OK...you're carrying and there's an active shooter,

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Awareness of your surroundings is paramount . You can't start shooting with people running around . I hate being paranoid , but I'm really on my guard at church . I also sit with my back to the wall in public places like restaurants . I do a lot of people watching with peripheral vision .
I do the same, I always sit so I can see all doors and possible entry areas where a person can get in.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
What do you do?

My take - I say you engage him. You can disrupt his evil act at the very least. Better....you could save a number of lives. Worst case....you die. But if you do nothing, that very well may happen anyway.
If shots have been fired,try and take cover and put the perp. Down.

dhawk46

Active Fanatic
Situational awareness needs to be a routine part of daily routine. Weather at Church, a theater, supermarket. or just out for a walk. Leave the phone in your pocket. Pay attention to strangers. Live in Yellow! DVC

greengiant

Fanatic
I believe the focus should simply be to stop the threat. When the bullets are flying, I don't think there would be time to think about what order anything should be done....just stop the threat as quickly and cleanly as possib

I believe the focus should simply be to stop the threat. When the bullets are flying, I don't think there would be time to think about what order anything should be done....just stop the threat as quickly and cleanly as possible.
Your focus should be on neutralizing the threat as rapidly as possible!

greengiant

Fanatic
Awareness of your surroundings is paramount . You can't start shooting with people running around . I hate being paranoid , but I'm really on my guard at church . I also sit with my back to the wall in public places like restaurants . I do a lot of people watching with peripheral vision .
Sounds like you and I studied the same playbook!

Airdale26

Fanatic
What do you do?

My take - I say you engage him. You can disrupt his evil act at the very least. Better....you could save a number of lives. Worst case....you die. But if you do nothing, that very well may happen anyway.
I respectfully disagree to instantly engage. There are to many variables that must be considered in nano seconds. You need to react first to the unfolding situation. assess what you know, and determine threat level. Not every situation is the same as you are dealing with people- which means it can be a very fluid situation. (Dynamic)
I fully agree with maintaining a solid situational awareness, even at home. It can not and should not ruin or impact your life style or mental health. It needs to become part of your daily tasks, like reading the newspaper or going for coffee. We are creatures of habit, so we need to incorporate these tasks into our daily thinking so it become a habit. This goes a long way into reacting to situations and determining hazard potential, instead of having to think about for seconds. Just a humble opinion.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Just the way I was raised, I walk into any situation with a look for weapons' then whos here & why.
You can't always have a gun so use what's available however always believe danger exist everywhere &
you need to react.

I'm just saying develop the 3rd sense, danger is seconds away so prepare for a fight before anything happens.
I learned that no where in Country are you any safer, than I was in a foreign country.

Semper Fi every damn where, then get mad & release the animal & fight back!

MAGA

Active Fanatic
Encouraging to see that no one said just run to safety.. Land of the free because of the BRAVE.

dhawk46

Active Fanatic
Must assess the situation prior to any action, unless you are under direct or immanent threat. Situational awareness may well prevent the exposure to danger. Live in Yellow...

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Engage if you must, otherwise, escape and evade as necessary.

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
Only going to do what is necessary to protect myself and my family. Thought about this many times.

falrifles

Fanatic
It is important what weapon you may be packing that day, as Galloway stated. I was a Swat operator from 1994-98. Department firearms instructor for a period of time prior to my service on HRT. Having said that, If I'm packing my Kel Tec P32 or S&W 642, I won't be engaging a subject with an AR15 or a Glock with a foot long magazine hanging below the grip frame. Unless I am able to advance on him while he is reloading, or set up a blind ambush.

The one survivor who engaged Timothy Hendron on 1-10-2007; the active shooter in the ABB incident in North St Louis, engaged the shooter on the company parking lot with his Kel Tec P3AT. He was in fact wounded, however he was not executed as the previous two victims were. He carried that gun against company policy at the time. Interesting to note, that afterwards it was allowed. The active shooter expected to execute unarmed victims. He became off-balance when someone returned fire.

The shooter was armed with an AKM/ AK 47 type weapon as well as a Mossberg 12 gage with extended magazine. His handgun was a 40 caliber.

Being confronted by the armed employee, Hendron broke off his engagement, and headed to the company office where he murdered his last victim, prior to taking his own life. I was working the street that day and was sent there with other officers, to engage the shooter and clear the buildings. By the time we arrived it was over.

Tactics are key in these incidents. However, someone has to stop the killing immediately. This post is a good argument for carrying a duty capable firearm everyday. I can't say that I'm willing to do that myself. 40 years in law enforcement and a back that hurts everyday...

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It is important what weapon you may be packing that day, as Galloway stated. I was a Swat operator from 1994-98. Department firearms instructor for a period of time prior to my service on HRT. Having said that, If I'm packing my Kel Tec P32 or S&W 642, I won't be engaging a subject with an AR15 or a Glock with a foot long magazine hanging below the grip frame. Unless I am able to advance on him while he is reloading, or set up a blind ambush.

The one survivor who engaged Timothy Hendron on 1-10-2007; the active shooter in the ABB incident in North St Louis, engaged the shooter on the company parking lot with his Kel Tec P3AT. He was in fact wounded, however he was not executed as the previous two victims were. He carried that gun against company policy at the time. Interesting to note, that afterwards it was allowed. The active shooter expected to execute unarmed victims. He became off-balance when someone returned fire. The shooter was armed with an AKM/ AK 47 type weapon as well as a Mossberg 12 gage with extended magazine. His handgun was a 40 caliber.

Tactics are key in these incidents.
The last sentence in your post is the most important one.

Skyviking

Fanatic
If the shooter, his actions, and activity is not within your immediate range of vision/presence for an immediate reactive response to an articulable threat of great bodily harm or death to You and/or your family/loved ones, Round up & Move w/family members to safety = exit > car> then keep going. Rule One of Gunfights is: Don't Be There! Sounds Harsh, but you do not need to go looking for trouble. Your responsibility is to your family and yourself. Your family depends on you. Just sending them in the direction of an exit means you are assuming that they will be safe if they get out. What if there are accomplices covering the exits/parking lot? If you are fortunate enough to get your family to real safety and then return to engage, then what? Who/What actually is the threat? Where is it and Who are you looking for? You may catch a bullet before you are able to recognize/identify a threat. If you are walking around with a pistol in your hand, then you are SAS (no, that doesn't stand for Special Air Service). If you got everyone loaded in the car, got your uber-kewel "truck gun" (carbine/shotgun/PCC - & chest rig/PC), got the fam on the road and headed back to the fray, then you really are SAS. The Nike, if not Firestone Defense is your best option. Remember that distance is your friend. Bullets, Blood, and resultant Police, Lawyers, and Money are not in your best interests unless there is NO choice. Even the people you save will Sue You- as well as the family of any dirtbag you have to shoot - as well as anyone they planted or injured, or got injured fleeing - since it will somehow now be your fault, too.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If the shooter, his actions, and activity is not within your immediate range of vision/presence for an immediate reactive response to an articulable threat of great bodily harm or death to You and/or your family/loved ones, Round up & Move w/family members to safety = exit > car> then keep going. Rule One of Gunfights is: Don't Be There! Sounds Harsh, but you do not need to go looking for trouble. Your responsibility is to your family and yourself. Your family depends on you. Just sending them in the direction of an exit means you are assuming that they will be safe if they get out. What if there are accomplices covering the exits/parking lot? If you are fortunate enough to get your family to real safety and then return to engage, then what? Who/What actually is the threat? Where is it and Who are you looking for? You may catch a bullet before you are able to recognize/identify a threat. If you are walking around with a pistol in your hand, then you are SAS (no, that doesn't stand for Special Air Service). If you got everyone loaded in the car, got your uber-kewel "truck gun" (carbine/shotgun/PCC - & chest rig/PC), got the fam on the road and headed back to the fray, then you really are SAS. The Nike, if not Firestone Defense is your best option. Remember that distance is your friend. Bullets, Blood, and resultant Police, Lawyers, and Money are not in your best interests unless there is NO choice. Even the people you save will Sue You- as well as the family of any dirtbag you have to shoot - as well as anyone they planted or injured, or got injured fleeing - since it will somehow now be your fault, too.
Very wise words.

Latest posts