2011 High Plains Shooting Challenge, June 25th & 26th

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Why did Stages 2 and 12 get deleted? Also, tell me about some of the stages with a score of 100.00? Is that the "par" time?

Good job BoommerShooter representatives!
100 points is the guy/gal that won the stage (best total time) in their division.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm not quite sure how the other scores are generated. I was trying to get Jesse to explain it to me earlier but we were both kinda busy & didn't connect.

Chambers

actual GM
Lowest time (stage winner) / your time = your percent. If you shoot a stage in twice as long, you get half as many points.

Not that hard guys. :)

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
There's no hit factor in time-plus, vickers, whatever scoring.

Top shooter shoots a stage in 10 seconds he gets 100 points, you shoot it in 20 you get 50 points.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Only if the hits are the same.

All stages are 100 pts, even the 8-shot stages, as are the 30-shot stages.

This scoring gave a bonus of -1/4 second for each A zone hit, up to two. (entire head is considered an A zone) A C zone was neutral (no time subtracted or added) while a D hit added 1/2 second each, up to two.

For minor (.223) a single A zone was sufficient to "kill" the target. For major, (.308) a single C zone or better sufficed. Or two shots anywhere with any caliber worked.

Two problems were pointed out to me:

1). It takes longer to score the targets than other methods

2). You score better with a single A zone than you do with an A zone coupled with a D zone.

It wad my first match with this kind of scoring. I found it interesting.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Only if the hits are the same.

All stages are 100 pts, even the 8-shot stages, as are the 30-shot stages.

This scoring gave a bonus of -1/4 second for each A zone hit, up to two. (entire head is considered an A zone) A C zone was neutral (no time subtracted or added) while a D hit added 1/2 second each, up to two.

For minor (.223) a single A zone was sufficient to "kill" the target. For major, (.308) a single C zone or better sufficed. Or two shots anywhere with any caliber worked.

Two problems were pointed out to me:

1). It takes longer to score the targets than other methods

2). You score better with a single A zone than you do with an A zone coupled with a D zone.

I guess I meant "corrected" time for hits, didn't explain it the best way.

I'm not sure how I feel about an alpha mike being better for you than an alpha delta though, which is one of David's points too if I'm reading his post corectly.

Straight target neutralization is very fast to score but it doesn't reward accuracy which I think is what the whole RNT scoring method is about. I'd almost rather add a second for a missed shot but then the scoring gets even more complicated. In all I think it works pretty well, but I'd like to see a bigger benefit for shooting 308 added.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

I'm not really sure why we used the one A to neutralize deal. We don't use that at OKCGC were the system has been being used for over a year now. It made scoring very confusing for me as an RO for sure.

I guess that is part of the learning curve in a new scoring system coupled with a new carbine match.

I know several competitors werent excited about the stages all being evenly weighted. Some felt the stages should be weighted by the number of targets/rounds required per stage like last years High Plains Shotgun or any IPSC based match. The swinging Texas star stage was a killer for anyone that shot a no shoot using the evenly weighted stages. A sub 15 second run with a no shoot netted about 30 points on average. Were as a sub 15 second run without a no shoot was rewarded with 80 or more points roughly. Take those % and move them to the long range and it's the equivalent of a 60 second run vs. a 135 second run roughly.

Stage 9 was the difference between 1st and 2nd in rimfire magnified. If stage 9, the swing had been weighted to 40 points and stage 11 long range to 80 points based off if the available A's on each stage it would have been very interesting.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Lowest time (stage winner) / your time = your percent. If you shoot a stage in twice as long, you get half as many points.

Not that hard guys. :)
this is what I thought, just wasn't sure

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
We got the scoring figured out; now my other question.........................
Stage 2 was thrown out due to inconsistencies with some of the targets on that stage.

Stage 12 was thrown out before we started shooting so I don't know the reason.
There may have been some issues that came up with the stage when the RO's were shooting.

Chambers

actual GM
I thought I heard Trapr say he was going to combine the two 8 round stages, 8 & 9, but I guess that didn't happen.

Yes, the scoring seems like it "undervalues" the long range stage, but it's always like that unless you use cumulative time scoring...which even more people complain about (like me).

imacgyver

Founding Member
It was a bit harsh - having 7.62x39 lumped into minor but I didn't complain. Being Major would have helped out a bit, but not enough to cause a commotion.

sharpshooter

Active Fanatic
Any chance they are going to make the detail score results, like they were posted at the match, so we can go back over how we did by stage?

Latest posts