Colt Wiley Capp Commander

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I am in the market for a Wiley Clapp Combat Commander in 45ACP. Anybody in the forum own one and can please share how they like their's? I just wanted some feedback before purchasing one. Since it is a production gun. I was considering a Dan Wesson which is now Colt as well. But I am an old traditionalist and always enjoyed Mr. Clapps articles when I was a young man in the Military. Thank you all in advance.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I am in the market for a Wiley Clapp Combat Commander in 45ACP. Anybody in the forum own one and can please share how they like their's? I just wanted some feedback before purchasing one. Since it is a production gun. I was considering a Dan Wesson which is now Colt as well. But I am an old traditionalist and always enjoyed Mr. Clapps articles when I was a young man in the Military. Thank you all in advance.
I've never owned one, but I have always liked them. I looked at one once, just couldn't afford it then. If I remember they are series 70 I think?

Gman57

New Fanatic
I own several in various forms.... great out of the box and better base gun. Here are couple before/after WC's. These just happen to be Govt. Mod.
i-sMqcKRM-L.jpg

i-HXQ8gB9-L.jpg

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never owned one, but I have always liked them. I looked at one once, just couldn't afford it then. If I remember they are series 70 I think?
Yes they are series 70. Colt factory website shows completely sold out of inventory.

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
I owned a LW Wiley Clapp in .45.

It was a wonderful pistol from the day I acquired it used. I carried for a time.

I recently sold it as my hands just cannot take the pounding of .45 in a LW gun any longer.

I did think so much of them that I am on the lookout for a GM.

Those models are what ALL Colts should be.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

It was a wonderful pistol from the day I acquired it used. I carried for a time.

I recently sold it as my hands just cannot take the pounding of .45 in a LW gun any longer.

Someone got a GREAT l/w carry gun. I love l/w commanders, I currently own two, and I just acquired an old model Springfield full size l/w, and as soon as it warms up some I'll try that out. I'm getting to old to stand in the 15 degree weather and try to hit the target! :_)

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
Really ? That is disappointing . Guess I'll have to hunt for a used one. Are these CCOs series 70 at least?

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
Had a Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander in 45 ACP and loved it. Sold it and still regret it...

Also a Commander lover and only have Commander-size 1911s. Lately though I've been carrying and shooting a Wilson Combat LW 9mm Commander. It's a great combination of a good carry weight (~30 oz. unloaded), flatness, recoil control and capacity (10+1 HSTs go a long way!!).

Maybe consider a LW Commander in 9mm ??

depmur

New Fanatic
I have had several over the years to include a full-size, light weight, CCO and stainless Commander. Of the four I still have the stainless Commander and dont see it going anywhere. I would love to get one of the light weight 9MM Commanders. Of the four I own or have owned the lightweight Commander is the only one that stayed stock. Heres a picture of the full-size which I foolishly sold a couple years back and the stainless Commander which I dont plan on selling.

20357d8bbd701c0220cd0b6148428202.jpg
IMG_2600.jpeg

Max

Fanatic
Don't believe there is a "Combat Commander" in the Wiley Clapp series. I 'had' all five and recently sold the LW Cdr. Still have the Government 5", Stainless steel .45 Commander, the 9mm Commander and the CCO. Barely shoot them except the CCO that I shoot often along with my DW PMC in .45. Wish Colt had added a .38 Superb. I think DW stopped making their PMC series, haven't seen a .38 super in months. Oh well. If anyone is serious about the Wiley Clapp guns contact me.

Max

Fanatic

Got a WC Government model. I barely shoot it. Mainly I'm on 1911 addicts and Colt Forum. Message/PM me and I'll send photos if you are interested. Have the original case.

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
I have a Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander. Like it a lot, only thing it really needs is a trigger job, It is shootable as is, I haven't done the trigger job, left it alone. I would like a gold bead instead of brass. Good pistol.

Smsx

New Fanatic
45 Ralph, I'm not sure this is still relevant, but if you are still looking for one, I have Wiley Clapp Commander in 45ACP. Like new, with box papers etc.
If interested I'll be happy to send pics.