2011 High Plains Shooting Challenge, June 25th & 26th

Chambers

actual GM
I'm ready for my close up!

Chambers_Rifle_Header_medium.jpg

imacgyver

Founding Member
And no mention of me and my valor - choosing to compete with the Notorious AK at such a prestigious match!

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
To respond to a few things.

First, all skill tests/stages are worth 100 points BECAUSE they all tested a critical skill in carbine shooting. For instance being able to "neutralize 4 targets" at "cook them with the muzzle blast" ranges is AT LEAST as important as being able to hit a bunch of targets farther away from defalade/enfalade. that is why each and every stages was worth 100 points. All the skill tests are just as weighty as the others.

The scoring program was not exactly as we wanted but due to a last minute glitch in the scoring program, it was as close as we could get. The local match does this scoring for a meer 30 guys over 4 stages, and any glitch can be hand written out. Now try doing it for 10 stages for 120 guys.

Next time it will work as it should with a neutralised target being neutralized, a single A zone hit will get a 1/4 second off your time(it won't be additive). A "neutralised" target won't count D zone hits against you (the bigest part of the scoring glitch), and an unhit target box will be added to the score sheet in the propper amount instead of the confusing "un-hit plus a miss) which both equal 15 seconds (same penalty btw, just a glitch in the score sheet it'sself.)

Now for you guys who like to complain I would like to point out that there were some real good "up-side glitches that worked in your favor...A zones were additive, No-Shoots SHOULD have been 15 seconds against you, and misses were only 5 seconds instead of the 10 seconds it really is. so in the end it was all really kind of a wash.

The Mulligan concept was designed to save people from a bad stage, but it turned into a real nightmare to administrate so that probably won't be happening again

There never was a stage 12.

Stage two was tossed when we found out the cores of the soft bals used on that stage only were of different compositions. ( Jesse don't forgert I have seen you shoot and believe me "Homie CAN miss a lot") :p (NOTE: I am joking with Jesse here and not making a styaement at all).

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Well said Kurt! I knew you and Trapr had a handle on things. I am confident that the two of you ARE the best RM/MD's out there. Like I said in one of these threads there was bound to be some growing pains with a new format in major match form.

I think that the missing was actually related to the fact that Darby's upper is setup for a limey.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Right on Jesse Mi Amigo....why do you think it,s green?? Oh and it only shoot Radway Green ammo well.

Yeah it wasn't perfect, and no match ever is but we are trying and I really do appreciate all the feed back!

BTW Dave I shot left on both of those, and DAMN IT...they fell. Sorry amigo. :D

It was nice to see that all the folks that had taken my rifle class both earlier in the year and the last one did right fine! That is the pay off for standing in the blazing sun with you fine folks! Thanks to all of you!!!

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Kurt, thanks for the thought!

It was a very informative match for me and I learned quite a bit.

Not to mention having a LOT of fun!!

Great job !

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It was nice to see that all the folks that had taken my rifle class both earlier in the year and the last one did right fine! That is the pay off for standing in the blazing sun with you fine folks! Thanks to all of you!!!
No sun for our class, just rain. Don't you guys ever pick a good weekend for that stuff? :D

The class made a big difference, I was just missing my other 2 guns :lol: . Thanks for the class & an awesome match. I don't think I ever come home from a match as pumped & ready to do it again as I did last weekend. When's the next one?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
No sun for our class, just rain. Don't you guys ever pick a good weekend for that stuff? :D

The class made a big difference, I was just missing my other 2 guns :lol: . Thanks for the class & an awesome match. I don't think I ever come home from a match as pumped & ready to do it again as I did last weekend. When's the next one?
Year after next. :lol:

I plan on making that one.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Is it just me, or is there sufficient interest to hold an action rifle match (or rifle/pistol) more often than once every two years?

Who else thinks so?

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Is it just me, or is there sufficient interest to hold an action rifle match (or rifle/pistol) more often than once every two years?

Who else thinks so?

OKCGC holds a 3-gun / rifle / shotgun match almost every month. This match seems to go the 3-gun route more often than not.

USSA holds an action rifle match every month and it is a great match...

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
I think he was inquiring as to a Major-style match just like High Plains.

Is that right, Dave?

I like the USSA & Oil Capital local monthly matches but something bigger like High Plains annually would be great.

ETA: I never gave credit to OKCGC. That was a really nice range with good facilities. The cowgirl pinups in the head were hilarious, too. True to OK there was even sumac all over the berms.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I think he was inquiring as to a Major-style match just like High Plains.

Is that right, Dave?

I like the USSA & Oil Capital local monthly matches but something bigger like High Plains annually would be great.

I gotcha... I'd shoot a major match like this every time it came to town. It's a ton of work and lot's of people involved though.

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
As often as possible works for me!

Its too hard to gauge improvement gained in practice when you don't get to compete.

I know we get to shoot our rifles in the 3gun matches but its just not the same when your competing for your name on top of the list as it is when your competing for prizes.

I think we need to look into some kind of point system where the winners get something at the end of the year of something. Id be happy with a trophy.(not that i would ever get one) but at least there would be something to keep me focused. Braggin rights dont do much for me.

Chambers

actual GM
If you want to shoot major matches, you're gonna have to travel.

Don't forget about the Texas State Tactical 2-Gun and the Texas Carbine Championship.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Yeah, the organizers definitely have more 'want to' than me.

I don't envy them a bit but they definitely did a good job of getting it together and keeping it together.

Latest posts