Quality boot question.

dennishoddy

The Antichrome said:
Whatever boot you choose, wear Smartwool socks. Period.

Also, I recommend Superfeet replacement insoles. They make an insulated version with Outlast, which aborbs and retains heat, keeping your feet warm. They work.

I have very little experience with insulated boots as they just aren't used in the outdoor industry.
I guess I need a little more info about the bolded part.

I totally agree with the wool socks.

The Antichrome

Dennis, the short answer is: not hunting, tactical, or industrial use.
'Specialty Outdoor' is an industry term defining outdoor recreation other than hunting, snowsports, and a few others.

In the world of hiking boots, backpacking boots, and multisport footwear, there just are not any insulated boots until you get to the high altitude mountaineering category or ice-climbing boots. There are of course exceptions; Ice Bug made insulated ice-running shoes.

dennishoddy

Ok, I'm in the hunting world, and every boot out there is insulated that is designed to be worn in the winter.

Does the hiking community rely on socks to keep the warmth vs boot insulation?

I know walking/hiking keeps the circulation going and may not need the insulation that someone in a static situation might require at some point, but when you stop to eat, rest, etc where do they get the warmth?
I'm lost on this deal.

The Antichrome

Totally different usage. They dont tend to stop for long periods of time.
They're also not walking slowly thru a wet muddy field on a 25 degree morning.
Its just very different than sitting in a deer stand or duck blind.
Upland hunting, I suppose, would be a gray area. Most of the pheasant hunters that I know, dont use insulated boots, even in So Dakota/Iowa/Nebraska unless its really really cold. But I'm sure that many do.

I've hiked and climbed and snowshoed in Wyoming/Colorado etc. I've also climbed extensively throughout North America, and Europe. I've climbed 18,000 ft tall, snow/ice covered volcanos in uninsulated mountaineering boots. If I was stationary long enough for my feet to get cold, I was probably already in my sleeping bag. My snowboarding boots and my old ice climbing boots were insulated 'double boots' ...my feet burn up in them.

I sell lots of hiking boots and backpacking boots from the market share leaders. I cant think of a single insulated model.
The only insulated boots in my store are foofy Uggs and Sorels;-)
But, we dont sell hunting boots.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Surveying and hunting. No insulation. Just wool socks

Scott Hearn said:
Burk did you wear the Chippewas when you were surveying or rodeoing? They look like good ones and I need a pair too. I'm so sick of shoes and boots with the soles glued to the upper, they always fail there. Every FREAKING TIME no matter what brand. At least that's been my experience. I think I'm ready for the old school Goodyear welt stitched sole again.

dennishoddy

The Antichrome said:
Totally different usage. They dont tend to stop for long periods of time.
They're also not walking slowly thru a wet muddy field on a 25 degree morning.
Its just very different than sitting in a deer stand or duck blind.
Upland hunting, I suppose, would be a gray area. Most of the pheasant hunters that I know, dont use insulated boots, even in So Dakota/Iowa/Nebraska unless its really really cold. But I'm sure that many do.

I've hiked and climbed and snowshoed in Wyoming/Colorado etc. I've also climbed extensively throughout North America, and Europe. I've climbed 18,000 ft tall, snow/ice covered volcanos in uninsulated mountaineering boots. If I was stationary long enough for my feet to get cold, I was probably already in my sleeping bag. My snowboarding boots and my old ice climbing boots were insulated 'double boots' ...my feet burn up in them.

I sell lots of hiking boots and backpacking boots from the market share leaders. I cant think of a single insulated model.
The only insulated boots in my store are foofy Uggs and Sorels;-)
But, we dont sell hunting boots.
I've seen the climbers using thin boots on TV, and can totally understand why. Feet busy, circulation moving makes for warm feet.

Two different worlds I guess. My personal boots have 500 grams for long walks behind the dogs in the pheasant fields, and 800 when I elk hunt. Depending on how cold it is will determine if cotton socks or wool blends will be used.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Nope, lots of good info.

Robert, what boot/shoe would you reccomend for a shooter? Remember, running around a little bit, tons of standing, water/mud when it rains.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Until today I wasn't aware that Sorels had become a fru-fru fashion statement like Uggs.

I don't think people who aren't from the Great Lakes region can understand how upsetting this is.

Imagine if every vapid Lindsay Lohan wannabe suddenly had a pink dualie F-350. It's like that.

The Antichrome

GT, I'm a huge fan of Oboz boots. Since the snow/sleet/rain started last week, I've been wearing a pair of Oboz Wind Rivers all day, every day...even my 10 hour days on the concrete floor.
Swing by Backwoods and check some out.

However, like I said, I just dont wear boots in matches. But a lot of those 'tactical' style boots look fine.

The Antichrome

Asolo is a decent boot. I wore them a lot 20 years ago.
They ignored the US market for a long time (other than their big box accounts)
They havent tried very hard to sell to small or independent retailers.

I see them at the trade shows, they look alright.
I attend numerous outdoor and footwear tradeshows. I follow all the industry news.
I have every footwear company rep knocking on my door (with few exceptions)
But I havent heard much "epic buzz" about Asolo.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
The Antichrome said:
Asolo is a decent boot. I wore them a lot 20 years ago.
They ignored the US market for a long time (other than their big box accounts)
They havent tried very hard to sell to small or independent retailers.

I see them at the trade shows, they look alright.
I attend numerous outdoor and footwear tradeshows. I follow all the industry news.
I have every footwear company rep knocking on my door (with few exceptions)
But I havent heard much "epic buzz" about Asolo.
The epic buzz was what I was reading on the internet about a month ago. Everyone raving, but it's hard to tell if people are just "fans" who had just bought the day before and are really proud of them or if they have actually used them for awhile and still love them. That's why I kind of take reviews on Amazon and such with a grain of salt. Very few wait before writing stuff up.

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
Robert my son asked for some socks for Christmas and he told us the smartwool company was sold and the quality had gone down. He said the person who founded the smartwool is now making some called point 6 and he wanted some of those. Have you heard that? My son does a lot of back packing, he is a trail foreman and guide at Philmont during the summers and will probably make a trip out this winter.

The Antichrome

scubor2 said:
Robert my son asked for some socks for Christmas and he told us the smartwool company was sold and the quality had gone down. He said the person who founded the smartwool is now making some called point 6 and he wanted some of those. Have you heard that? My son does a lot of back packing, he is a trail foreman and guide at Philmont during the summers and will probably make a trip out this winter.
Most of that is correct. SW was sold many years ago. After his non-compete clause expired, one of the originators of SW started a new sock company, Point 6. They are very good socks. If they were any better than SW, I'd carry them in my store.
We've had a lower return rate with SW than any other brand we've ever carried...such a difference that we stopped carrying any other brand. We were really high on a brand called Fits...but they return rate was higher and SW sold better anyway.

The dirty little secret about socks is that the best ones are still made in the USA with Merino wool from Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania. Most of them are built in the same US factories. Most people would never find a difference between SW, P6, Darn Tough, Teko, Bridgedale, etc...and they all cost the same.

scubor2

S.L.C.G.A.
You are the shoe Guru ! Good info. I may have to get me some SW although my lab with the sock fetish may stalk me until she gets a chance to pounce on them.

Latest posts