Quality boot question.

The Antichrome

Burk, I've never used or examined Filsons socks. But I'll bet that Filson has them made by the same manufacturers that build everyone elses socks.
Everything I've ever seen from Filson is top shelf. (we sold their stuff years ago, but it got too pricey)

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got back from boot shopping. It's downright depressing that every single piece of footwear that Academy sells comes from China. An exception here and there for Bangladesh and Dominican Republic. Where it gets really depressing is the same thing applies to Langstons!

I checked out those UA that WillR has and man they are light! Would be really tempting for summertime.

Never did see a pair of Danners or chippewas. Guess I'll hit up Shepplers tomorrow. If that don't pan out its off to bass pro to find which boot I want and specific size, then hit the web for deals.

dennishoddy

Scott Hearn said:
Just got back from boot shopping. It's downright depressing that every single piece of footwear that Academy sells comes from China. An exception here and there for Bangladesh and Dominican Republic. Where it gets really depressing is the same thing applies to Langstons!

I checked out those UA that WillR has and man they are light! Would be really tempting for summertime.

Never did see a pair of Danners or chippewas. Guess I'll hit up Shepplers tomorrow. If that don't pan out its off to bass pro to find which boot I want and specific size, then hit the web for deals.
I'm in the same boat. My 16" 1000 gram rubber boots that I've worn for the last 5 years got a hole in one of the creases on top. Probably have a couple hundred miles of walking in them while hunting upland game in OK, and elk hunting in NM.

Unfortunately, they are china made, and come from BassPro. Redhead brand. Zip up the side. Easy to get in and out of, and for MY feet are like wearing sneakers. Over the years, I've ordered, returned, ordered, returned, about every insulated boot out there, but they just didn't feel comfortable. Those redheads keep me warm at -25F in the mornings in the high country.
They get terrible feedback from others.
They work for me.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Just bought a pair of Danner East Ridge. They are a lot lighter than I thought they would be. Still not really light but...

Burk I tried real hard to find a pair of Chippewas to look at. Struck out. And we can add Shepplers to the China list, though if you dig there are a couple of heavy work boots that are USA made in there amongst the thousands they have.

Robert I sent you a PM.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The Antichrome said:
Whatever boot you choose, wear Smartwool socks. Period.

Also, I recommend Superfeet replacement insoles. They make an insulated version with Outlast, which aborbs and retains heat, keeping your feet warm. They work.
OMG! This is so true. I picked up a pair of the superfeet insoles and wore them today. Far walking or running these are 40DD TITS! If my heel pain goes away like they claim I'll have them in every piece of footwear I own. Also picked up some Wolverine wool socks that are just about identical to smart wool. I can see this type of sock being all I wear in the winter. Soft, comfy and warm. Last wool socks I had, I utterly hated. These are killer.

Robert knows his footwear for sure...

Latest posts