If you were buying your first 1911

HRColey

Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?

Since about 1980 I have been carrying a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP. Custom sights, custom grips, ambidextrous safeties, beaver tail grip safety, heavy duty recoil spring and mainspring. I also install arched mainspring housings on all my 1911s. I carry the commander, a custom Browning High Power, or a S&W 442 depending on where I'm going or how I'm dressed. If I was limited to one handgun I'd pick my Series 70 Gold Cup with a .22 LR conversion kit.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I am living in a low $1000's budget realm. Not ready for a Ferrari, but would like a nicely equipped Corvette.

I'm leaning to .45 ACP. A couple that have caught my eye that I am rather interested in at the local shop include:

DW Valor - stainless (used)
Colt Gold Cup '80 National Match (used)
Colt Commander 100 years of service (used)
Sig Sauer Model 1911 Sig Sauer (used)
Springfield Armory Model 1911-A1 (used)
Springfield Range Officer (used)
Desert Eagles are incredibly nice 1911's, 750 or less, my 9mm my go to IDPA pistol, I have several Kimbers, Custom 2's and the TLE 2's and they have been great as well, all probably less than 800

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I would buy a high end semi custom (your dream gun) first time out. Like most of us, I started out buying mid range (approx. $1,000.00) 1911s. At some point I found myself with 12 to 15 mid range 1911s. I was fortunate enough to trade into some pretty nice used Semi customs with the inventory I collected. But I think I wasted a lot of time & $. In hind sight, I wish I would have purchased my dream gun first. JMHO.
We learn what our dream gun is by trying these out a long the way . We learn what we like , and what we don't want , like FCS .

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
If all mine were gone , and I had to start over , I'd look for a good used 5 inch Wilson , GunCrafter , or Night Hawk in 9mm . But , who's stopping at one ? Variety of calibers is the spice of life .

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
I basically jumped in with both feet. I started off with a Bill Wilson Carry model from Wilson Combat, my father still owns that gun. I then transitioned over the following couple of years to full custom pistols. Go big, or go home.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?
Based on the posts above I'm going to say this would be a great first 1911.

shameless plug ;)

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
If I were buying my fist 1911 without the intent of build on it or tinkering it would be a Springfield TRP.

Last edited:

6SpeedBowtie

Fanatic
Based on the posts above I'm going to say this would be a great first 1911.

shameless plug ;)

That is a fine example & would love to go with it, but it's out of my budget right now. GLWS!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
knowing what I know now;;

a les baer P II or custom carry, then another, then another...

then a wc then a nhc and when the custom itch hit--a deep river custom with that awesome cone barrel

Monadh

Well-Known Fanatic
The Springfield Mil Spec has already been mentioned. I have two. That is the perfect starting point, and the pistol lends itself to modification and customization on down the road.

flxpp8Hh.jpg

qGddh1ah.jpg

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Soo many quality 1911s out there.But there's something special about the feel of a Wilson Combat.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Ive always thought Brown had the best feeling models, those are great as well.

Too many darn choices......

nod

Active Fanatic
I was satisfied with a Baer as well,..........for about a year

I know the deal! A few years later bought a Ed Brown. Then three Wilsons followed by a Nighthawk. A few years later I sold the Brown, Nighthawk and two Wilsons. Bought another Wilson and another LB. The Premier II is still kicking right along. That being said, if I had the big bucks and was buying one 1911 it would be a Wilson.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a full size Springfield I carried on duty, then for my retirement my association gave me the money to buy a new .45. I choose the S&W round butt PC 1911 from the custom shop. I love shooting it, and get a thrill just looking at it. Very good shooter with beautiful trigger right out of the box.

gunnutvet52

Fanatic
I've had several .45's over the years and have traded or sold most of them. Now in my mid 60's I'm looking for one that I can shoot regularly and not worry about re-sale or collectible value. So, I've decided to buy a new Inland Mfg 1911A1. The reviews are great, well under a $1,000, and manufactured to milspecs albeit a beveled mag well (which I like) and a Series 80 type transfer bar.

Latest posts