If you were buying your first 1911

Mr Z

New Fanatic
I bought a full size, 5" Ruger for $600. Stainless, beaver tail, Novak sights, series 70, beveled mag well, etc. Learned all about the 1911 from it. Manipulation, take down and such. Then bought a used Ed Brown. Kept Ruger for back up.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had several .45's over the years and have traded or sold most of them. Now in my mid 60's I'm looking for one that I can shoot regularly and not worry about re-sale or collectible value. So, I've decided to buy a new Inland Mfg 1911A1. The reviews are great, well under a $1,000, and manufactured to milspecs albeit a beveled mag well (which I like) and a Series 80 type transfer bar.
[/
I bought a full size, 5" Ruger for $600. Stainless, beaver tail, Novak sights, series 70, beveled mag well, etc. Learned all about the 1911 from it. Manipulation, take down and such. Then bought a used Ed Brown. Kept Ruger for back up.
we are in rich times for sub 1000 dollar 1911's for sure, really sub 800 and I certainly like the used route, and I'm talking about 1911's that work. Knowing what I know now my first would be a used Wilson Combat, looking at 4 CQB's right now that are in excellent condition and way less than new

WaddellAZ

Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?
I went with a Kimber Custom II 9mm and enjoy it. If I could do it over again I would definitely go for RIA GI std .45acp full size, then I would go for an commander length 9mm after.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
No reason to move "up".

Tighter, Novaks, FLGRs, glowing sights and checkering isn't up.That's spending more, not moving up.

At the leagues, all the failures are vault-tight Les Baers, Wilsons and Kimbers.

I would start with a RIA, unless I wanted better sights, then I'd get a SA milspec. I sold the only SA Loaded (and the Micro, smaller 1911s have a smaller operation envelope, and unless the ammo changes, they can't, therefore, be as reliable as government sized) I bought, and won't repeat either of those mistakes.

Beyond the basics, particularly for a new 1911 owner, the money is far, far better spent on ammo and sent downrange.

When I moved "up", I took a class from Bob Rodgers and built a 1911. I learned a lot about what really matters in how a 1911 runs, and what is marketing.

Fishing lures aren't built to catch fish. They're built to catch fishermen. Many "high end" 1911s are crammed full of fishing lures, and to hear folks tell it, you can't possibly hit the target without them.

The only other suggestion I would make is I don't believe I would recommend buying used to someone who has never owned a 1911 before. There are new RIA milspecs for $420 out there.

As I write this, this one is on Gunbroker, incorrectly identified as a 1911A1: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808924565

Good luck!

P.S. oh, yeah, I'd suggest a series 70, not a series 80. I've never met a series 80 that I liked. And if you actually intend to clean your 1911, you'll appreciate the series 70.

Last edited:

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I may be a fisherman caught by a lure but if I had to start over and save money and time (and lived in a free state) this is what I'd get...https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/chambers-custom-45-wmg-tlr-carbon.67539/

Last edited:

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd never tell a man he shouldn't use his favorite fishing lures! :cool:

For all I know, he's a better fisherman than I am. :D

I just don't care for most of them, and I wouldn't suggest them for a new fisherman. At least until they decide what kind of fishing lure they absolutely have to have to live another day.

If you looked around my house, you'd see all kinds of fishing lures in every facet of life, from the dog's toys to Damascus knives. I'm a stone cold sucker for Damascus blades that can actually hold an edge, and there was never a more brilliant, shiny fishing lure invented than Damascus steel blades.

Well, unless it was brass polishing technology. Everyone knows that shiny reloads are more accurate, and I've polished brass in everything from a concrete mixer to wet tumbling to vibratory tumblers.

Don't even get me started on Dillon reloading equipment. You can't buy those fishing lures until you finish the Koolaid.

Last edited:

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
As the title says, if you were starting from scratch buying your first 1911, what would you go with?

After owning many production guns, and having a ridiculous failure rate, I would go with Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Ed Brown or Les Baer. I could have had one of each for all the money spent trying to make production guns work.

johnk568

Fanatic
Depends on a lot of factors. First- budget, 2nd-use. I have/had owned a lot of 1911's. From Colt to RIA, all sizes 3" to 5", all colors, Black, blue, FDE, OD Green. My choice would be a Colt 5" blue. My first was a Springfield Mil-Spec, and still have it. My favorite is the one I had rebuilt, first mfgd in 1918, completely rebuilt and carbona blued.

Tactically speaking, 5", black, rail, night sites(This is my RIA)

Garrett Opolko

Fanatic
I am living in a low $1000's budget realm. Not ready for a Ferrari, but would like a nicely equipped Corvette.

I'm leaning to .45 ACP. A couple that have caught my eye that I am rather interested in at the local shop include:

DW Valor - stainless (used)
Colt Gold Cup '80 National Match (used)
Colt Commander 100 years of service (used)
Sig Sauer Model 1911 Sig Sauer (used)
Springfield Armory Model 1911-A1 (used)
Springfield Range Officer (used)
Nice list of 1911's. I bought a DW Guardian last year for my birthday and love it. I looked at the Colt and the Sig Sauer line but bought the DW.

Geno58

Fanatic
Knowing what I know now, it be a Dan Wesson Valor 45.
I used to go the route of buying stock and adding upgrades a little at a time. If I was starting all over again , I would just buy it and be done with it, and shoot it.

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
The limited factor is always money.

1K buys a great 1911 these days. If you want new I would vote for the new Colt competition models. .45 or 9mm and series 70 firing pins.

I have owned and shot more 1911's than I can even remember and continue to feel the Colt is a great way to get into the 1911 world.

1K+ these days buys a fantastic pistol. Yes a lemon can roll out of anyone's door but if you pick a reputable manufacturer they will make it right.

Stretch a bit and find a used Dan Wesson. These are what I am buying now. No MIM, great triggers and nicely finished. Find a dealer and pick up a "blemish" at a great price. And you will really have a hard time finding just what the blemish may be.

They have an A2 series which is as much as I hate to say it is a better finish than the current Colts I love so much.

Dan Wesson lovers will say that the DW's are just as good as a Wilson or Baer. I am not going down that rat hole. But they are excellent pistols that will serve a new 1911 shooter quite well.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I said this in my last reply but the used market if you know what to look for is such a good way to go, it's incredible how much the value of say a Wilson Combat drops, they are worse than cars or furniture, the ones I'm looking at range from 2100-2300, several have more than 2 mags and Wilson Combat 9mm mags ain't cheap, one has 5 another 7. I've bought the totally tricked out RIA's for 425 used, the G10 grips, magwell, fiber optic sights and it shoots great, didn't need it but it's a functional tricked out 1911 for 425, I'm weak, very weak. Same money as the GI model with the cheap wood grips.

xusmico

Active Fanatic
Colt are reasonable now. Quality never quits. You could go all out and get a mid line Wilson Combat. either way, SHOOT it!!!! Nothing has more character than a quality gun that is USED and appreciated. A safe queen is only good for your great grand kids to sell. I can rub some wrong, but unless you get a top shelf custom Kimber full size, DO NOT get a stock Kimber 1911. you well spend more money sending it back to the custom shop to get it to work than its worth. I been the RO and armorer for a long time and when it comes to duty/fighting guns in 1911, Colt and WC never fail. stock Kimbers, SA and SW ALWAYS have problems.
Save up and invest well. I have 3 Colts, 1 WC Vickers, 1 HK Compact. all of these have been used in gunfights, WC hasn't seen the elephant yet but is now my carry/duty gun

Attachments

• Colt 1986.JPG
    Colt 1986.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 018ec9d1fb9e5a22e4e5ef7e1be0daf5bbb437dd4e.jpg
    018ec9d1fb9e5a22e4e5ef7e1be0daf5bbb437dd4e.jpg
    926.7 KB · Views: 11
  • guns.jpg
    guns.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 10

Grouchy

Fanatic
6SB, Your question is difficult to answer without more information, because cost isn't specified, nor is caliber or size or the precision of manufacture (the fit). Nor is use – range, competition, defensive carry. Is your budget below $600, between $600 and $1000, or above $1000? Unless you find a used high-end 1911 at a reasonable price (which is as yet undefined), you will probably buy new.

Personal experience: I preferred to spend under $1000 and enjoy different calibers and sizes (government, commander, CCO). I have owned mostly government models in 45 ACP by Rock Island, Ruger, Magnum Research (best stock trigger), Colt, Smith & Wesson 'E' (good stock trigger), Springfield (RO and MilSpec), and a CMP Remington Rand and don't regret buying any of them. None of those 1911s have ever failed in competition either. All were/are stock except for spring changes. I've not used ATI or similar sub-$600 imports but recall when the Rock entered the market at $167 and now it's $400+ and quality has been improved.

To add calibers (9mm and 38 Super) and frame sizes for variety and carry, I sold some government models - the two Springfields and a Colt departed with no remorse, the three Rocks and a Smith "E" with reluctance. Those Rocks were great shooters with decent triggers and acceptable accuracy.

Price escalation has now bumped me toward the range $1000 to $1300, and I'd consider a Dan Wesson for range and competition, having heard much good reviews about them. For carry, where I might be separated from what was used defensively, that's Ruger LW Commanders. They are relatively inexpensive to replace and I wouldn't be broken up if they were damaged through use, or neglect during an extended stay in a property room.
I recommend that you buy whatever catches your fancy, and be prepared to buy more, sell some, and trade around in attempt to find that 'perfect' 1911. Most or at least many of us don't stop that behavior until the lid of the coffin closes and then I'd like to be buried with a couple. YMMV. When you make your buy, post back to this thread and share that choice with the community. Best wishes!

Check out:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Colt are reasonable now. Quality never quits. You could go all out and get a mid line Wilson Combat. either way, SHOOT it!!!! Nothing has more character than a quality gun that is USED and appreciated. A safe queen is only good for your great grand kids to sell. I can rub some wrong, but unless you get a top shelf custom Kimber full size, DO NOT get a stock Kimber 1911. you well spend more money sending it back to the custom shop to get it to work than its worth. I been the RO and armorer for a long time and when it comes to duty/fighting guns in 1911, Colt and WC never fail. stock Kimbers, SA and SW ALWAYS have problems.
Save up and invest well. I have 3 Colts, 1 WC Vickers, 1 HK Compact. all of these have been used in gunfights, WC hasn't seen the elephant yet but is now my carry/duty gun
I don't get why some of you folks are constantly saying stock kimbers, now it includes S & W and Springfield, this is so untrue and a very reckless statement, I have 6 Kimbers and 2 Springfield's that run fine, did you forget to count mine and the thousands and thousands that are just fine. You realize if this was true they would all be out of business. A truly irresponsible statement!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't get why some of you folks are constantly saying stock kimbers, now it includes S & W and Springfield, this is so untrue and a very reckless statement, I have 6 Kimbers and 2 Springfield's that run fine, did you forget to count mine and the thousands and thousands that are just fine. You realize if this was true they would all be out of business. A truly irresponsible statement!
Sorry forgot to add are always unreliable, these kind of generalizations drive me nuts

Latest posts