What did you carry today?

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
It seems to be about evenly divided between 1911 style guns and striker fired. For years I carried a 4" Wilson Ultralight and a year ago switched to my Glock Gen 5 19. The reason being that I had done two combat courses with the Glock and after a few thousand rounds no misfires or failure to feed, and only had to get a solid grip, draw the pistol and fire on target. Recently started carrying my Wilson EDC x9 and found a couple of holsters (AIWB and OWB) that fit perfectly, depending on what I was wearing. Here's where I would like some feedback from those that do carry most of the time. Under stress, you simply draw the Glock and pull the trigger. One of the reasons we used the 17 teaching firearms at the Police Academy. With a typical 1911 two variables; proper grip for the grip safety and engaging the thumb safety. Then a perfectly smooth 3 1/2 to 4 lb trigger pull. My EDC x9 has the smooth trigger for the first shot, but the variable is the thumb safety. I like it vs the standard 1911 because no grip safety. So for those carrying a 1911, would you bet a thousand dollars that you could draw from concealed position and shoot as rapidly as you could fire accurately, and never fumble with the thumb safety or due to less than perfect grip on the grip safety fail to rapidly get the shot off, for a hundred straight rounds ? Guaranteed, with the Glock, you would, even with a less than ideal grip. And we know that getting a perfect grip with the 1911 is not always guaranteed because in the early days, of what is now IDPA, everyone taped the grip safety off. And these were some of he best in the world. I had a metal band that I attached after taking the grips off and fitting it under them. Later became illegal. In closing, I'll still keep carrying my Wilson because I like the smooth trigger pull for every shot, and hope I practice enough that the thumb safety will never be a problem.

Last edited:

colrhino

New Fanatic
2a938c86e5ebcf75154d1399bb590f4a.jpg

Baer .45 Longslide

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just wiped my Glock 32 down from a hot day of sweating it is resting while I mow!

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I had a Walther day today. Took my pps 9mm. And my ppk 380.Haven't shot my ppk for quite a while, forgot how much that little pistol kicks.Going to be awhile before we go back out.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
With all the talk from friend here on his Glock 26 I carried mine a few days oh well back to my old Glock 32 357 SIG again as always, never failed me 1 time.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
am i supposed to believe that on a 1911 forum, the results between SAO and stryker fired pistols are "divided evenly"? C'Mon, really?
And you've carried a Wilson ultralight for years and still haven't practiced flicking the safety off while drawing your weapon, enough to be comfortable with it? and if you couldn't do it comfortably or confidently, why did you continue to carry it for years? with practice, it becomes 2nd. nature and becomes just part of the draw.
the grip safety has never been an issue, i grab the gun and it works, whats so hard about that? the guns you taped up over the grip safety must have not been very good
My 1911 has never failed either, and the best part is, it's not a glock. and why am i reading a post about a glock on a 1911 forum, and in the "1911 Carry" section no less? (hmmm...let's see, 1911 forum... in the "1911 carry" sub section, I think I'll start a post on why i carry a glock, that will be good )
and last but not least, on a 1911, the thumb safety is optional, nobody makes you use it :)
All kidding aside, I'm glad you have recognized your limitations, and no longer carrying a gun you are not comfortable or confident with.
and if you want to trade that wilson for a glock, let me know! I'll buy my 1st glock, just so I can trade with you :) I already have a .45, so a 9mm 1911 might be fun to shoot too.

Latest posts