What 1911 brands to avoid?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
What ? you bought a Tisas that isn't perfect ? ...... I'm amazed. ( insert a sarcasm emoj here )
It seems everything I've read online about Tisas 1911's is they're flawless. Great guns w/o any problems.
Nice to know they can have issues too, sorry you're the one that has a "flawed" one.. but thanks for sharing your experience.

milkmanjoe

Fanatic
Little late to the party here.
Really depends on what I want to do with the 1911. I'll buy any low end and upgrade it myself.
The best bang for the buck was always the Springfield Loaded. Generic, straight shooting pistol, easy to upgrade. Great price point.
Hell, I have a white pot metal Llama in 9 mm Largo with a six inch barrel from 1932 that runs like a champ.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
What ? you bought a Tisas that isn't perfect ? ...... I'm amazed. ( insert a sarcasm emoj here )
Yes it's true. I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to the Pistols made in turkey. My Girsan hunter was a complete POS. My Yukon was not near that bad. Still have some slight issues with it that I hope to work out.

Some people say that I shouldn't complain given their price. Well, I ain't rich and I expect to get a good value for my money. That pistol cost me $650 out the door which is a lot of money in my opinion.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." That pistol cost me $650 out the door which is a lot of money in my opinion."
I get your point, and agree. Though many here seem to think $3K or more is a reasonable price for a 1911, I'ts beyond what I'm willing to spend for a pistol.
It's not a ? of if I can afford it, but whether I think it's worth the $..which I don't. :eek:

I find the fit, finish, & function / accuracy of the 1911's I own more than satisfactory..many will shoot more accurately than I can shoot them.
I can accept that things cost more than they used to..( the decreasing value of our dollar not withstanding) but I find I still expect quality in the items I buy.

Still driving my '98 F-150 I bought new, ( just turned over 80K miles) in very nice shape, but the body is starting to rust. :(
I can afford any new truck, but when I started looking at them, felt disgusted @ the prices, & lack of ability to buy what I want.
Try and find a truck with a manual transmission, or one that isn't a crew cab,. Try getting a new truck that isn't loaded with features you really don't need or want. can't even order a specific motor I wanted, unless it was in a 4 wheel drive model. :mad:I'm rambling & ranting..better stop.
By now everyone knows I'm a cranky, COB..:)

I'm normally a big fan of Sigs, but I absolutely hate my Sig 1911…it may just be a problem with this gun's firing pin plunger lever, but it does not lay flush and is a ***** to get it back on without scratching up the cerakote. And it seems like the breaking in period with this particular gun is just brutal since 1911s are such tight guns... got tired of it really quick. Loved the look of it and the accuracy, but I prefer Colts for 1911s.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm new here so don't crucify me please. I see hundreds of reply's saying stay away from Kimber! Can someone please elaborate. Specific problems with them would be appreciated. I own 5 Kimbers and I have only had 1 problem and it was a little trigger roughness in a Micro 9 . I sent it back and got it back a couple of days later. Smooth as silk. The 3 1911's have never had any problem and the fit and finish on all of them is great. I am looking at a couple more and I just wanted to see what problems you gentlemen have had with them. Thanks
My Kimber works great... get one....

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
Tisas is decent. I had trouble with my YUKON, but after insisting that SDS look at it, they pretty much fixed it. They ended up replacing the entire slide/barrel.
I wish that they had adjusted the sights that were terribly off. I had to buy a sight pusher and it's now pretty close.
I do have marks on the slide finish from the case impacts after 100 rnds.
marks on slide, ok... not a diva.... just tisas ... all you need if it works...

dennishoddy

Not real impressed with the Taurus. Never owned one. I did handle and shoot a friend's. Didn't like it, and it spent most of it's life going back and forth for warranty repair.
Did I hear correctly that Taurus now has a plant in Georgia? I was working in the shop today with some gun program going on in the background on the TV when I heard something like that?

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
marks on slide, ok... not a diva.... just tisas ... all you need if it works...
Meh...
It feels like it's a starting point, and that I have to finish it.
I'm convinced that the slide spring is pretty soft and should be replaced with something stiffer.
I've a DW VBOB 10mm and have compared the 2 springs. The DW is much stiffer and shorter. I'm going swap them and see how the Yukon reacts.

Did I hear correctly that Taurus now has a plant in Georgia? I was working in the shop today with some gun program going on in the background on the TV when I heard something like that?
I bought a new Taurus G3 and a new Taurus TH9 a few years back and both came from Bainbridge, Georgia. I've shot both of them a good bit and both are super reliable and accurate. Neither one has had any type of malfunction with any kind of ammo I've fed them. Reliability and accuracy are the two most important things I'm concerned about in a firearm.

cjsolar1

Fanatic
Kimber is well know as one to avoid. I have had spotty success with DWs as well. If you do get a DW, shoot the snot out of it as they only have a one year warranty to find out if it has issues. Also don't use Hoppes #9 on their "Duty Coating" as it will wreck it. I have had a lot of problems with Colt, too but now mine runs great--just not with HPs.

Honestly? I think it is a crap shoot on whether you will have issues or not. Ruger, Smith & Sig seem to have a consistently good reputation as far as 1911s go.

I love 1911s but don't carry them for personal protection anymore. YMMV
I don't know what problems you have had with Kimber but I owned a Kimber TLE II and had no problems with it. It was very accurate and reliable. It shot very well.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
Meh...
It feels like it's a starting point, and that I have to finish it.
I'm convinced that the slide spring is pretty soft and should be replaced with something stiffer.
I've a DW VBOB 10mm and have compared the 2 springs. The DW is much stiffer and shorter. I'm going swap them and see how the Yukon reacts.
get wolff spring, still a gun made in Turkey

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
get wolff spring, still a gun made in Turkey
Why so much dislike? The rest of the world hates our country. Why do you dislike Turkey? I despise China, but a huge percentage of things I buy seem to be made there. Just courious. For the record I have Colt, Springfield, and Tisas 1911's. I also had a Randal Commander years ago. I was not impressed I must say. Isn't Colt owned by CZ now? The opinions stated are entirely my own.

Latest posts