Rock Island 1911's

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
Wondering what? It reads like you already replaced most of the parts with MIL Spec parts. I don't think fitting a beaver tail safety is going to be too awful a job for you. Somebody on You Tube has done the same job and had done it well.

...Ron
I have replaced several beaver tails on my 1911's and you will have to do a little grinding on it to fit. Not hard. Make template of one you are replacing and spec new one from template.

tcttcf

Fanatic
Has anyone out there tried to replace the guts of a Rock Island 1911 with mil spec parts? Found most will work but the grip safety area doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Bought a Rock Island 1911 but didn't like the trigger pull so changed most of the guts to old WWll parts I got while stationed overseas.
Seems nothing but the original safety will function???
Also cannot put the extended beaver tail without modifying the receiver itself...
The gun now shoots better than my expensive 1911's with the modifications I did but was wondering???
Most 1911s require a little fitting to install a beavertail grip safety. It is not hard, but precision is required. Brownell's sells a jig by Wilson Combat for doing it. Use good files as you will be filing the frame.

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anyone out there tried to replace the guts of a Rock Island 1911 with mil spec parts? Found most will work but the grip safety area doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Bought a Rock Island 1911 but didn't like the trigger pull so changed most of the guts to old WWll parts I got while stationed overseas.
Seems nothing but the original safety will function???
Also cannot put the extended beaver tail without modifying the receiver itself...
The gun now shoots better than my expensive 1911's with the modifications I did but was wondering???
most grip safeties have to have some fitting work done to them. grinding or file work

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
You need to purchase a jig to fit the grip safety. They are not expensive, and if you watch some of the videos carefully a couple of times and you have some mechanical instincts you'll be good. I just fitted a new one on a Springfield G.I. I am building. You need a few good files and time. Best of luck.

Latest posts