Sniper Scopes

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
The hell they can't....you just need to find a better eye doctor - I hear those doctors in Mexico can put one on your eye...

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
For not a lot of $$$, I went with the Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5-16X42. I got it of ebay for $634 delivered. For that I got a quality scope with a good warranty, a mil-dot reticle, target turrets, 30mm tube with side focus, a generous 3.9" eye relief and it only tips the scales at 17.3oz. Having the magnification range it has is a pretty nice option too. This will be my 4th Elite scope to date. It's pretty hard to beat for the money. I'll be putting it on an 18" AR for long range work & multi-gun matches. Check it out:

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/elite6500/652164T/

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll throw out the Millet TRS-1 and the falcon optics line since I own both.

The problem with a second focal plane scope that doesn't go all the way to 20x is that if the reticle is accurate at 10x, then all magnifications above that are difficult for measuring or range-finding. At that point its worth getting one that goes all the way to 20x (and halfing the value of your reticle) or just investing in a ffp. The Vortex would be the best option for the money at that point.

I hate shooting at distances above 400yds with only 10x but I really like to spot from my own scope (to some degree).

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
For not a lot of $$$, I went with the Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5-16X42. I got it of ebay for $634 delivered. For that I got a quality scope with a good warranty, a mil-dot reticle, target turrets, 30mm tube with side focus, a generous 3.9" eye relief and it only tips the scales at 17.3oz. Having the magnification range it has is a pretty nice option too. This will be my 4th Elite scope to date. It's pretty hard to beat for the money. I'll be putting it on an 18" AR for long range work & multi-gun matches. Check it out:

I am going to check into one of these. I could run the 2.5 on a lot of close in targets too.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic

+1 on the Elite series.
I don't have any tacticals but I have 2 of them on hunting rifles. They just are great all around values. You get great glass and the same features as the big names for a lot less money.

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
The US Army issued a 3-9x on my M21 Sniper Rifle back in the day. It worked okay and I made first round hits out to 1200 meters. The 2.5 - 16x is a great option and you will discover that most of the time it will be one the lowest settings . . .

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
If your just starting out on long range shooting, I recomend this to see if your really interested http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx
good glass for the money. It's what I had before I got my Nightforce. The Vortex line is also good I have a Viper 6.5-20x44 on my 22-250Ackley

jtischauser

Jesse I would look at anything from a 2-10 to a 5-22. I am a big Nightforce and Vortex fan. 10x will give you hits at 1000 depending on the reticle and whether its first focal plane or not. First focal plan makes the reticle get bigger so you loose some precision. If you want to try a couple out I can have them up here next time you come by.

Im sold on the Nightforce that You have on my CTR-02. I will be building a long range AR15 and a AR10 next year and I will be adding something similar with that same reticle.
I added my el cheapo throw lever and it works great. I am ordering a few more for you too.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
This thread hasn't been commented on in a few weeks but I thought I'd chime in.

At the present time, I have a Hawke 3-12x50mm SR6 reticle. It's not my scope of choice but it was mounted on the POF P-308 rifle I purchased back in October. I've really been eyeballing the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm but I'm having a difficult time dropping that kind of cash on optics when I just spent $2600 on the setup. I had the opportunity to handle one of the NXS scopes at Wanenmacher's and without a doubt, it's the one I want. I guess I need to find some way to make extra cash, something to sell, or find some way of justifying such a large purchase. Ha!

BobWill

I Can't Feel My Legs
Personally I wouldn’t go to high on the magnification, you don’t need to see the buttons on the shirt just the crosshairs on the steel. Also the old adage buy all the quality that you can afford. I know not much help, but sometimes back to basics is the way to go. also rember field of view..ya need to see the next target quickly. Just my uneducated ideas

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
I put an SWFA SS 10x42 on my new Remington 700 SS-5r Milspec. Have not had a chance to work with it much, but after a quick bore sight, four rounds at 25 yards to zero and moved to 100 yards and shot a 3 round .61 inch group. The glass is much better than the price would indicate. Should be plenty good for most of my needs and the ocassional trip to the 1000 yard range.

I really like the Nightforce but it is too steep for this small-town cop.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
I just placed an offer of $1500 on a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm NP-R1 so I'm hoping the seller accepts the offer. The Buy It Now price is $1632 so I'm not too far off from what he wants. I'll post back and let you guys know if he accepted the offer.

If he accepts my offer, the only thing left to purchase will be a good suppressor and then I'll have the rifle all decked out and ready for the apocalypse. LoL

*EDIT*

He didn't accept the offer but declined, with a message and phone number saying "call me - this is a good offer". Well, it mustn't have been good enough because he declined! Ha!

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I love my Nightforce!! Give Jay at sportoptics.com a call 1-800-720-9625. Great guy to deal with and fast shipping. Ask him what kind of deal he can get ya. I sold 3 guns and some other random stuff to get mine. I got the same scope you mentioned but with Zero Stop and High Speed Turrets. Only downside to a Nightforce is that once you get one you want one on all your rifles. And yes, I'm already saving for my next one.

DSCF0042.jpg

jtischauser

I need a reason to (rifle) so that I can get a nightforce. That 2.5x10 that Aryan let my use was nice. We need to develop a precision action rifle match at USSA or OKCGC. I'd love to shoot some tiny targets on the clock at 600 or less with my AR. Plus it would give me a reason to buy an AR10:)

jtischauser

I love my Nightforce!! Give Jay at sportoptics.com a call 1-800-720-9625. Great guy to deal with and fast shipping. Ask him what kind of deal he can get ya. I sold 3 guns and some other random stuff to get mine. I got the same scope you mentioned but with Zero Stop and High Speed Turrets. Only downside to a Nightforce is that once you get one you want one on all your rifles. And yes, I'm already saving for my next one.

DSCF0042.jpg

Can you give us the specs on that rifle? I dint know dik about bolt guns but I'd like to learn a Little.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Started off as a Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308

Bell and Carlson A2... I remolded the forearm
CDI DBM w/5&10 round magazines
R&D Rad Rapid Brake
Harris bipod w/ Podloc
AZ Precision bolt knob conversion w/ Ceracoat
Seekins 20 moa base
Seekins High rings
Nighforce 5.5-22x50
Duracoat paint.