From the Reloading Bench...

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
I owned 2 Stars years ago, had the auto shell advance add on, the brass feeder, can't remember the makers names but they ran pretty well.

The Stars are old school, all metal quality.

I bought mine for $250 each at the time and sold them later at a profit.

Actually like my Dillon 300's better, I've owned just about every reloader made in the hobbiest price range, and that's my opinion, but sure others would disagree.

Actually expected more out of the Stars and was a little underwhelmed actually?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine has the Hulme case feeder it works great just much slower than the Dillions 650's

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
That's the name! Hulme!
I had the auto advance thingy also, really went nuts trying to like the Star but never fell in love.
They are an all steel well built reloader but not as smooth as I thought they would be.

I think Mike Dillon got his start making a .223 conversion kit for the Star as he was into machine guns and needed a better progressive loader.

Came up with the Dillon RL-1000 for a commercial loader and the RL-300 for the Home Reloader and lost money on both...

I know he said he lost money on the 300 and went to a full casting (cheaper) for the 450.

Also revamped the 1000 to make it more profitable and the rest is History I guess!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the case feeder, indexer, ejector and a bullet feeder for mine 4-5 calibers and heads, inside house kept and looks like well used new! I knew Mike Dillion from Scottsdale Az and got the #2 223 Star conversion, Garland Police Dept got #1, He made a 7.62x51 conversion also never released for sale as they had to be sized on another press 1st, I had one of the 1st RL 1000 presses also. I wish I still had that one, with everything full running perfect I could load 50 38 spl in 3 minutes as they fell through the bottom faster (Star), that was a speed run just to time it. Now we load on 2 650 Dillions and my Star. Another company made a Star copy Phelps which many parts would exchange. I have a contact if anyone needs any parts they probably could help for Star parts.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Yes, I would love to get an RL-1000 in good working condition just to play with.

I have a Phelps Star Clone Lubsizer and it works as good as the Stars.

The Phelps is the one all the way to the left, note the square flat top on the "nut" that holds the lube feed bolt, instead of the stepped one on the Stars!

The Star 2nd from the right is VERY old and the base is actually welded or brazed together, works perfectly though.
jjjjjjjjjj.jpg

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an open question. Please don't make fun of me. I have been shooting for a lot of years but never got into reloading. Range ammunition was cheap and I had 4 son's to pay for. Anyway with the B.S. going on now I have been trying to get information on reloading. I have to say it is confusing for someone new. Can someone recommend a good guide to start and then a decent full set up. I know there are front line set up's out there but I'm on a budget (retirement is a ***** sometimes). I'm looking for somethibg decent and what the heck do I really need. I'm only looking to start out doing .45 ACP & 9MM. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys. Phil

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Buy a new or used RCBS Rock Chucker, new or used RCBS Uniflow powder measure with the small powder drum, some carbide dies (I like Hornady or RCBS) and .45ACP and 9mm shell holders. The only other should haves are a vernier calipers and a case gauge for both .45 and 9mm. Make sure the Rock Chucker has the primer arm and you may also need some primer tubes and a primer flip tray. Last, I would recommend the latest Lyman reloading manual. The rest is the components which may be your biggest obstacle. Bullets/primers/powder. There are dozens of youtube videos showing how to use and set up the equipment. Honestly, it's quite easy. One last thing, 45ACP brass can be had in both large and small primers. Make sure you sort the brass out that you dont want. To keep it simple, maybe sort out the .45ACP large primer brass and just keep both calibres small pistol primers.

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
You will have to decide on what type of bullet and bullet diameter and what powder you want to use. This is where the reloading manual comes into play. This will depend on whats available to you, which as I said, may be the biggest hurdle in your reloading plans.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Sorry, but your open question is an open can of worms.

A LOT of opinions on how to get started from a used single stage press to a full blown Dillon Progressive.

The advice to buy a USED single stage press and other used equipment is very valid.

Get a loading block and single stage reload in groups of 50.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go on utube and start watching vids, buy some used reloading books on Amazon and get educated.

Try to find a Mentor in your area, (Gun Club)...

Not hard to reload but takes some willingness to learn and to keep it safe!

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 2

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My new 750Xl on the left side of the bench, a Ponsness-Warren Metallic II to its right, and my Hollywoods on the right. My powder measures include 4-Quick-Measures, a Hollywood, and a unicorn Vega Tools B&M-clone.

Bench2020B.jpeg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My new 750Xl on the left side of the bench, a Ponsness-Warren Metallic II to its right, and my Hollywoods on the right. My powder measures include 4-Quick-Measures, a Hollywood, and a unicorn Vega Tools B&M-clone.

Bench2020B.jpeg
I have not heard of a Blending & Mull in many years

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The PW MII is fantastic for loading rifle!

Attachments

• vvv.jpg
    vvv.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 2

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone ever use Winchester 572 powder ? I was given some a while back , thought I'd try it out . I'm using it for 45 auto rim , 200 gr. LSWC . Winchester says 6.1 - 7.2 . I'm starting at 6.1 . Trying them out this Saturday .

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have not heard of a Blending & Mull in many years

There are lots of guys on the reloading forums who still have them. I also have a real B&M mounted on the bookshelves for nostalgia reasons.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
You will have to decide on what type of bullet and bullet diameter and what powder you want to use. This is where the reloading manual comes into play. This will depend on whats available to you, which as I said, may be the biggest hurdle in your reloading plans.
Thank You. I have printed up the information. Next stop You Tube. Thank You again.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Sorry, but your open question is an open can of worms.

A LOT of opinions on how to get started from a used single stage press to a full blown Dillon Progressive.

The advice to buy a USED single stage press and other used equipment is very valid.

Get a loading block and single stage reload in groups of 50.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go on utube and start watching vids, buy some used reloading books on Amazon and get educated.

Try to find a Mentor in your area, (Gun Club)...

Not hard to reload but takes some willingness to learn and to keep it safe!
Thank You. I printed up the information. Seems I should have started decades ago. Thanks again.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
!st thing to buy is a good reloading manual.. Lyman & Hornady are the best, IMO..
Lyman makes a separate Cast Bullet Manual if you're interested in shooting cast bullets.. Eventually you'll probably want that one too.
The manuals have an introduction section that is better (more descriptive) about detailing every step of the loading process. This is WHY a manual is a necessary 1st purchase. After reading that section..you'll better understand the tools & equipment needed. If you have & use a local library, you may find some books on handloading / reloading that will also help..but really 1 of the 2 manuals mentioned will provide the info you need.

I'm a prohressive press user, but learned on a single stage press & believe it's the SAFEST way to learn..as well as being the most economical .
Manual, press, dies, scale, caliper,powder dispenser, & components (brass , bullets, primers, & powder) add a bullet pulling hammer for correcting mistakes.. that's the minimum you need...providing press includes a way to seat primers.

biggest drawback getting started NOW is.. finding needed items.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
!st thing to buy is a good reloading manual.. Lyman & Hornady are the best, IMO..
Lyman makes a separate Cast Bullet Manual if you're interested in shooting cast bullets.. Eventually you'll probably want that one too.
The manuals have an introduction section that is better (more descriptive) about detailing every step of the loading process. This is WHY a manual is a necessary 1st purchase. After reading that section..you'll better understand the tools & equipment needed. If you have & use a local library, you may find some books on handloading / reloading that will also help..but really 1 of the 2 manuals mentioned will provide the info you need.

I'm a prohressive press user, but learned on a single stage press & believe it's the SAFEST way to learn..as well as being the most economical .
Manual, press, dies, scale, caliper,powder dispenser, & components (brass , bullets, primers, & powder) add a bullet pulling hammer for correcting mistakes.. that's the minimum you need...providing press includes a way to seat primers.

biggest drawback getting started NOW is.. finding needed items.
Thank You. Like I stated before I should have started decades ago. Could'a would'a, should,a . I am ordering the manuals today and then go from there. Thanks Again.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
forgot to add.. if you can keep your ttention focused, it's a great & rewarding hobby.
best wishes & good luck in getting started.

if you can find it, used equipment can be a real money saver..though demand now is high..it may be hard to find.
estate sales sometimes are a source.

Latest posts