“Leaked” S&W

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
Speaking of a 1911 as a home defense gun, vs.a 9mm. is the "BANG"! I'm worried about that. A 45 acp. is A LOT louder than a 9mm. IDK.
The way I always heard it is that .45acp is a low pressure subsonic round and 9mm is a high pressure round so .45 is a good choice for indoor self defense and the worst would be .357mag which would blow your ear drums out.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
The way I always heard it is that .45acp is a low pressure subsonic round and 9mm is a high pressure round so .45 is a good choice for indoor self defense and the worst would be .357mag which would blow your ear drums out.
There's alot more that goes into this. A .45 is a good round for self-defense, but many of us prefer long guns if possible for HD. Rifles are loud; pistol builds (an AR with brace and perhaps 10.5 or 11.5" upper) are REALLY loud if not suppressed (perhaps 155 db--a suppressor taking that down to around 129 which is still loud). Shotguns are somewhat LESS loud but still eye opening.

A 9mm Glock 17 or 19 I don't think significantly different in noise than a 1911. A 4" barrel .38 or even .357 might not be THAT bad where a snub +P 9mm or .357 WOULD be quite loud. Or a shorter bbl .45 might be noisier than a longer barreled .357 (depending on load and barrel length).

Bottom line is noise is one consideration but performance is the most significant issue. I wouldn't see much of a difference in a full size 1911 in .45, 9mm, or .38 super depending on which the operator is most comfortable with. Any would be fine as would other platforms.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Speaking of a 1911 as a home defense gun, vs.a 9mm. is the "BANG"! I'm worried about that. A 45 acp. is A LOT louder than a 9mm. IDK.

I've never been concerned about the 45 ACPs bark. No it's the bite of those big fat Boolets that do the real talking. ;)
The bigger the better. :eek:
big boobs pron GIF

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
There's alot more that goes into this. A .45 is a good round for self-defense, but many of us prefer long guns if possible for HD. Rifles are loud; pistol builds (an AR with brace and perhaps 10.5 or 11.5" upper) are REALLY loud if not suppressed (perhaps 155 db--a suppressor taking that down to around 129 which is still loud). Shotguns are somewhat LESS loud but still eye opening.

A 9mm Glock 17 or 19 I don't think significantly different in noise than a 1911. A 4" barrel .38 or even .357 might not be THAT bad where a snub +P 9mm or .357 WOULD be quite loud. Or a shorter bbl .45 might be noisier than a longer barreled .357 (depending on load and barrel length).

Bottom line is noise is one consideration but performance is the most significant issue. I wouldn't see much of a difference in a full size 1911 in .45, 9mm, or .38 super depending on which the operator is most comfortable with. Any would be fine as would other platforms.
Agreed. A 45 is loud, a 357 in my estimation is in the holy s.it category! Any of the above mentioned rounds will work for home defense. Mass Ayoob suggest keeping a pair of shooting muffs near your home defense tool, preferably the ones that are noise canceling, but that you can still hear with. I have a pair on my night stand.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Agreed. A 45 is loud, a 357 in my estimation is in the holy s.it category! Any of the above mentioned rounds will work for home defense. Mass Ayoob suggest keeping a pair of shooting muffs near your home defense tool, preferably the ones that are noise canceling, but that you can still hear with. I have a pair on my night stand.
I can't get up in the middle of the night to pee without forgetting my cane. Adding another item Probly not a good idea lol.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
A range semi locally had one of these S&W in stock for range rental. They say it has a 786# trigger.. o_O

Interesting concept, poor implementation IMHO. I am all about variety, but don't see that Smith following me home.

https://www.facebook.com/ShootRedRiverRange Scroll down a little.
I'd say what the guy at the gun store said pretty much sums it up. I still think It's strange looking.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
I've looked at a bunch of initial reviews. One guy I had to agree with. Close but missed the mark on a few things. Most likely will need a Gen 2 to smack the wonkyness out of it.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Good analogy. I still say that if you're in a real SD/HD situation, you won't even hear your weapon nor feel the recoil. If you're at the point of pulling the trigger on a home invader, adrenaline will take over. My only consideration is stopping power. I have 45acp, 9mm and 5.56 to choose from. I would reach for the 45acp loaded with 230gr HST's first. If there's more than 1, I'm grabbing the AR loaded with 30 55gr Barnes TTSX rounds I hand loaded with 25.2 gr of H335 powder and small rifle magnum primers. The shotgun loaded with 00buck may also be considered, but not likely since it has a 30 inch barrel.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Good analogy. I still say that if you're in a real SD/HD situation, you won't even hear your weapon nor feel the recoil. If you're at the point of pulling the trigger on a home invader, adrenaline will take over. My only consideration is stopping power. I have 45acp, 9mm and 5.56 to choose from. I would reach for the 45acp loaded with 230gr HST's first. If there's more than 1, I'm grabbing the AR loaded with 30 55gr Barnes TTSX rounds I hand loaded with 25.2 gr of H335 powder and small rifle magnum primers. The shotgun loaded with 00buck may also be considered, but not likely since it has a 30 inch barrel.
There are 2 12ga. 870's and a 16 ga Ithaca all with 20 in barrels and a 9 and a 38 all in easy reach upstairs, 2 ar's on main floor and of course my 442 is always with me. WE live in a quiet village, but 9 miles east is Ionia Prison.

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
just saw another advert for the new S&W....looks like they beat CZ/Dan Wesson to the punch regarding the DWX! LOL...

Latest posts