Looking to purchase my first 1911

AndrewG1906

New Fanatic
Greetings, 1911 community, and thank you for welcoming me to this group! I am looking forward to corresponding with many of you and learning a lot about the 1911 platform. While I am not new to shooting 1911s, I have never owned one, but currently own several pistols from Glock, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, Taurus, and others.

As a Certified NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, I am finally ready to add a 1911 to my firearms collection and list of handguns that I train with my students. I am considering entry-level training/demonstration grade 1911s from the Springfield 1911 Mil-spec, Kimber Micro, Remington R1, and Taurus 1911 Commander and Officer lineup. I desire something shorter than a 5" barrel length and prefer something in Commander (4.2") and Officer (3.5") barrel length as I teach concealed carry classes, and find it easier to hide IWB with compact and subcompact size weapons. Any feedback and/or suggestions would certainly be appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning/participating in this group!

fflincher

Active Fanatic
WELCOME!

I've got Colts, and some are beautiful. I'm not a good enough shot to take advantage of a tuned gun. I've got cheap .45 1911s made in the Philippines that are just as reliable and accurate in my hands. I've shot Springfields, Taurus, ParaOrdnance, and Smith and Wessons that all do the same things.

Some are prettier to look at, but pretty is as pretty does, and they all seem to do well from today's manufacturers.

I'd get cheap for training so dropping them will just prove how tough they all are.

Chuck43

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois AndrewG1906. For a short 1911 you might want to take a look at Kimbers Ultra (3") series of guns. The one's that I have and carry are just as accurate as my Pro (4") and Custom (5") series of Kimbers.

AndrewG1906

New Fanatic
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois AndrewG1906. For a short 1911 you might want to take a look at Kimbers Ultra (3") series of guns. The one's that I have and carry are just as accurate as my Pro (4") and Custom (5") series of Kimbers.
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

AndrewG1906

New Fanatic
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions!

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation. You might want to check out the line of Kimbers. I shoot and carry a pro carry 2.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome aboard from east Missouri! If you prefer the short 1911s, I couldn't be more pleased with my Colt Defender. I had reliability concerns with any 1911 shorter than Commander length 4.25", but my Colt Defender eats everything I feed her. The alloy frame makes carry a dream, she literally disappears in a quality IWB holster. She's quite a gal!!

608AFD0F-463D-4978-90FA-E054C40CB9AA.jpegE3CFA707-4803-482E-B00F-3EE589388A25.jpegFF1F0962-F9C6-42AB-AA81-9EC64DACF6D5.jpeg

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome! This rabbit hole is deep. I would suggest a WMG from CCP or an Alchemy to prevent buyers remorse too soon. If you're on a budget, DW.

Captain Mike

Fanatic
Welcome! I own one Kimber that I run a suppressor on....great gun. I have a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup that is the standard for a great 1911. The Ruger 1911 LW Compact always works great for carry but I feel Sig Sauer makes the best 1911 out there other than Dan Wesson for the money. Never had much luck with a Springfield Compact I had....only fed Ball ammo. The Ruger is the best value and the Dan Wesson is reasonable top shelf these days.

georgepugh

New Fanatic
I really like the quality of the real Chinese Norincos, there are still some beauties and they are still reasonable in good shape.

georgepugh

New Fanatic
You buy by what you want: The Norinco has better steel, and feel better in my hand than my Caspian.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
When I see a question like this on bit of thought, "One day you may wish to sell it, buy something others would also like" The Tarus would be a no go here, Springfield, Ruger, Colt, STI Trogan, Remington all would be fine with my #1 pick the STI a clean used one is a great buy and should out shoot the rest easy also a S&W there fine.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just don't get one and instantly start changing parts then all loose. It that's the case you got the wrong one to begin with. Leaving for range now check back later.

Reb Tyree

Fanatic
Greetings, 1911 community, and thank you for welcoming me to this group! I am looking forward to corresponding with many of you and learning a lot about the 1911 platform. While I am not new to shooting 1911s, I have never owned one, but currently own several pistols from Glock, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, Taurus, and others.

As a Certified NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, I am finally ready to add a 1911 to my firearms collection and list of handguns that I train with my students. I am considering entry-level training/demonstration grade 1911s from the Springfield 1911 Mil-spec, Kimber Micro, Remington R1, and Taurus 1911 Commander and Officer lineup. I desire something shorter than a 5" barrel length and prefer something in Commander (4.2") and Officer (3.5") barrel length as I teach concealed carry classes, and find it easier to hide IWB with compact and subcompact size weapons. Any feedback and/or suggestions would certainly be appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning/participating in this group!

Welcome Andrew to the forum.

I have own several brands of 1911's, and have carried as an LEO both on and off duty, now retired, a Colt Gov't Model and also a Colt Commander. My current carry 1911's are a Kimber TLE/RL 5 inch barrel in 45 acp, also a Kimber Custom Shop Pro, 4 inch barrel in 45 acp.

Both 1911's were carried in a Milt Sparks IWB leather holster, with no issues or problems. Or a Raven Concealment OWB holster and double mag pouche, both. Both are outstanding, I carried them while I was serving with the Army over in Iraq.

I've run both of my Kimber 1911's hard in training. So I've learned a lot from training with the 1911a1 platform. To quote Thunder Ranch's "Clint Smith" "Two is one, one is none." If you intend to also use your choice of 1911's in your classes I would suggest the Kimber Custom Pro 4 inch barrel or a Springfield Range Officer model both in 45 acp.

The 3 inch barreled 1911's require constant training ie: Range time with the gun to stay proficient with it. Which you know as an Instructor, shooting is a perishable skill. If you intend to allow students to run your 1911's in class, then I would suggest an all steel frane firearm.

This is just my two cents worth of imput after serving as an Instructor and Range master in training LEO's and Military troops. Hope this helps you. Again Welcome to the forum.

Reb Tyree

Fanatic

Welcome Andrew to the forum.

I have own several brands of 1911's, and have carried as an LEO both on and off duty, now retired, a Colt Gov't Model and also a Colt Commander. My current carry 1911's are a Kimber TLE/RL 5 inch barrel in 45 acp, also a Kimber Custom Shop Pro, 4 inch barrel in 45 acp.

Both 1911's were carried in a Milt Sparks IWB leather holster, with no issues or problems. Or a Raven Concealment OWB holster and double mag pouche, both. Both are outstanding, I carried them while I was serving with the Army over in Iraq.

I've run both of my Kimber 1911's hard in training. So I've learned a lot from training with the 1911a1 platform. To quote Thunder Ranch's "Clint Smith" "Two is one, one is none." If you intend to also use your choice of 1911's in your classes I would suggest the Kimber Custom Pro 4 inch barrel or a Springfield Range Officer model both in 45 acp.

The 3 inch barreled 1911's require constant training ie: Range time with the gun to stay proficient with it. Which you know as an Instructor, shooting is a perishable skill. If you intend to allow students to run your 1911's in class, then I would suggest an all steel frane firearm.

This is just my two cents worth of imput after serving as an Instructor and Range master in training LEO's and Military troops. Hope this helps you. Again Welcome to the forum.

johnk568

Fanatic
My opinion is, buy one you can afford and fits in your hand. I have a lot of1911's, 3- 5", green, blue, black, and tan. I love them all. I have Colts, Springfields, RIA's, Sig Sauers, Essex, and Caspian. I carry a Colt Defender in 9MM with crimson trace grips in summer and a full size 1911, in .45 in winter. Trick is to carry what you like and hit the target with.motivator2090987ccaf0ee4379e79c5263.jpg

Fanatic
I own probably 25 or more1911s and for years was a self proclaimed 1911 snob,
But over time I learned that price don't make the gun run.
From colt to kimber, Caspian to custom, but on Saturday when I travel to the local idpa match it's my rock island ultra commander that make the trip. And has for the last four or five years, my kimber broke an extractor an I replaced with the ria and have never went back to the kimber.
The only person you have to impress is your self,
Buy what fits your hand and points well for you.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic

I would stay away from the Remington R1. I just traded one in that I bought new. I found it very inaccurate compared to my Dan Wesson's, a colt and two Springfield's. It also would not battery hollow points. Like a lot of things, you get what you pay for. Not an entry 1911 maybe but the Dan Wesson's ( I have three) are great. Really like the Springfield EMP as well. It's my wife's carry so I trust it.