Gunsmiths

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't want to become a gunsmith but I do want to learn more about fixing and changing the inner workings of a handgun...

contact Joe chambers. he runs a class . you learn as you build. you get knowledge and one heck of a great 1911
I don't want to become a gunsmith but I do want to learn more about fixing and changing the inner workings of a handgun...

I would like to do both. learn all about our favorite toy and how to work on it myself. not a pro just a fanatic

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Barb one place I have found helpful is U-tube videos some better than others.
With that said I would recommend learning how a rifle or pistol works. A 1911
is different than a Colt Python as is a Remington 700 different than an M1A rifle.
I have found it very helpful understanding how each platform works weather it
be for repair of modifications.
The biggest obstacle is confidence in yourself. You must believe you can succeed in the
task or uncertainty will defeat you every time. I commend you for wanting to work on
your own guns just become very proficient before you ever work on someone else's gun.

I have worked on my own guns since the early 70s & in the 80s I built National Match
M1As for our Clubs Rifle team. As an RSO I carry my Armorers tools & some common repair parts. I will only work on Firearms that & have been trained on or have owned & repaired
with an understanding of how they work.

Working on your own firearms takes ownership & use of guns up a notch & makes the
hobby a lot more enjoyable. Best of Luck on your new quest. :)
If you are looking for YouTube vids check out Mosin Virus. He may be at the tops of the YouTube smiths with a file.

Barb

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you guys. I have been registered "addicts" for a while but haven't been there much. I have used You Tube and will go there this evening..

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
Barb,

Not sure how in depth you want to get with your learning but you can always check out my site www.1911university.com for more info on 1911 build classes that we offer here at my shop, Chambers Custom. Also, if you have any questions you can feel free to PM me here or send an email to [email protected] and I'll do my best to help you if I can.
Two words: Instructional videos.

Latest posts