Rock Island 1911's

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
would be more accurate to say the STI Spartan frame, slide ( & maybe even barrel ) was made by Armscor to STI specs...
if you compare a RIA slide to an STI Spartan slide, you'll notice the differences.
I have a STI Spartan in 45 and a couple of RIA's..there are differences.
Too bad STI stopped making their entry level single stack 1911's..they were bargains , for their price.

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
That STI Spartan is based on the same exact frame and slide as the RIA. Both made by Armscor.

Yes, that is correct. The frame was made in the Philippines, everything else is STI as far as I know. The frame to slide fit is much better than any RIA I have had my hands on.

It's a great gun and it was relatively inexpensive for a shooter like the one I have. I have it packed in my range bag for some practice later on this afternoon.

...Ron

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, that is correct. The frame was made in the Philippines, everything else is STI as far as I know. The frame to slide fit is much better than any RIA I have had my hands on.

It's a great gun and it was relatively inexpensive for a shooter like the one I have. I have it packed in my range bag for some practice later on this afternoon.

...Ron
OK if it's it's made in the PI is it a Rock Island which is Armscor please correct me if I am wrong again...

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
OK if it's it's made in the PI is it a Rock Island which is Armscor please correct me if I am wrong again...

I don't think you were wrong the first time.

You are correct, from the little research I have done just now, it appears that the frame, slide, and barrel were made by Armscor. All internal parts were made by STI. Built to STI specifications.

...Ron

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic

...Ron
I've am an STI owner - Several models including the Spartan ll - I have been to the factory a number of times.
I don't think you were wrong the first time.

You are correct, from the little research I have done just now, it appears that the frame, slide, and barrel were made by Armscor. All internal parts were made by STI. Built to STI specifications.

...Ron
which is exactly what I said in the original post about the spartan frame & slide - And I see zero difference between that frame and slide and a mirror-image Citadel model, also made by Armscor.
I'm not knocking the Spartan. It is a good gun. I also own three other STI's and two other armscor made handguns RIA 10mm Commander & RIA 9mm.

I've been to the STI factory several times. I'm truly sorry they are no longer building
1911's. I've seen the quality first hand that goes into their products.

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
I think the difference is in the finished product. I also think the STI slide on this one is not the same as a RIA.

5BE44939-A4F6-42FB-827D-02FF0C2B1467.jpeg

...Ron

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
I could be wrong, but that slide in the pic above looks like slides made by Dasan a S.Korean company with a Plant outside Atlanta.

Supposedly several US 1911 makers use their frames and slides (all forged) and are excellent from what I have seen and heard.

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
I have no idea. This is one of the first Spartans made. I was told that the frame was Armcor and the rest was done at the STI factory. If it is all Armcor, it makes little to no difference, there are others like it but this ones mine and I'm pleased to be the owner.

I have better pistols and revolvers, but for the price I paid, this one was more than worth the cost.

...Ron

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
As posted earlier, I had read online from several different sources, that The STI Spartan line used Armscor manufactured frames, slides & barrels..(maybe even other small parts) but all parts were made to STI design & specs. I'd purchased 1 RIA 1911 ( a 9mm GI model ) prior to getting my STI Spartan ( in .45 )
I had no problem with the parts appearance, fit , or function of my RIA pistol, so the news that STI used parts sourced from Armscor didn't bother me in the least. My Spartan was purchased used, but in as new condition, so I got an even better deal than the MSRP price. I was impressed with the Spartan, as it has a nicer trigger, adjustable rear sight, machined grooves on the slide, fiber optic front sight.. many extra features, & a bit nicer finish, than either of the RIA 1911's that I own. I am aware that RIA started incorporating similar upgrades to later models of their 1911's..when RIA's first came on the market, they only offered very basic versions..like my GI model 9mm.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Here is a pic of my present on going build with a Dasan slide and a Foster frame.
You can see the resemblance I'm sure?
a3.JPG

RSCamaro

Active Fanatic
I'm also starting a build, but I'm waiting for either my new blemished Foster frame or the Caspian frame without the blemishes. Told that what ever comes in first will be sent out. I will be using an AccuracyX slide kit for my top assembly. I wish you good building.

...Ron

Spad

Active Fanatic
Pierre, Lot of these 1911's if you do research are made by Rock Island or use Rock Island frames, parts. Nothing wrong with a modded Rock, The important part does it shoot well and you like it. Lot of gunsmiths don't like to work on Rocks, the steel is hard and wears their tools out. Make it "your" pistol. Spad

Spad

Active Fanatic
Pierre, take a look at Wilson or other 1911 suppliers, different beavertail sizes, you don't have to mod the frame. I have one of my Rocks that I played with and the grip safety was a problem. That Rock is a compact and my experimate gun, has different maker parts in it. I own, Colt, Ruger and Rock Island 1911's. Rocks are good. Spad

Matthew Thomas

Fanatic
I love 1911s. All these different brands. Some work great, some don't. It seems they all are each, individual. You get to hand fit parts. Find the right mags and ammo and you are good to go. I have a ATI I bought because I wanted to learn to work on it and not wreck an expensive gun. I have spent a ton on that gun. All Wilson parts. New sights had to be dovetailed. It has a thousand dollars worth of work and parts. It is still a 300.00 dollar gun. Fun ride but the journey has been the best part. With the right ammo and mags it's lights out. You know what works the best? Mecgar cheap mags and 10 bucks a box fiocchi 9mm fmj. It will ring steel at 50 yards and run all day. It was worth it to me. I have a few other 1911s and a Glock 19. Depends on the day what I carry. We are lucky to live right now. So many great choices.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
..."Mecgar cheap mags
" Mec Gar mags aren't cheap, they're inexpensive.
& as you said, they work great. My go to mag brand for 1911's in 9mm
Those that don't know this, Mec-Gar has made some mags for many European manufacturers , i.e. Sig Sauer, & CZ, as well as many US manufacturers,
i.e. S&W, Colt, Springfield Armory, etc.. One of the largest mag manufacturers in the world.

Matthew Thomas

Fanatic
..."Mecgar cheap mags
" Mec Gar mags aren't cheap, they're inexpensive.
& as you said, they work great. My go to mag brand for 1911's in 9mm
Those that don't know this, Mec-Gar has made some mags for many European manufacturers , i.e. Sig Sauer, & CZ, as well as many US manufacturers,
i.e. S&W, Colt, Springfield Armory, etc.. One of the largest mag manufacturers in the world.
Yes, inexpensive. Sorry to offend you. They were what came with the gun. I have tried Wilson and McCormick and neither of those are 100 percent reliable like the Mecgar. I have a Springfield that shoots all the mags reliably.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" Sorry to offend you..."
No offense taken, not personal, I just didn't want anyone to think they are cheap mags..like some I tried early in my shooting experience.
Won't even consider trying a mag from some companies that I tried in the past.
Internet has helped get the word out on bad & good products. I usually read customer reviews on anything I'm buying anymore.
Years ago, I read an article on the Mec Gar company, in Italy..& was surprised how many gun companies use them to make their mags.
Some have their name stamped on a mag made by Mec Gar & charge 2X what Mec Gar sells the same unbranded mag.

Matthew Thomas

Fanatic
" Sorry to offend you..."
No offense taken, not personal, I just didn't want anyone to think they are cheap mags..like some I tried early in my shooting experience.
Won't even consider trying a mag from some companies that I tried in the past.
Internet has helped get the word out on bad & good products. I usually read customer reviews on anything I'm buying anymore.
Years ago, I read an article on the Mec Gar company, in Italy..& was surprised how many gun companies use them to make their mags.
Some have their name stamped on a mag made by Mec Gar & charge 2X what Mec Gar sells the same unbranded mag.
I really like them. These are models that you cannot disassemble. 9 rounds. I have a 10 rounder you can disassemble from Mecgar. Doesn't run reliably in my ATI. Does fine in the Springfield.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I use my Mec Gars in a Dan Wesson Guardian, A Springfield Loaded Target (Govt.size) a RIA GI 9mm (Govt size) & an American Classic 9mm Commander
the Mec Gars work great in all of them..I like the nickle mags..shiny !

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Yep, Mec-Gars are good to go, and probably, make the best BHP Mag, in the World!!!

Latest posts