lax ammo not reliable

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used LAX ammo on and off for years. When they have a sale or free shipping , I bought new( not reman) 9mm and 45 acp.in the past year, I have had many,many light strikes with their 9mm ammo so I do not buy that any more.

this past week, I shot some of the 185 gr(new) 45 acp. many rounds jammed the guns shut requiring careful maneuvering of the slide to get the rounds out. it happened with a CZ 1911 and a DW Bruin to be specific. Until that happened, all was well with my order.

just putting out a warning that the quality control @LAX is not what it used to be.

I for one am done with them.name brands like federal, blazer, S-B,magtech from now on. heck my WC reloads have been trouble free. these lax round---NOT

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up. I was checking out their stuff just yesterday. Have ordered name brand stuff from them before.

Speaking of "smaller brands" I used to shoot A LOT of Freedom Munitions, but these days they are often out of whatever I want, and name brands seem to be 3-4 cents under them now for comparably spec'd ammo. Not sure if Freedom being in Chapter 11 is driving this or not, but as someone who used to buy about 10k rds a year from them I don't think it bodes well.

Razer

Active Fanatic
I've used them off and on over the years and never had an issue. That's too bad that their QC is slipping, did you reach out to them?

RStone

Well-Known Fanatic
The gun not going into battery may be due to an improper crimp (not enough), the cartridge's COAL is too long or the case may have been sized improperly. While you didn't say if the issue occurred with HP or FMJ, 185gr HP can be tricky in some guns. Contacting LAX Ammo could get you some replacement ammunition.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up. I was checking out their stuff just yesterday. Have ordered name brand stuff from them before.

Speaking of "smaller brands" I used to shoot A LOT of Freedom Munitions, but these days they are often out of whatever I want, and name brands seem to be 3-4 cents under them now for comparably spec'd ammo. Not sure if Freedom being in Chapter 11 is driving this or not, but as someone who used to buy about 10k rds a year from them I don't think it bodes well.
LAX seems to be more hit and miss withtheir ammunition these days. too bad, they were my goto for years . I guess QC is lacking at various levels. CS offered to give me a credit inthe past but the cost of shipping back to them made it not worth the time or effort

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
The gun not going into battery may be due to an improper crimp (not enough), the cartridge's COAL is too long or the case may have been sized improperly. While you didn't say if the issue occurred with HP or FMJ, 185gr HP can be tricky in some guns. Contacting LAX Ammo could get you some replacement ammunition.
I used fmj on the range. it is odd. some rounds fire perfectly then--wham the slid eis jammed shut. I am just going to find a gun that likes this stuff and shoot it until it is gone. I now KNOW DW and CZs do not eat all or fire all brands. other guns like sig, WC and NHC will..for now

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up. I receive an email from LAX every day with "deals"

Last year I ran 2k of Blazer Brass 9mm and 2k of S&B 9mm from Target Sports USA. They all were very consistent and I had zero issues. I just got a case of Federal American Eagle from Target Sports because they were out of S&B. That was a mistake. It's all cycling but it is all over the place for vilocity. Accuracy out to 15yrds is ok though.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up. I receive an email from LAX every day with "deals"

Last year I ran 2k of Blazer Brass 9mm and 2k of S&B 9mm from Target Sports USA. They all were very consistent and I had zero issues. I just got a case of Federal American Eagle from Target Sports because they were out of S&B. That was a mistake. It's all cycling but it is all over the place for vilocity. Accuracy out to 15yrds is ok though.
I understand that sometimes QC goes out the window momentarily. but 9mm and then 45 acp having issues. diffferent batches, different months of ordering. I cannot do this. costs too much in time and $$
I have had a few issues with winchester white box. not enough to justw allk( their 185 gr fmj is good stuff so far)

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have ordered Brand name from them in the past, but last month ordered their brand (New) 1000 rounds of 165 Grain JHP, and 500 rounds of 380 100 grain FMJ. The 380 is flat nose, I'll hold off till I shoot some.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
the ammo did fire ok through a WC a NHC and a les baer.. but not through my dw and cz 1911s. usually they all eat any kind of ammo.

I do not trust them any more. hope the rest of you with their ammo have better luck

Koda

Fanatic
I had problems a few years ago with LAX and Freedom reloads, stopped buying all reloaded ammo. It made no sense when new ammo was the same cost.
Even with a commercial reloader, theres actually quite a bit of risk using them depending on how many times a case has been reloaded. Its not worth it.

David D

Active Fanatic
Target Sports USA has been my go to and I never took the time to dig into velocity consistency as my accuracy was always acceptable to me on SB, Fiocchi, Blazer, Remington, and Federal. The only issue I ran into that bothered me with Federal was ten primers in a case (1000) that failed to ignite. I guess that's not a ridiculous percentage but I've never encountered that and I've been through 25-30,000 with TSUSA over the years. I used Ammo Valley and LAX early on but stopped once I discovered TSUSA would cost the same or less on 9mm/45 acp and I never had to pay for shipping on any quantity (I pay 95 annually for prime).

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Target Sports USA has been my go to and I never took the time to dig into velocity consistency as my accuracy was always acceptable to me on SB, Fiocchi, Blazer, Remington, and Federal. The only issue I ran into that bothered me with Federal was ten primers in a case (1000) that failed to ignite. I guess that's not a ridiculous percentage but I've never encountered that and I've been through 25-30,000 with TSUSA over the years. I used Ammo Valley and LAX early on but stopped once I discovered TSUSA would cost the same or less on 9mm/45 acp and I never had to pay for shipping on any quantity (I pay 95 annually for prime).
i use TSUSA and will continue as a prime member (8% discount) unless the Nazi state enacts the 50% ammo tax the moron governor wants. Then I am only buying out of state

TxTrail80

New Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up,
I have shot 5k of their 9mm remanafacturedwithout a problem. It was the same batch from 3 years ago.
Going with targets sports new supply.

David D

Active Fanatic
i use TSUSA and will continue as a prime member (8% discount) unless the Nazi state enacts the 50% ammo tax the moron governor wants. Then I am only buying out of state

Wonder what TS will do if it passes? They must deal in ridiculous volume, I would think they would move the business. Hope for your sake they don't. Most orders get to me in Indiana within three working days. The longest I have had to wait is 5. Locally, one of the chain stores (named Shoot Point Blank) will run a sale on SB for .20 a round...I reluctantly tell all the regulars I run into about TS, especially when I see them buying from the store and SB goes for almost .05 cheaper per round at TS.

Latest posts