Gun range preference-Indoor or Outdoor

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Virtually impossible to find a range that allows for out of holster work. Desert shooting for me, but the Phoenix area has grown so much there isn't much land left that allows shooting.

Very true. The last place I can recall is the Peacemaker National Training Center in Glen Gary, WV where i was a volunteer RSO several years ago. You could draw and shoot on the tactical ranges (not public) if you passed the written and proficiency tests. The PNTC is the site of the World Shooting Championship and the National 3-gun Championship. It regularly hosts just about all of the rifle and pistol competitions that you can think of.

david_root2000

Fanatic
Summer OUTdoors
Winter INoors.

Cant shoot out doors when its zero and windy.

This is for practice and competition.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, Butch, you missed one. The Conservation Park near New Kent where I'm a member. It has 1700 acres, 12 Skeet fields, 6 Trap fields, Wobble trap, 5-stand, 2 dedicated covered pistol ranges (25 yds and 50 yds), a combination 50 yd range for pistol and rifle (mostly muzzle loaders), and a 100yd covered rifle range. It's open to members 7 days a week and we can bring guests. There's no charge for shooting on the rifle and pistol ranges. Hard to beat when the weather is decent. Just google up "The Conservation Park".
Thank you!! :)

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Skeet shooting? Man, if only I could figure out how to do that with my Rem 870 12ga, I would be in business!
Pull!! Bang..... miss....
Pull!! Bang..... miss....

I can "punch holes in paper" all day long, but yet, trying to hit a round piece of clay flying through the air? Uh.... I suck. :(

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
That's generally fairly easy to fix with a little instruction - and ,perhaps, some stock modifications. I coached a collegiate team and gave private lessons for several years.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Prefer outdoors , but I'm a member of indoor and outdoor ranges . Outdoor gives me the fun and flexibility of shooting steel on the move plus long range rifle . Still shoot Sat. mornings indoor with friends , make a day of it , lunch and gun store tour .

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I have plans to build both an outdoor and an indoor range at our next residence. Would like the indoor to allow for 7 to 10 yard shooting. Would like to have a 100 yard outdoor rifle range. It would be nice if I could somehow set up the place to be able to shoot from the indoor range 100 yards down range to an outdoor target. Only time will tell but that's what I would like

A few longer distance gongs (for some positive feed back) is always cool!

Razer

Active Fanatic
I always prefer outdoor ranges, but with the weather up here in the PNW indoor ranges are a necessary evil. The one I do belong to is 5 star rated by the NSSF and has fantastic ventilation, but nothing beats the sun on your face.

hendershot

Well-Known Fanatic
I definitely prefer shooting outdoors. Less rules and more fun. About the only time I'd rather shoot indoors is a heavy rain, otherwise I'm game for just about anything else to stay out there.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Virtually impossible to find a range that allows for out of holster work. Desert shooting for me, but the Phoenix area has grown so much there isn't much land left that allows shooting.
Hit me up sometime and I will drive you to the desert to the land of the free.

Captain Mike

Fanatic
Have a Lifetime Membership to an outdoor range about 10 miles from me. Indoor range is only 2 miles from work.....shoot there almost daily at lunch. They are good up to 30-06 indoors. I shoot all my rifles suppressed and some handguns.....just to convenient. Also having a real Gunsmith on staff that can build anything you want spoils me! https://www.nationalrangeandarmory.com/

Centuriator

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm very thankful I have the opportunity to shoot outside most of the time. I'm a member of a local gun club that has fantastic facilities, Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club, and I'm a member at Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Misosuri where I take a lot of training classes. I've shot at indoor ranges three or four times and absolutely hated it. They are too dark, and horribly noisy, even double plugging. If it is all you can do, it is what it is.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Both - but it depends on what you're used to. In Orange County, Stanton, CA there is a really nice indoor range, FT3. 2 sides, 14 lanes each, with very nice programmable range target retrieval and 5, 7, 10, 15 presets, out to 25 yards. All guns inc. shotgun & rifles (limit @ Muzzle Energy under 4000 Ft Lbs) Most ranges in Orange County are only handguns.

Have visited Ben Avery in AZ which is big & busy. But really enjoyed 2 other outdoor ranges I've been to. Jim Jones in Payson AZ, with a member friend who lives there. 2nd one was near Eugene, OR (in Springfield). EMERALD EMPIRE GUN CLUB. Private land, set up for shooters. One public covered area w 40 lanes, varied lane lengths, out to 100 yds. Then 3 or 4 member only ranges, one for pistol / rifle, one for trap & skeet, and a special club group one. Members take good care of all!
Wonderful folks and beautiful view of pine trees everywhere! 800 miles from Anaheim to my daughter's lovely family! But it doesn't get much better, unless it was closer...Worth the trip on both accounts!
;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts