Help fieldgrade spec a Wilson

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
If I don't see an in-stock or used full sized WC like I want in the next week or so I'm ordering one before the Shot Show rush. That is, if I don't lose my nerve.

I've not owned anything nicer than a Dan Wesson Valor to date. Here's what I'm after.
-Fullsized CQB, or CQB Elite
-Black Armor Tuff
-magwell if it's just a CQB
-countersunk slide stop pin (because I've stopped a 1911 cold during a match while reloading when my booger picker got on that pin. I thought I had broken the gun)
-Wilson fiber front and battle sight rear
-Starburst grips
-flush cut, reverse crown

This will be a match blaster, so probably no other frills.
What am I forgetting?

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Trigger length?
I'd suggest a round butt magwell
I think the CQB and CQB Elite come with a long trigger which is my preference. They don't list it on their site but they show the three hole triggers which I'm pretty sure are the long.

The only reason I probably won't get the round butt is I am so accustomed to S&A magwells where the "backstrap" of the MSH extends to the bottom of the well. It's just what I am used to and have put them on the handful of 1911's I have owned.
smith-alexander-mag-guide-full-size-blue-3.jpg

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
The three hole triggers come in all three lengths and I believe the default is medium. If you are getting the counter sunk slide stop pin, I would suggest also flattening it. I also prefer the round butt mag well over any other but I did read that you prefer the other. Except my EDC X9, they are all naked slides and I very much prefer the naked slide look.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Caliber?
FCS delete?
Naked slide?
.45acp

Good question on the cocking serrations and slide markings. I used to not like the look of front cocking serrations until I bought a Fusion that had them so they grew on me. I appreciate naked slide 1911's (or nearly naked like a blued Valor I just sold), but am also sort of fond of the CQB/Elite as it comes standard. Will have to think about those.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
The three hole triggers come in all three lengths and I believe the default is medium.
That is something I will want to confirm when I order since they don't list trigger length in the specs on the CQB/Elites

On their parts and accessories page at shopwilson.com they list long triggers as "standard", where short and medium pad triggers aren't designated as such.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Triggers/products/97/

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like your dream gun! Make her yours, brother!!
Honestly, I always said that at this price point and above I would only want a blued gun. But I was afraid I wouldn't holster and shoot a blued gun. Since this one is intended to be holstered and shot a lot, I was finally able to handle and shoot an ArmorTuff finished CQB last week and didn't realize how good the AT finish looks and feels "in person".

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
There's 3 CQBs for sale over at addicts priced right and wouldn't take much to be exactly what you want . Addicted2gunz has one on this site .

1. FOR SALE Wilson Combat CQB 45acp grey/black
    Addicted2Gunz, Yesterday at 10:22 PM, 1911's For Sale
Thanks. Yep, have seen those. Two of them have the older thumb safeties that I'm just not a fan of. As a thumb safety rider, it's important to me. There's just enough that I would have to do to those to suit me that I think I will hold out.

Last edited:

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
my fav orders starte d out likethis

fullsized CQB

round butt blende dmag well

hand fit barrel--standard or bull

wide cocking serrations rear only no fcs.

carry cuts

flush cut and reverse crown barrel

flush cut slide stop

heavy machine camfer bottom of slide

gold bead fromt sight

enjoy the toy

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
my fav orders starte d out likethis

fullsized CQB

round butt blende dmag well

hand fit barrel--standard or bull

wide cocking serrations rear only no fcs.

carry cuts

flush cut and reverse crown barrel

flush cut slide stop

heavy machine camfer bottom of slide

gold bead fromt sight

enjoy the toy
My list of preferred options was changing every 24-36 hours depending on the angle of the sun, the barometric pressure, and what ya'll had posted pictures of here that day.

I knew if I ordered one that one would pop up either in stock at Wilson or somewhere else that I wanted right then.
I think the word they taught us in business school was "cognitive dissonance".

I'm planning on beating on this one like a hammer in IDPA anyway, so I figured barebones with a magwell would be everything I need and nothing I don't. Countersunk slidestop is the only thing I would have preferred, but having stopped a 1911 cold in its tracks once because of pressing on the end of that pin right before a reload has broken me of that hopefully.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome thought process........and yes, that business school term does ring a bell or two. :cool:

aaronsappl

Fanatic
Glad you found what you wanted. What caliber did you get. I just started shooting IDPA this year, and I am shooting a WC 9mm in ESP. All my Wilson's had gold bead and I really like them. I swapped my IDPA gun to there competition front fiber optic last month and I really love it.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad you found what you wanted. What caliber did you get. I just started shooting IDPA this year, and I am shooting a WC 9mm in ESP. All my Wilson's had gold bead and I really like them. I swapped my IDPA gun to there competition front fiber optic last month and I really love it.
.45acp

I shoot a Fusion 1911 9mm in ESP, and currently a Springer in CDP with a Colt as back-up for sanctioned matches. I'll run the WC in CDP now. I looked at their competition front fiber sight. Does that hook for that aperture ever snag?
367CFOG_T.jpg

If I change the standard WC front fiber sight that mine will come with I'll put in a Dawson.