Sniper Scopes

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Best so far was 5 shots @ .6 MOA with handloads from an older rifle I had. Heading out to my range to do some more load development tomorrow. Loaded up 8 different batches this afternoon. Hope to find one that will get me under 1/2 moa

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Man, it really sucks that none of you guys are near Tulsa. :( I'd frequent the range more often if I wasn't going alone.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot alone about 98% of the time. I've got my own range just 9 miles from my house. Hopefully this time next year I'll have my house built and then I can take the 1/4 mile Rhino drive to it.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I took the plunge last night and purchased a 2 month old NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50mm NP-R2 ZS from a guy on Sniper's Hide for $1600. As soon as it arrives, I'll post the images within this thread. I can hardly wait!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I shoot alone about 98% of the time. I've got my own range just 9 miles from my house. Hopefully this time next year I'll have my house built and then I can take the 1/4 mile Rhino drive to it.

How far from Guthrie is that range? I might join you sometime.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
About 35 miles. I used to have a range between Guthrie and Edmond by the lazy e. But we sold it about 4 or 5 years ago and now it's a housing development.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, here it is. I'll have it mounted on my rifle today.

NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50mm ZS NP-R2

nxss.jpg

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice! You'll love it. What mount are you running? My new Atlas bipod will be here today, but I'm 210 miles away for work. So it will be late Friday night before I see it.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice! You'll love it. What mount are you running? My new Atlas bipod will be here today, but I'm 210 miles away for work. So it will be late Friday night before I see it.

It's mounted in the American Defense AD-Recon quick release. I don't have the setup/equipment to level it properly such as a vise and I've been unable to get it leveled so I guess I need to take in somewhere and have them do it.

Basically, what I've done is; prop it up on the bipod/monopod, made sure the rail was level, mounted the scope, set the level on the top turrent and adjusted the scope until the bubble was dead-center. However, it still looks a little off when I'm looking through it. However, it could be perfectly level. Maybe someone else needs to take a look through it because it might be centered/leveled but I dunno.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say your reticle is the NP-R1? I want to have the reticle changed to the NP-R1 or the MLR but I can't decide which reticle to go with. What are your thoughts?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
It's mounted in the American Defense AD-Recon quick release. I don't have the setup/equipment to level it properly such as a vise and I've been unable to get it leveled so I guess I need to take in somewhere and have them do it.

Basically, what I've done is; prop it up on the bipod/monopod, made sure the rail was level, mounted the scope, set the level on the top turrent and adjusted the scope until the bubble was dead-center. However, it still looks a little off when I'm looking through it. However, it could be perfectly level. Maybe someone else needs to take a look through it because it might be centered/leveled but I dunno.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you say your reticle is the NP-R1? I want to have the reticle changed to the NP-R1 or the MLR but I can't decide which reticle to go with. What are your thoughts?

I level mine by the same means you did here and depending on my cheek weld somedays they look crooked some days they look perfect. heck ive seen someguys mount them a littel off to match their crooked cheeck weld or jacked up face bones.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
I level mine by the same means you did here and depending on my cheek weld, somedays they look crooked and some days they look perfect. Heck I've seen some guys mount them a little off to match their crooked cheak weld or jacked up face bones.

Hmm, I've been wondering if maybe I had my head tilted more or less than needed and if that was the reason the crosshair looked odd. Additionally, the NXS reticle is very much different than what I had mounted and that could be another reason why it looks strange.

This is what my Hawke reticle looked like, followed by what I have now - the NP-R2.

SR6Red.gif

opplanet-nightforce-3-5-15x50-nxs-illuminated-riflescope-nxs3515-reticle-np-r2.jpg

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Use feeler gauges in between the flat part of the tube(where your elevation and windage adjustments are made) and your base. Works everytime and very easy. Your reticle will be set level with the adjustment housing. I've heard people use playing cards to do the same.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Use feeler gauges in between the flat part of the tube(where your elevation and windage adjustments are made) and your base. Works everytime and very easy. Your reticle will be set level with the adjustment housing. I've heard people use playing cards to do the same.

I don't have any feeler gauges but I do have a deck of cards at the house. That's a pretty good idea. Thanks!

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Pyplynr, thanks for the tip! After I arrived at the house, I propped up my rifle and was able to level the scope using a deck of cards. Man, I can hardly wait to take this baby to the range!

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
I level mine by the same means you did here and depending on my cheek weld somedays they look crooked some days they look perfect. heck ive seen someguys mount them a littel off to match their crooked cheeck weld or jacked up face bones.

For short game thats not a deal breaker. For long range it will not work. The rifle has cant built into it. If the rifle is canted at 1 o'clock then the bullet will travel the same path. Also if your were to dial the scope follows its own path. If its not level with the rifle than that .25 click up is really .25 up and .09 right. You will notice your off at longer ranges. The rifle and scope must be leveled perfect. Thats why the LR guys have a bubble level mounted to the rear of their gun. That way when they shoot the gun is level and the bullet arches at a consistent angle.

The NP-R1 is the better reticle over the NP-R2 for bolt gun work. If your clicks are MOA then stay with a MOA reticle. If they are MIL then go with a MIL. No reason to make things super difficult. I like the MLR and will have one in the 3.5-15 F1 Nightforce I get for my LMT MWS. Thats another thing to think of. If your scope is first focal then your leads are the same regardless of power as is your hold overs and wind corrections. With a second focal you really have to pay attention to what power your on.

Yeah the NF's are sweet scopes.
9562638c.jpg

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
Man, it really sucks that none of you guys are near Tulsa. :( I'd frequent the range more often if I wasn't going alone.

Our longrange training group is Sundays at 1 pm. Come on out and shoot, I teach that class. The first session is on me.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Our longrange training group is Sundays at 1 pm. Come on out and shoot, I teach that class. The first session is on me.

Steve, what all does your long-range class cover? I'm mainly a prone shooter. I would like to get better at the different shooting positions. I need to work on my breathing and of course the wind call eats me alive.

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
Steve, what all does your long-range class cover? I'm mainly a prone shooter. I would like to get better at the different shooting positions. I need to work on my breathing and of course the wind call eats me alive.
We go over a specific skill set each time. Think of it as 90min on the range but you have a coach there with you giving pointers ect. Its part of our training group so these are 90 min classes. Downside to USSA is the wind isnt a huge factor because of the massive berms. It still effects your bullet but with only 300 meters to shoot we do a lot of dot drill, positional, prone, elevated heart rate, know your limits, and holdover/under's. Im building some targets to put out there for milling exercises. Make the most of what we have. I would love to have a place like Bobbys out at Badlands to train on. Maybe one day we can combine my students with his to get some good long range time in. I do what I can to make it tough though where we are. We do have an awesome moving target system that we can shoot to 100 on.

Yeah I wasnt trying to be a dick but was trying to make sure you knew how serious I was about them. I will not let anyone waste their money on that crap. There are good options out there for that same price range though.

thanks for the input Steve;
Jeff's a big boy, he can handle it. :)

that kind of no-BS, beating around the bush intel is what the internet needs.

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
thanks for the input Steve;
Jeff's a big boy, he can handle it. :)

that kind of no-BS, beating around the bush intel is what the internet needs.
Haha. A buddy of mine wasted over $500 on a counter sniper. Made me sick because it was at a gun show and he couldnt remember where he bought it. The reticle looked as if it was hand painted on.
Another good option is the Super Sniper 3-9x40 First focal plane. I have heard some amazing reviews. People are comparing it to NF in quality of glass which is huge for the folks over at Super Sniper.

Latest posts