Would you rather have a 1911 in 9mm or .45 Pros and Con?

Airdale26

Fanatic
One final thought Is changing the caliber form 45 ACP to anything else UN-AMerican. NO aabsolutely NOT in fact it is very american.

dennishoddy

Agee 100% Dennis. BTW, did you get some bad twisters up your way? Looked like Hollister and a few other towns might have been hit bad. '

Also I forgot to add in the above diatribe that I bought some LOC black cerakote 1911 solid brass grips, scribed some bobtail lines, cut that area off and made them to fit my Stingray. Made the LW Stingray damned perfect in feel and weight with those heavy brass grips. Texture is really nice also. They added 8 ounces to the grip area which seemed to take even more recoil out of the 9mm standard recoil.
We missed the tornado's in North Central by a couple miles, but drove through Southern Okla where an EF-4 destroyed Marietta along I-35 on our way home from Dallas. The destruction was incredible. Semi's tossed around like matchsticks at the Dollar Store distribution warehouse. The huge building was 60% totally destroyed. Homes flattened everywhere. Terrible for the families that have to rebuild if they can.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I keep going back and forth on the new 1911 -

I just shot my friends Tisa 1911 that was chambered in 9mm, and I must say it was awesome.

The ability to limit recoil, and having a few extra rounds was great.

Are there any other pro's and cons I'm overlooking when considering a 9mm vs a .45 for the 1911 platform?

I feel that shot placement is always more important than stopping power necessarily.
The 1911 should only be chambered 45 acp.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
My 1911's were in 45 acp only, for > 20 yrs. Finally tried one in 9mm, then added a few more in 9mm. After my 1st 1911 in 9mm, I wondered why I waited so long.
I actually bought a 10mm ( Delta Elite) before the 9mm..forgot about it. Though I load my own, I still prefer shooting the 9mm. Not sure if it's because I'm getting older ? Maybe..I do know I can tell the difference, having 150 rds in my range bag , if they're 45's or 9mm.

Shooting them, I find I may shoot a 45 or a 9mm more accurately, depending on the pistol, the day of the week, or phase of the moon..

pcb

Fanatic
I started my 1911 life with 45 acp, both military and civilian. As I got older and my wrist got wore out, I tried 9mm. Currently have only a 9mm. There for a long time 9mm 1911 were not that dependable. That problem has changed, so I'm happy with a 1911 in 9mm.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic

I just shot my friends Tisa 1911 that was chambered in 9mm, and I must say it was awesome.

Are there any other pro's and cons I'm overlooking when considering a 9mm vs a .45 for the 1911 platform?

I feel that shot placement is always more important than stopping power necessarily.
A 9mm out of a 1911a1 is not natural, against all order in the universe...

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
9mm in a Hi Power with a BH springs solutions package is much better than a 1911 degraded to 9mm or better yet just get a CZ-75.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
The 1911 frame as originally designed was for the 45 ACP. The 1911 frame has had individuals who have desired to have the frame tailored to 9mm, 40 cal, 38 super, and 22LR. While some will think this the most horrorable thing to do to 1911, but in reality it shows the versatility of the frame to accept such changes. So While I prefer the 45 ACP to change the frame to anything else it is up to the beholder.
blasphemy... hope i spelt it rite...

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic

concur with shot placement is more important. I just cannot see giving money to a country that does not support us.

tbarnier

Fanatic
I like the .45acp. One it has much more stopping power than the nine. Two 1911's were designed for Gods caliber. I guess you can run your 9mm if you can't handle the .45.

Latest posts