This one or that one - another Colt vs Kimber thread

TRex29

Fanatic
Evening, I'm looking for a commander sized pistola. Stainless steel, because I don't have one and I want one. Under $1k. I can get a Colt combat commander or a Kimber TLE Pro within my budget. Which one and why...go.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Of the two, current production? I'd probably go Kimber because they're more consistent than the Colts I've seen recently. Although the Colt will hold its value a little better.
I've got a Colt and a Kimber both only 2-3 yrs old and the Kimber is fitted better and shoots better than the Colt. Both of these are no frills full size 1911s in 45acp.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I actually own both , a Kimber Pro TLE and Colt Combat Commander . The Kimber has been 100 % reliable and extremely accurate with better sights than the Colt . Colt's also been reliable , but the Kimber past 15 yds shoots tighter groups . Kimber is a bull barrel , Colt bushing . This Kimber trigger also feels better . Colt will hold it's value a little better . I bought both guns pre owned so really won't drop that much . Both are good choices IMO . Keep an eye on the used market , never know what pops up .

TRex29

Fanatic
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I should have been more specific; I want a steel framed commander so that dq's the Vigil, and even used, the Valor is just too far out of my budget.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Have an old Colt commander and a Kimber pro carry 2.The Kimber is a lot lighter and easier to carry and shoot..Really enjoy my Kimber.

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
I would go with a DW Vigil commander... or a A2 commander or used Valor why because they are a lot better then both mentioned for not much more money.

Interesting to always see your DW responses. Exactly what makes the DW a better product? Is it because parts that it is built with come from different places other than the US, are their forged parts superior, just curious to what makes them a "lot" better? Personally find DW to be average with the rest of the production pistols in fit and finish and know they source from the global supply chain.

There was a post above about the pistol being tighter. Well Colt builds them that way on purpose (slides) now other parts yes would not be a positive trail. Funny how some will assume a tight slide gun will shoot better than a looser one which we all know what happens when you assume. :)

Last edited:

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
Fitting the quality of the parts used are of better quality period.. If you like loose guns that you.. Me I will take the gun that IMO is build correctly. Colt builds them that way so they require zero fitting it is a cost savings. When Brett was running the Custom shop he requested oversized frames for the Custom shop builds and was rejected because of cost.. Say what you want believe what you want.. Colt makes a not so great gun overall great base but thats as far as it goes.. You may think that 1/8 gap in your cast GS is equal in quality or a mushy thumb safety is except-able and just as good to me it is not and 95% of Colts will come this way.. Cosmetic issues like the slide overhanging the frame another 95% of Colts issue.. Like I said they make a great base gun thats as far as it goes if you think they are equal IMO you are Wrong end of story.. If you can come up with a reason a Colt is superior Im all ears cause there is nothing on their production line guns that is superior in any way to what DW puts out for the small amount more money..

Last edited:

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
Fitting the quality of the parts used are of better quality period.. If you like loose guns that you.. Me I will take the gun that IMO is build correctly. Colt builds them that way so they require zero fitting it is a cost savings. When Brett was running the Custom shop he requested oversized frames for the Custom shop builds and was rejected because of cost.. Say what you want believe what you want.. Colt makes a not so great gun overall great base but thats as far as it goes.. You may think that 1/8 gap in your cast GS is equal in quality or a mushy thumb safety is except-able and just as good to me it is not and 95% of Colts will come this way.. Cosmetic issues like the slide overhanging the frame another 95% of Colts issue.. Like I said they make a great base gun thats as far as it goes if you think they are equal IMO you are Wrong end of story.. If you can come up with a reason a Colt is superior Im all ears cause there is nothing on their production line guns that is superior in any way to what DW puts out for the small amount more money..

Ok understand your position and if you think that a Dan Wesson is built correctly then that is fine. Was looking at a few of my Colts and got one of my Starrett's and it seems that your "You may think that 1/8 gap in your cast GS is equal in quality or a mushy thumb safety is except-able and just as good to me it is not and 95% of Colts will come this way.." is not accurate. It is also a preference for me to have US made parts in my pistols especially the slide and Frame. On my Colt's the thumb safety is not mushy but I have felt one on a friends gun so I know that that does happen now how frequent I believe your percentages are overstated especially with out any empirical data to back it up.

On the loose gun issue---let's just say that people that are overly concerned about having a "tight" slide to frame fit. I shoot mostly customs and the semi customs and when I build a pistol one of my basic criteria is the slide not be too tight that would impair functionality in any way. Leave that to the folks that are not completely up to speed shall we say in what makes a 1911 accurate.

Thanks for the reply now I understand what your thought process is.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
These very issues combined with Colt's lack of customer service many years ago spurred me on to try other brands and builders . I thank them for that .

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I never thought I'd recommend a Kimber. But I've not been impressed with anything Colt in a long time.

As far as the superior quality of DW, I've owned all 3. It's closer to Ed Brown quality than Colt or Kimber. Of course the only empirical data I have is I've owned and shot all four brands. I've never needed metrics to know what gun I liked better.

My opinion is only worth what you're paid for it. But, if you're stuck between Colt and Kimber, it shouldn't be too hard to find a rental of each and see how they feel to you.

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
TRex29:

My 2 cents say that both manufacturers turn out individual weapons that range from excellent to "Don't Buy". I recommend you examine each individual candidate for purchase, as thoroughly as the seller will allow, before purchasing. If possible, shoot it, first. Or, as Badabing11 recommended, shoot representative samples. But know that the representative samples may exhibit different qualities than another of identical make and model. Rentals, in particular, have often been shot a lot and are thus "broken in", or in worst cases, abused. This can cause them to handle or feel or shoot differently than a NIB gun.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
TRex29:

My 2 cents say that both manufacturers turn out individual weapons that range from excellent to "Don't Buy". I recommend you examine each individual candidate for purchase, as thoroughly as the seller will allow, before purchasing. If possible, shoot it, first. Or, as Badabing11 recommended, shoot representative samples. But know that the representative samples may exhibit different qualities than another of identical make and model. Rentals, in particular, have often been shot a lot and are thus "broken in", or in worst cases, abused. This can cause them to handle or feel or shoot differently than a NIB gun.
^^^^^ this... great response BILL O'R .

Geno58

Fanatic
I own four Colt pistols two 38 Super's and two 45's all shoot very well, seems that Colt has always built their pistols with sum what loose tolerances , but I love Colt 1911's guess I'm just a fan boy.
On the other hand I also own three Dan Wesson's -Valor V-Bob Stainless Commander 45, Valor Stainless 10mm and a Valkyrie Commander 9 mm .
For the money you can't beat Dan Wesson fit, finish , quality, accuracy I'm looking to add an A2 model to my collection real soon. For what you get with a Dan Wesson, they should be selling in a higher price range.

I agree. I have one reasonably new Colt in .38 Super and I enjoy it, largely for the caliber. But, the build quality just doesn't approach the quality of my Dan Wessons. I bought a good CBOB as my first DW and many rounds later it is still tight and completely reliable. I've added a few since then and I'm keeping them all. I'm not anti-MIM, but Colt uses it extensively. DW uses better components and still does some hand fitting. That's just a memory for Colt.