Less than $1000 out of the box with best trigger

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
..." snagged it for $699 .." that was / is an incredibly good deal.. Since owning 1911's from Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Rock Island Armory, MetroArms,( & a few others I'm probably forgetting).. I feel qualified to offer my opinion(s).. First a few ?'s for you..
.1) how important is resale value to you ? From a functional standpoint, there's little difference between most models ( shocking , but true )

A lower priced 1911 from a company like RIA, MetroArms, & a bunch of other brands, MAY ( not will ) be as accurate, reliable, etc.. as other name brands selling for 2 X the price, or more.. BUT..understand that buying a lower price 1911 to "try"one ,may not be the best purchase, IF you look @ resale value..or consider selling it in the future. Most experienced 1911 owners probably have shared my experience..that is, buy an inexpensive 1911, shoot it awhile, then start upgrading it.. a trigger job, new grips, change sights, add extended controls, etc.. and you end up with an entry level 1911, set up the way you like..but you'll have 2X or 3X what you paid for the pistol, invested in upgrades.

This is not a problem, really, if you plan to keep the gun a long time & have it stay in your collection. Problem arises if you decide you want to sell it & buy a nicer pistol. Selling it, you will most likely get around what you paid for the pistol, when first purchased (if that) the $ spent in upgrades will (usually) NOT be returned in a sale..

If resale value is important, best return will be on a big name (popular) 1911's ..Colt is best @ this, Dan Wesson, Springfield, & others, may be close to Colt.. Wilson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Guncrafter, etc.. are (or may be) a good used purchase , as the can be found @ great deals, if you hunt for them.. though entry price will be beyond your $1K level (probably) but will sell used @ much lower price than new..

This is my experience, buying pistols , & even selling a few. Good luck with your purchase decision..

I will add my experience is, Springfield Armory does offer good value for their price..IMO.

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
No question in my mind. Colt govt or springfield milspec. If you desire more modern features, colt govt competition or springfield range officer or loaded.
Both proven tough all steel govt models. You'll end up with a colt eventually, might as well be sooner. Both under a grand, forged steel, USA made and hold their value better than most.
Off topic here but I try to not spend my money in off shore. And if really budget minded look at springfield defender. I know I'll likely get flamed for some decisions SAI made recently concerning our 2nd amendment and I definitely can't support their management for their decisions. Still the springfield are a solid buy IMHO. But I'm a colt guy

Jim

Fanatic
Hi there. Newbie here. Have Glocks and Rugers. Exploring 1911 and might be getting hooked already. Reading a lot. Read "If you were buying your first 1911 " several times. Seeking advice on $1000 or less guns out of the box with the best triggers. Thanks.
The best would be a Ruger SR1911, which are perfect right out of the box. Any "better" trigger would be dangerous. About 800 bucks.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I have seen very few sub $1,000 guns with good triggers. I have dry fored many at stores and gun shows over the years and most needed lots of work.

My Valors have triggers that are pretty good and I feel like spending $200+ per gun with a custom gunsmith is not going to give me enough improvement to justify the cost. The lesson is even spending the money for a DW may not get you a great trigger. It certainly hasn't gotten me reliability.

If you want to guarantee yourself a good gun, then skip the production guns and get a semi or full custom gun. It will be built properly and have a great trigger. But, for most people, buying such a 1911 requires financial discipline and patience. Most gun owners seem to be unable to dedicate themselves to saving for such a gun.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got Remington, Desert Eagle, Kimber all have good triggers, Desert Eagle made by Bul Armory especially, you don't have to spend 3000 bucks to get a good 1911, not these days, Rock Islands aren't bad either and if you want a 2 lb trigger competent gunsmith can fix you up

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe you will find that all pistols are different, in how the trigger feels.
True on any pistol I've owned, auto loader or revolver., regardless of brand
Even 2 identical model /brand pistols will have "different" feeling triggers...best to try the trigger pull (dry fire) any pistol you're considering to buy.
To say that any one brand pistol is better than another, or that any pistol is "perfect ' is just that one person's opinion.

My opinion is that a milspec 1911 is a good buy..IF you want a very basic 1911 & are not going to modify it beyond a grip change. If you start changing sights, tighter barrel bushing, beavertail grip safety, extended controls, etc.. buy a pistol that comes with these options. It's much more expensive to add accessories to a mil spec 1911 ,than buying a 1911 that already has the options you want..

Last edited:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
A fully loaded rock Island is 550-600 bucks fiber optic sights, magwell, g10 grips, don't have to touch it, with 1911's you can spend what you want but you don't have to spend a lot

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi there. Exploring 1911 and might be getting hooked already. Reading a lot. Read "If you were buying your first 1911 " several times. Seeking advice on $1000 or less guns out of the box with the best triggers. Thanks.

I believe you'll be very pleased with your Springfield R. O. Reading & research always pays off! AND you got a great deal! Everyone's been buying guns, so inventory is very short now. Plus 'COVID' scared, AND another critical election year too !
I do hope you also wind up with a Colt 45 someday, maybe even a SS Colt Commander size !
:cool:
There is just something special about the history of the Pony, the name Colt, their reputation, and the fact that it has defended America for so many years and in the hands of so many true heroes ! You won't ever regret owning one (even if your Springfield spends more time at the range...)

IMG_0526.JPG

DE1911

Fanatic
Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911. 5", 4",3" I have all 3, can't do better!!! Any size will be way below your price point.

jrthe1

Fanatic
Thanks all and especially joepistol and Buck Buck for your thoughtful comments. MM that Desrt Eagle 1911G looks real good right out of the box as well. One just sold used in mint condition on gunbroker.com for about $700.
Update: My Springfield RO Elite Target came in last Thursday. I rushed down to the store to pick it up but my background check went in to slow mo. Status=Delayed. They have 5 business days to approve or deny so with Memorial Day I will be kept hanging until this Friday. With previous approval on 4 hand guns, an AR15, a pump action 12 gauge, and a concealed carry permit I don't thing I will be denied.
Update to follow.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone but me have an STI single stack Trogan? I never see them mentioned here we have several shooters here with them all have been 100%
& FROM THE BOX and in the $$$ range used, just not as highly finished and lifetime warranty as accurate an any I have. Over 10+ years with it and still love it.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't believe STI is still making their single stack 1911's..they're now focusing on their 2011 models.
I have an early-(ier) model. entry level STI 1911, (made from an Armscor frame & slide) forget the model name,
(It's called the Spartan- had to look it up;) I do that they stopped selling that model, after the STI name became more established in the marketplace.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
No my Trogen is no longer made but they are out there and shoot great I have shot 4 of them all just about the same. was just a though here actually I have probably shot mine more than the Wilson, I like the no frills finish and look on it.

jrthe1

Fanatic
Picked it up yesterday. Feels real good in the hand. Gun is real tight. Nice trigger. Love that it doesn't have the white "Elite" logo on the slide. Sunday is gun day. Off to the range Sunday morning. More to follow.

Attachments

• RO Elite-2.jpg
    RO Elite-2.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RO Elite2-2.jpg
    RO Elite2-2.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 8

jrthe1

Fanatic
Hairtrigger: When I was doing my research it seemed to me that many differences between 1911'S could be explained by differences in design, materials used, creature comforts, cosmetics, history, etc. and these things were pointed out in spec sheets and marketing info. I couldn't hold, shoot, and pull every trigger of every 1911 out there under $1000 to make a decision so I reached out for comments. I'm the kind of guy that , other than changing grips, sights, and maybe a recoil spring, rarely makes many internal mods to my guns including trigger jobs.

Hairtrigger

Fanatic
Ok. That makes sense , kinda. If you find a 1911 that you really like, a trigger job from a gunsmith is not that expensive
Also, I have several Springfield Champions and found they have decent triggers not great but for an affordable gun Springfield is worth looking at.
My real thought is to find a used DW , usually can find them under the thousand price with a little patience

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Have never shot a 1911 right out of box you can't live with trigger wise, worst 1911 better than most striker fired, can be made better yes but fine as they are and I've shot a bunch, RIA, Springfield, Remington, Kimber, Colt, STI, Metro Arms, Tisas, Desert Eagle/Bul Armory, Sig, even 350 buck ATI, one if worst triggers I've ever felt in a 1911 was Les Baer but still decent trigger, you start spending lot over 1000 it's fit and finish that starts gettin better, I've always wanted a Wilson Combat CQB but I absolutely know it's not gonna shoot 3000 dollars better than my Desert Eagle or any others I have

Latest posts