Looking to purchase my first 1911

Sundance98

Fanatic
Greetings, 1911 community, and thank you for welcoming me to this group! I am looking forward to corresponding with many of you and learning a lot about the 1911 platform. While I am not new to shooting 1911s, I have never owned one, but currently own several pistols from Glock, Beretta, Ruger, Walther, Taurus, and others.

As a Certified NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor, I am finally ready to add a 1911 to my firearms collection and list of handguns that I train with my students. I am considering entry-level training/demonstration grade 1911s from the Springfield 1911 Mil-spec, Kimber Micro, Remington R1, and Taurus 1911 Commander and Officer lineup. I desire something shorter than a 5" barrel length and prefer something in Commander (4.2") and Officer (3.5") barrel length as I teach concealed carry classes, and find it easier to hide IWB with compact and subcompact size weapons. Any feedback and/or suggestions would certainly be appreciated! Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning/participating in this group!

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
All good advice given above. One in particular stood out. For teaching purposes, and assuming that you demonstrate what you teach, a 4" bbl is probably a better choice over 3" for CC. I recently took a CC course for a very pleasant week at Gunsite, and we shot out to 25 yards. That would be tough with a 3" bbl but OK with a 4". The one hole drill is probably better done with a 4" bbl. I have several 1911's and not a lot of difference among the upper level guns, but across the board there is a difference. As to which gun to get. Easy. Get the best one that you can afford and you won't regret it. I just took a week long advanced pistol course and used a "sorta" 1911 that performed really well. Pricy, but my CC gun; a Wilson EDC X9. Like a 1911 but no grip safety.

Latest posts