How am I bending ejectors on Colt 9mm 1911s?

Hound

New Fanatic
I have the same pistol (Colt Combat Unit 9mm) and I had the same problem. I sent it back to the mothership, and many moons passed before I saw that gun again.... however, when it did return to me, it had a MUCH shorter ejector on it, which I have had no more issues with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here. Mine was less than a year old and covered under warranty. Not a quick process but it has run well since (500 or so rds). My ejector appears to have been filed down.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Colt snailed me a letter. Took two weeks as I expected to get it. At least they are fixing it free even though it is over a year old, which they seem to be very interested to know about these days. They want to see a receipt if you tell them it is under a year old. Mine was a year and one week. I didn't send the first owners receipt, which I have.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't see how that's possible; the "donut" on the .45 extractor would prevent getting the extractor claw close enough to the 9 mm case head to function.

carbon_45_extractor.jpg

9mm
stainless_9mm_extractor.jpg

I think you missed what whe was trying to convey. He was stating that since Colt is using Series 80 extractors in Series, 45 ACP pistols, they may be going the cheap route wuth the ejectors as well.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
The Colt Combat Unit arrived via FedEx at my door today unannounced by Colt's service department. No email. No tracking, just appeared awaiting a signature. Lol.

I have to say that the communications have been underwhelming, although they did repair it for free outside the "one year service agreement".

Ejector before (bent)
After repair. The work order says they replaced it, and the tip has been tuned. (fresh file marks). It is now much shorter. Haven't shot it yet. The original owner (a good friend) has already traded with me to get it back.

Last edited:

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Apparently Colt didn't realize there are not any drop in parts in a 1911 and didn't know to "tune" the ejector. ;)

dakota1911

Well-Known Fanatic
You have done all the fun things like put a mag with rounds in it in a field stripped frame slowly and look at space? Of course I don't play the run, jump, squat, etc to the beeping of a timer games with mine. More like 5 five shot groups at 15, 25, and 50 yards. Maybe 100 yards on a good day or with a 10mm. I have noticed Colt has that long ejector. Here on my 2017 GCNM MkIV Series 70 in 9mm Luger (9x19). Excuse the picture as I took it to show the green paint on the one spring you get which is in the pistol.

If I compare that to my 2015 SA Range Officer it is sort of interesting. Of course SA did not pin the ejectors on these. They did pin the front sight though.

The oldest Colt I have in 9mm I bought new in 2010. It is a Colt Defender in 9mm. I thought my wife might like it but she didn't. I have kept it as a range toy and it is fun to shoot. No problems with the ejector yet, but again I don't play the runny, jumpy, and slam the mag in as fast as you can shooty games with it.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
You have done all the fun things like put a mag with rounds in it in a field stripped frame slowly and look at space? Of course I don't play the run, jump, squat, etc to the beeping of a timer games with mine. More like 5 five shot groups at 15, 25, and 50 yards. Maybe 100 yards on a good day or with a 10mm. I have noticed Colt has that long ejector. Here on my 2017 GCNM MkIV Series 70 in 9mm Luger (9x19). Excuse the picture as I took it to show the green paint on the one spring you get which is in the pistol.

If I compare that to my 2015 SA Range Officer it is sort of interesting. Of course SA did not pin the ejectors on these. They did pin the front sight though.

The oldest Colt I have in 9mm I bought new in 2010. It is a Colt Defender in 9mm. I thought my wife might like it but she didn't. I have kept it as a range toy and it is fun to shoot. No problems with the ejector yet, but again I don't play the runny, jumpy, and slam the mag in as fast as you can shooty games with it.

Thanks for posting those pics.

As for the questions about space, why yes I have. Wilson ETM's stand "taller" than most all other mags and actually contact the long dangly Colt ejector. That's where my problems started.

After I bent the first ejector in a Colt Competition I spent some time at the large gun store up the road from me, and we looked at 9mm ejectors in at least four manufacturers of 1911's in 9mm. Colt was by far the longest.

As for the games I play with them, they are very likely the best way to find out how your guns gear, ammo, and you will perform in a defense scenario. Plus it's the most fun I can have with my pants on.

And even if one didn't own them for that purpose, one would have to wonder why a Colt Competition or a Colt Combat Unit had such a low survivability rate just playing at the range.

And I shoot them at 100 yards steel at the range before I leave, every time. ;)

Last edited:

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad it got fixed. Bummed that your friend agreed to trade back into it with you. I want it now that it's fixed. Hard to get a hold of here in Komifornia. Glad my series 80 9mm (that I paid for the rollmark, yay for our state) is going to the spa as soon as possible.
Edit to add a pic that shows mine has the same issue. Only 2 mags through it.4290

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad it got fixed. Bummed that your friend agreed to trade back into it with you. I want it now that it's fixed. Hard to get a hold of here in Komifornia. Glad my series 80 9mm (that I paid for the rollmark, yay for our state) is going to the spa as soon as possible.
Edit to add a pic that shows mine has the same issue. Only 2 mags through it.View attachment 4290
Ugh. I hate that. Which mags were you running?

gaijin

Active Fanatic
Easy fix?

I whacked the end of mine off with a Dremel cut off wheel and chamfered the edges. I detest sending a gun out for repair unless an absolute necessity.
Just be cautious- I think I taped up the frame under ejector as a "fail safe", but had no problems.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
The colts it came with.
I've been blaming Wilson ETMs because they stand physically taller than the Metalforms I run now, and contact the ejector, which is how I think/thought I bent the ejector in a Colt Competiton, but I am pretty sure I bent the second Colt 9mm ejector in a Colt Combat Unit with the Metalforms.

Latest posts