Lets see some nice Commanders.

hipowr

Fanatic
I got a couple more Commanders since my last post. First is a Colt I found in a local shop. Hard chrome finish and I ditched the rubber grips for some G10, but sweet Colt. I love the old school custom look.

Coltcommander.jpg

Second is a Wilson ACP Commander I got for myself to celebrate my retirement. I had to change to grips to add some color though. The black factory grips just didn't do it for me.

WilsonG10.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a couple more Commanders since my last post. First is a Colt I found in a local shop. Hard chrome finish and I ditched the rubber grips for some G10, but sweet Colt. I love the old school custom look.

View attachment 24689

Second is a Wilson ACP Commander I got for myself to celebrate my retirement. I had to change to grips to add some color though. The black factory grips just didn't do it for me.

View attachment 24690
I love your commanders, especially the Hard Chrome one! My taste runs more to retro, or stock looking guns.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Love me some hard chrome and on a Colt? Outstanding. Congratulations on your retirement and the gift to yourself

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Any idea who did the work on this gun?
I have a Combat Commander that is set up like that with two slides. It was built in mid 1973 by Austin Behlert.
Looks more like his work than Armand's. Also have a couple of guns Armand did for me that both have his stippling on the slide top and his version of a squared trigger guard.
The name on the slide does not ring a bell with me.

jquan2004

New Fanatic
Any idea who did the work on this gun?

this was built by oliver smith of san bruno, ca. circa 1972. at this time, he rivaled bob chow, armand swenson, and pachmayer . this pistol is on its 3rd barrel and still shoots good. its run hard and fast, still all original except barrel, bushing, and springs. mr smith could nave been a great one in this business, but sadly, the bottle got to him and he passed way too early. i have a 5 incher built by him that is all original except for the recoil spring. been blasting it for 45 years, thousands of hard ball rapid fire sessions. no breakage or malfunctions what so ever! thanks for asking.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
this was built by oliver smith of san bruno, ca. circa 1972. at this time, he rivaled bob chow, armand swenson, and pachmayer . this pistol is on its 3rd barrel and still shoots good. its run hard and fast, still all original except barrel, bushing, and springs. mr smith could nave been a great one in this business, but sadly, the bottle got to him and he passed way too early. i have a 5 incher built by him that is all original except for the recoil spring. been blasting it for 45 years, thousands of hard ball rapid fire sessions. no breakage or malfunctions what so ever! thanks for asking.
Thank you for the back story. Shame he passed so early.

nod

Active Fanatic
Guncrafter makes some nice pistols.
A person really doesn't know how nice a Guncrafter is until they shoot one. The commanders are really, really great to shoot plus they look great. Yes I have one and was blown away the first time I took it to the range.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
A Hillsdale/Baer Comanche (Commander) in the Lord's Caliber
BaerTRSCommanche.jpeg

cxm

Active Fanatic
Ok... I'll take a shot at a few...

This is a 9mm Commander , or started life as one... lt is now a 9x23 and an amazing pistol...

pScXPVJ.jpg

Next is a stainless Commander from the 1990s IIRC I used for a carry gun for a few years... It is a good shooter and totally reliable... it is a 45ACP of course...

Kt5vNOa.jpg

Here we have another 9mm Commander that became a 9x23... Shoots like a laser with a very powerful cartridge. The factory load is a 124gr JSP at 1470fps!! I load a Speer 124gr JHP designed for the 357 SIG and get a significantly faster result... I have chronographed some loads at over 1,600 fps from a 5" 1911 in 9x23. I expect from a 4" barrel it would be 40-60 fps slower.

m9eTo6B.jpg

Here is another stainless Commander, also used as a carry gun.

Pz8nWcD.jpg

This one is a safe queen...

5T7YjR8.jpg

Another Commander, this time plain old 45ACP.

4c1EzCn.jpg

This stainless Commander went to Clarks for a meltdown for carry... a great carry gun now with no sharp edges. Other than having the melt down I added a new thumb safety, a slightly extended beaver tail (the original Colt cut the web of my hand) an arched main spring housing, skeletal hammer and light weight trigger... otherwise is a strait stock gun.

77gy7iM.jpg

That should be enough for now... hope they are of interest.

Chuck

Last edited:

squarebale19

Well-Known Fanatic

This is a 9mm Commander , or started life as one... lt is now a 9x23 and an amazing pistol...

pScXPVJ.jpg

Next is a stainless Commander from the 1990s IIRC I used for a carry gun for a few years... It is a good shooter and totally reliable... it is a 45ACP of course...

Kt5vNOa.jpg

Here we have another 9mm Commander that became a 9x23... Shoots like a laser with a very powerful cartridge. The factory load is a 124gr JSP at 1470fps!! I load a Speer 124gr JHP designed for the 357 SIG and get a significantly faster result... I have chronographed some loads at over 1,600 fps from a 5" 1911 in 9x23. I expect from a 4" barrel it would be 40-60 fps slower.

m9eTo6B.jpg

Pz8nWcD.jpg

5T7YjR8.jpg

4c1EzCn.jpg

This stainless Commander went to Clarks for a meltdown for carry... a great carry gun now with no sharp edges. Other than having the melt down I added a new thumb safety, a slightly extended beaver tail (the original Colt cut the web of my hand) an arched main spring housing, skeletal hammer and light weight trigger... otherwise is a strait stock gun.

77gy7iM.jpg

Chuck

pScXPVJ.jpg

Kt5vNOa.jpg

m9eTo6B.jpg

Pz8nWcD.jpg

5T7YjR8.jpg

4c1EzCn.jpg

77gy7iM.jpg

Chuck
You should be ashamed of your selfishness and sell quickly contact me anytime.

Latest posts