mag-10 "Road Blocker"

But never got one.
1660505812716.gif

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Thx for the information, I've seen those 10 ga on Gunbroker, very nice, at almost 68 I'd have to think twice about shouldering a 10 ga!I really am a fan of shotguns though, saw this one on YouTube from Shotshow, Tokerev USA, less than 300.00, Turkish made but really looks good, imported by SDS, same importers of Tisas, this the marine coat, man have I ever hijacked this topic

Attachments

• 74777AA8-7B6A-4CBA-BCB1-1E7E0C0358C2.png
    74777AA8-7B6A-4CBA-BCB1-1E7E0C0358C2.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry to hear you may have bought a lemon. I bought a 220 single shot savage 20 ga. and put it in the safe. Got it out a couple weeks ago, oh ****! Safety does not work, and the front screw of the trigger guard is missing. Of course the screw is buried deep inside the action. well at least I have a parts gun now, lol. Have you checked Gun Parts for what you need? Otherwise just do a google search, It's what I do when I have stuff crop up after the fact. By the way I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who does their research after the fact!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The one that I always wanted was The Ithaca Mag-10 "Road Blocker"

But never got one.
View attachment 27871
If I remember correctly, Years ago Chuck Taylor tested one of those out. What a gun!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Ouch I hate it's a parts gun now. I haven't checked Gun Parts but I'm sure my gunsmith buddy knows of them, he's just incredible, revolvers, single or double barrel, 1911's, he can fix them all, he just has completely disassembled an old Savage SxS my oldest sons wife's parents found in her grandmothers house in a closet, finish in terrible shape so he took apart so we can refinish, I couldn't believe all the parts! Anyway the most serious problem of the 51 is it snaps the slide assembly bars, can't buy them so have to tig repair what you have but man these shotguns are gorgeous, mine has the gold engraving, so nice looking, tempted to just start shooting it and see what happens, not a home defense gun so not trusting my life to it

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow what a beast that Mag 10 must have been, gettin a bruise just thinking about it! But, now that I DO think about it probably not any worse than a 12 ga pump or double barrel, gas operated would help tame recoil a little I would think

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Thx for the information, I've seen those 10 ga on Gunbroker, very nice, at almost 68 I'd have to think twice about shouldering a 10 ga!I really am a fan of shotguns though, saw this one on YouTube from Shotshow, Tokerev USA, less than 300.00, Turkish made but really looks good, imported by SDS, same importers of Tisas, this the marine coat, man have I ever hijacked this topic
Yea well, the OP BillBro68 has not been seen sense Mar 10th.
What are you talking about, The Ithaca Mag 10 is only 11 pounds!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
11lbs! That would certainly soak up some recoil and if he hasn't been heard from since March I won't feel as bad. I just looked up the Mag 10 on Gunbroker, 8 or 10 on there, nice beefy looking shotgun, didn't see any auctions but 925.00 and up

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
That looks A LOT like the Mossberg 500 that we sold in the gun store back in the 90's, along with the marine 870's. I sold one to a lady cop for protecting their cabin on Beaver Island in Mi. They wanted it for bear protection! She was really cool! The bears up there apparently have no respect for law and order, kinda like Clyde in Every which but loose!
Ouch I hate it's a parts gun now. I haven't checked Gun Parts but I'm sure my gunsmith buddy knows of them, he's just incredible, revolvers, single or double barrel, 1911's, he can fix them all, he just has completely disassembled an old Savage SxS my oldest sons wife's parents found in her grandmothers house in a closet, finish in terrible shape so he took apart so we can refinish, I couldn't believe all the parts! Anyway the most serious problem of the 51 is it snaps the slide assembly bars, can't buy them so have to tig repair what you have but man these shotguns are gorgeous, mine has the gold engraving, so nice looking, tempted to just start shooting it and see what happens, not a home defense gun so not trusting my life to it
Just stay safe if you shoot it.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Might have messed sending this up so one more time

Attachments

• 03BC32AE-86EB-49EC-88F4-B49D824DDF05.png
    03BC32AE-86EB-49EC-88F4-B49D824DDF05.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • D54DDC4E-38A6-49A1-92F5-8585C5CDCEE9.png
    D54DDC4E-38A6-49A1-92F5-8585C5CDCEE9.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah it does, very similar looking, the 870 marine coated really have gone up in price. Man those bears just have no respect at all lol

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm something of an oddity in the AR15 community in that I don't own one in 5.56/.223. I have 2 in the .277 Wolverine caliber and a third barrel waiting to be made into another one. I have a 6mm Mongoose, sort of a maximized 6x45. I also have a couple of .300 Blackout pistols that I enjoy shooting with my Banish30 suppressor. I think my next one will be a .450 Bushmaster. A PCC in .45ACP sounds like fun too!

Wow, just realized this is my first post, I've been a member for a while, thanks for having me!
Let me know how you like the 450BM

Latest posts