Sniper Scopes

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
What do you guys use? I am thinking my 4x Accupoint is too low for Sniper work past about 200. I can play 3 gun with it just fine but I want to cross the T's and dot the I's with my yet to be bought sniper rifle.

How much maginifcation do I need to make accurate head shots at 500 and reliable body shots at 1000?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Im not an expert in this area but I did have a 6.5-20 leupold vx3 on my browning .223 wssm. I could make hits at 200 very easily. Shot a doe at 423 yards. Aimed at her head and hit her in the vitals. Lucky shot but it worked.

I'd say that would be a pretty good scope. I want a long range .308 and have been looking at the big power accupoint. I think it's 5-20 or something.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
[quote author=Wormydog1724 link=topic=62.msg453#msg453 date=1284862167]
I'm not an expert in this area but I did have a 6.5-20 Leupold vx3 on my browning .223 wssm. I could make hits at 200 very easily. Shot a doe at 423 yards. Aimed at her head and hit her in the vitals. Lucky shot but it worked.

I'd say that would be a pretty good scope. I want a long range .308 and have been looking at the big power accupoint. I think it's 5-20 or something.
[/quote]

I need a good 308 as well. I need to get into research mode to find out if an AR10 could work or if I am going to need a high $ bolt gun. I would really like to shoot HM 3 gun with the AR10 but I would like to cross train with some Sniper match's too. I am sure there is no good tweener there and I will need one of each as usual.

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
this is my idea of the best in between rifle

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=14

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
My brother has the armalite ar10. It's a heavy sob.

Jesse, you need to look at LaRue's OBR. or the SR25.

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry we were talking scopes. Alot of people like a fixed 9 power. Not sure why I haven't got into long range yet but that is Just what I read. I also want to get a good .308 Maybe thats what we need to get a group buy going on.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
M1A's can be accurate, they require a lot of bedding work and you have to take real good care of the bedding job or it will deteriorate over time. A quality scope mount will be big$ and will put the scope up very high (no the springfield mount is not quality).

They are at their best when used with irons at normal 3 gun ranges with normal 3 gun sized targets, and they perform very well here indeed.

The loaded model I had would hold at best a 100 yard playing card size group no matter what ammo I fed it (including FGMM). My Savage bolt gun for almost 1/2 the price will do 3/4 inch 10 shot groups with 155gr Lapua scenars over a lot of Varget.

Long winded post shortened, if I were looking for a 308 autoloader I would go after an AR type rifle and not look back (if only to reduce the aggravation of mounting an optic).

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Forgot to add that with a 14X top end scope that thing weighed over 15 pounds, throw in a mag with 20 rounds of 308 and yeachhh, have fun with offhand shots. The sniper role just isn't the M1A's thing. Others may disagree.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
I use a Millett TRS-2 on my .308.
I've checked out a couple of these, and I really like them, so it'll probably be an upgrade at some point;
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/catalog.html&setup=##AGENTID#&cart_id=

The "contract overruns" are the way to go, of course. Some are a little pricey, but the two I've played with (1/12-30 and 5/25-42) were rock solid and carry a 10 year warranty.

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
[quote author=jeffsoward link=topic=62.msg670#msg670 date=1285004256]
I've checked out a couple of these, and I really like them, so it'll probably be an upgrade at some point;
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/catalog.html&setup=##AGENTID#&cart_id=

The "contract overruns" are the way to go, of course. Some are a little pricey, but the two I've played with (1/12-30 and 5/25-42) were rock solid and carry a 10 year warranty.
[/quote]

I dont know if your serious or not. Counter Sniper scopes are ****. This is not a debatable opinion. Contract overrun my ass. I have first hand experience with them and they suck. Go to snipershide.com and search Counter Sniper. See what happens. I would go with a Vortex 1000 times before Counter Sniper.

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
Jesse I would look at anything from a 2-10 to a 5-22. I am a big Nightforce and Vortex fan. 10x will give you hits at 1000 depending on the reticle and whether its first focal plane or not. First focal plan makes the reticle get bigger so you loose some precision. If you want to try a couple out I can have them up here next time you come by.

jeffsoward

Founding Member
Wow. I hadn't done any investigation into them, I'd only messed with a couple that acquaintances have and they seemed genuinely good. As good as my Millett, anyway.

Thanks for the, albeit harsh, reality check.

[quote author=Steve Aryan link=topic=62.msg749#msg749 date=1285092821]

[/quote]

I dont know if your serious or not. Counter Sniper scopes are ****. This is not a debatable opinion. Contract overrun my ass. I have first hand experience with them and they suck. Go to snipershide.com and search Counter Sniper. See what happens. I would go with a Vortex 1000 times before Counter Sniper.
[/quote]

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
[quote author=jeffsoward link=topic=62.msg757#msg757 date=1285101844]
Wow. I hadn't done any investigation into them, I'd only messed with a couple that acquaintances have and they seemed genuinely good. As good as my Millett, anyway.

Thanks for the, albeit harsh, reality check.

[quote author=Steve Aryan link=topic=62.msg749#msg749 date=1285092821]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Yeah I wasnt trying to be a dick but was trying to make sure you knew how serious I was about them. I will not let anyone waste their money on that crap. There are good options out there for that same price range though.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
[quote author=Steve Aryan link=topic=62.msg773#msg773 date=1285107182]

Yeah I wasnt trying to be a dick but was trying to make sure you knew how serious I was about them. I will not let anyone waste their money on that crap. There are good options out there for that same price range though.
[/quote]

Well what are the "good option" do tell do tell...

Steve Aryan

Active Fanatic
[quote author=B.S. DuBois link=topic=62.msg774#msg774 date=1285107336]
[quote author=Steve Aryan link=topic=62.msg773#msg773 date=1285107182]

[/quote]

Well what are the "good option" do tell do tell...
[/quote]
Start with the vortex PST line.

Latest posts