Gun range preference-Indoor or Outdoor

rugerron

Well-Known Fanatic
Both - but it depends on what you're used to. In Orange County, Stanton, CA there is a really nice indoor range, FT3. 2 sides, 14 lanes each, with very nice programmable range target retrieval and 5, 7, 10, 15 presets, out to 25 yards. All guns inc. shotgun & rifles (limit @ Muzzle Energy under 4000 Ft Lbs) Most ranges in Orange County are only handguns.

Have visited Ben Avery in AZ which is big & busy. But really enjoyed 2 other outdoor ranges I've been to. Jim Jones in Payson AZ, with a member friend who lives there. 2nd one was near Eugene, OR (in Springfield). EMERALD EMPIRE GUN CLUB. Private land, set up for shooters. One public covered area w 40 lanes, varied Leanne lengths, out to 100 yds. Then 3 or 4 member only ranges, one for pistol / rifle, one for trap & skeet, and a special club group one. Members take good care of all!
Wonderful folks and beautiful view of pine trees everywhere! 800 miles from Anaheim to my daughter's lovely family! But it doesn't get much better, unless it was closer...Worth the trip on both accounts!
;-)
Emerald Empire Gun Club is where I shoot outdoors at. The indoor club that is close used to be called Baron's Den but is now called Northwest Arsenal. Hate the place.One of the creepy things there is the pushy gun sales people and every lane has bullet holes in the ceiling starting about 15 feet in front of the shooter and all the way to the targets. Plus, it is all lead free ammo only and expensive if you don't bring your own. I was going to go shoot outdoors this weekend till we got 6 inches of snow on Monday and now get 3 more last night.

jmac1911

Fanatic
Much prefer outdoor but shoot mostly indoor due to weather and time constraints. Indoor range 4 minute drive, outdoor range hour drive and normally have so many events scheduled I can't get on the range weekends.

Rogrrr

Fanatic
Skeet shooting? Man, if only I could figure out how to do that with my Rem 870 12ga, I would be in business!
Pull!! Bang..... miss....
Pull!! Bang..... miss....

I can "punch holes in paper" all day long, but yet, trying to hit a round piece of clay flying through the air? Uh.... I suck. :(
Just remember to lead the target about a gun length. The target travels about a gun length before the shot gets there. So no matter where you're shooting from, it travels that same distance. And at different angles, the gun length looks different. Going straight across (LOW 3 or high 5) you see the gun from the side. Going away (high 2 or low 6) the gun looks shorter but you're still leading that same distance.
HTH

Jeff Edwards

Fanatic
Out door is my choice. I love to shoot at steel dongs that make a noise when you hit it. I do not care for indoor ranges. That is just me.

Trooper343

Fanatic
Outdoor range. To me it doesn't matter how many exhaust fans you have, there is still lead dust in the air. Why else do most indoor ranges have a sticky tape floor mat at the exit?

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
There are 4 indoor ranges in my area. All within roughly the same drive time. I've tried them all. I settled in one and purchased a membership. This allows me unlimited range time and they allow you to shoot whatever you have, 10% discount on everything including weapons . They separate the pistol; shooters and the rifle shooters. Clean new ventilation system 5- 30 yards. Not very big but they have a RSO and he keeps the Yahoos under control. Non-members pay $10.00 per hr. so they don't hang too long. The other indoor ranges are dark, Dirty, and 2 you MUST shoot frangible ammo that you must buy there. I was at a local gun shop and one of the salesman told me about an outdoor range not too far away. Told me membership was super cheap and had 50-100 yard rifle ranges and 10=35 yard pistol range. I drove down there figuring I could get some long gun time in. I find the place and
1. Could not use the pistol range as they had police qualifications underway. OK that's fine.
I go to the rifle range and there were 2 guys there.
  1. I start a conversation and find out that on the rifle range you can only load and shoot 1 round at a time. That's crazy.
  2. I don't mind cleaning up after myself, police my brass, my targets and so on but you had to due complete clean up of the entire range like 2-3 times a month. The older members it seems don't have to clean up after themselves. The new guys are volunteered to clean up for them.
I left and haven't been back. I stick to my indoor range until I find another outdoor range....

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I used to go to indoor ranges....and if I'm shooting only handguns, I will go there again...

I love shooting rifles, and shotguns. Outdoor ranges are my preference.

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
wife wants to retire in the next 3 years....I have about 9 more to go....her son (my step-son) and his fiancee live in Richmond, VA. She's thinking we keep an apt up here in CT and find a place down there so she can be near the kids. I talked to my step-son and he said we could get a really nice sized piece of property and house for waaaaaay cheaper than anything up here in the Northeast.....Soooooo...i'm now jonesing for my own private outdoor range!!

1911Junky

Active Fanatic
Always outdoor for me!

Hj0TOSc.png

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's an indoor range idea from my apartment. A CO2, Airsoft/BB gun setup for cheap practice at 5 to 7 yards. Both of these guns have realistic feel, trigger pulls, and 1911 characteristics that you can use when you don't have time to go to your favorite range.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Unfortunately, the VTA pellet trap target system pictured is no longer available. Its braided curtain backstop handles either Airsoft pellets or .177 BBs with no problems. The Colt 1911 airsoft pistol will give you 60+ shots from a standard CO2 cartridge. The Swiss Arms Tactical Rail System, .177 CO2 pistol will give you about the same shots per cartridge. Both of mine have decent triggers and very reasonable accuracy. They also feature slide-activated recoil systems.

TRex29

Fanatic
Members only outdoor range 99% of the time. I'll go to an indoor range once in a great while but then after I always remember why I pay dues at my range...

Targetfan

Fanatic
Due to weather conditions in my area, outdoor ranges are usable less than 6 months a year, then I am member in an indoor range. The ventilation is 100% fresh air, and heated during winter. That allows me to attend almost every week.
I attend in morning week day and 70% of the time I am the only shooter in the range. Moulded ear plugs plus high end ear mufs keep the noise level comfortable.
I agree that the behaviour of some shooters is disturbing but the officials are stringent on security rules and most of my discomfort come from shooters using large calibres (.46 , .50) and shotguns.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Indoor range,have 1 just down the way from my house.Dont have an outdoor range very close.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I like outdoors simply because I can see better, and the club I belong to has places to sit and kibbutz . I spend some long days there when it's nice out. It's a very neat thing to find a place with like minded people.

Plus, I find the fact that there is a place to chat , a lot of guys offer you to try their new toy. Heck, I find sharing part of the fun.

skypilotjt

New Fanatic
I like outdoor better. We have a great range close in Homestead, "Homestead Training Center" https://shoothtc.com/ , usually rent a bay and practice IDPA, Steel. couple of us meet up and practice and small competition to keep things interesting.
This is also where I practice for my PRS competitions on the 500 yd range.
Pew Pew Pew

Latest posts