Quality boot question.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Okay, I've never owned a nice pair of warm waterproof boots. I've been wearing seal skinz and some wool socks under tennis shoes and it's really not working for me anymore.

Any recommendations for waterproof/warm boots that I can run around in when shooting a match when it's ass cold outside?

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Whatever you get, be sure to try them on with the socks you intend to wear. I like my Merrels, but any goretex quality boot should be fine. The warmest I ever had came from WalMart.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You got real honest straight up gore-tex at Wal-Mart?

G.T. I'll second the gore-tex. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. It really is water proof, not water resistant while claimed to be water proof. I wear my Merrells hiking boots which are gore-tex and have never had a foot get wet, but they aren't insulated and do get cold. I need to decent pair with insulation too.

45recoil

likes to party
Id like to get some options too. After shooting the last proam in the wet, its time to upgrade the shoes.

What boots were you wearing WillR?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Jared Carpenter said:
Id like to get some options too. After shooting the last proam in the wet, its time to upgrade the shoes.

What boots were you wearing WillR?
Will was wearing 5.11 boots if I remember right (I asked him, just don't remember 100%)

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I've worn a ton of boots and I've found that for hunting at least Rocky boots are the warmest and most comfortable...granted I've never tried to run in them, but I have walked/hiked/climbed mountains in them (10+ miles in a day) without blisters or sore feet.

On a side note, everyone looks at boots and forgets about socks. Getting a good pair of socks will do just as much for warmth/comfort.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
You got real honest straight up gore-tex at Wal-Mart?

G.T. I'll second the gore-tex. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny. It really is water proof, not water resistant while claimed to be water proof. I wear my Merrells hiking boots which are gore-tex and have never had a foot get wet, but they aren't insulated and do get cold. I need to decent pair with insulation too.
Actually, it said something like "aqua shield". The brand on the box, IIRC, was Wolf, by Rocky. They were awesome, and my dad still wears his. Of course I haven't seen them there but for the time I bought mine. But yeah, Walmart.

dennishoddy

Matt Washburn said:
everyone looks at boots and forgets about socks. Getting a good pair of socks will do just as much for warmth/comfort.
BINGO!

I spend tons of time in deer stands, and walking around the mountains in snow while hunting Socks are the single most important part of foot wear.

The technology around socks is really improving. Wool has always been the go to, and really still is. It will keep feet warm when wet with sweat or water getting inside the boot. If I wear cotton socks, the feet are cold. Wool, not so.

The new ones wick the water from the foot out the top of the sock. I'm getting ready to go elk hunting in NM where the mornings start out at -25.
I'm in the process of looking at some of the newest/latest boot socks to take for a trial run in the mountains.

Most of the major hunting sites like Bass Pro and Cabella's offer them. I'm sure some of the hiking type sites do as well.

Quality boots, and quality socks = warm feet.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Those were 5.11. They are very comfortable and light, but they aren't warm or waterproof. For that Danners are the ticket.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I've been wearing Wolverine and Doc Martin's steel-toed work boots to shoot in the cold, mainly because I get a free pair every year from work. The motorcycle boot style. The Doc Martin's keep my feet warmer, but their insole is a bit lacking. The Wolverines I just put some Dr. Scholl's inserts in and I can walk/stand comfortably for maybe ten hours. The Doc Martin's are only good for maybe four hours before the seam ridge at the outer most extreme of the boot interior starts hurting my foot by the big toe.

The Wolverine boots I wore to work every weekday for over three years, retired for two years, and started wearing again two years ago to shoot and work outdoors in mud and water. Last weekend I took the kids sledding both days, and I used one for a ski to slide down a 60 foot hill and the outsole finally tore through while skidding on the jagged ice. I waterproofed them with beeswax back in 2006 and stomped through puddles, snow, ice, and muck for a cumulative five years, in addition to daily wear, with no issues until I apparently ruined one using it for a ski. It was a pretty decent ski, too. I didn't realize the outsole had failed until I got to walk on some asphalt.

Fleche

Well-Known Fanatic
B

Beau

I bought these Rocky Boots http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-104L-S2v-Tactical-Boots/dp/B00AWAJ5DG/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3
It is my 2nd pair of rocky boots and I've really liked them both. 1st pair were steal toed work boots. I find that steel in the winter can make your toes very cold. I've had the S2V boots for about 1 year now and they are the best boots I've ever had. they are great for hiking in wet muddy areas, they've done very well in the snow but they are vented and your feet will get cold if you do not have on extra thick socks. Ive been in ankle deep water and stayed completely dry. These boots are very comfortable and i can maintain good mobility and comfort all day in these. I haven't shot a match in them yet but i suspect they would perform well. In fact I like them so much I'm going to buy their counterpart for everyday use. http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mens-Tactical-Boot-Desert/dp/B004Z6B7MK/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1386866854&sr=1-1&keywords=rocky+c4t

Fleche

Well-Known Fanatic

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Absolutely! If you want to buy once and cry once, Danner is the ticket. You wont' buy another pair of boots. Mostly because these will last forever.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

Also Chippewa Boots

http://www.chippewaboots.com/

Made in 'Mercia [mostly]

[edit: SOME of their boots are made in America. Make sure you check which ones]
Burk did you wear the Chippewas when you were surveying or rodeoing? They look like good ones and I need a pair too. I'm so sick of shoes and boots with the soles glued to the upper, they always fail there. Every FREAKING TIME no matter what brand. At least that's been my experience. I think I'm ready for the old school Goodyear welt stitched sole again.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Cabela's house brand boots (and boot socks) are great for the money. My real-deal cold weather boots are Cabela's boots that replaced a pair of Sorels I outgrew and they're of comparable quality to the Sorels.

For Oklahoma winters I have a pair of their cold weather hiking boots that I also like a lot. I would step down a bit for something I was running around in though.

Also their wool boot socks are awesome for just wearing around the house in the winter.

E: I mean old made-in-Canada Sorels. I just learned that they're made overseas now and the quality has gone down. I'm seriously bummed out by this.

The Antichrome

Whatever boot you choose, wear Smartwool socks. Period.

Also, I recommend Superfeet replacement insoles. They make an insulated version with Outlast, which aborbs and retains heat, keeping your feet warm. They work.

I have very little experience with insulated boots as they just arent used in the outdoor industry.
But, I've sold footwear at both retail and wholesale since 1992. I've worked as a sales rep for numerous footwear makers.
I still consult footwear manufacturers.
Most of the outdoor brands give me shoes/boots.

I dont wear boots in matches. I usually wear LaSportiva or Inov-8's or Adidas Outdoor.

The rest of the time I wear Oboz. They are just doing it better than anybody else right now.
I worked for them when they started up.
At the store I manage, they've become in just a few short years, our best selling trail shoes and hiking boots.
They crush Vasque, Merrell, Keen, etc.
They're fantastic. But not insulated.

YMMV.

Latest posts