From the Reloading Bench...

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
Relaxation therapy: It's Lee for me. I also have a Dillon that is and has been nothing but problematic, mostly primer related. The Lee, once set up properly, just runs and runs and runs. I would guess 50-60K rounds loaded on this particular machine and the only part I've had to replace is the chain that returns the powder charge die. .380acp, 9mm, .45acp and 10mm.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Relaxation therapy: It's Lee for me. I also have a Dillon that is and has been nothing but problematic, mostly primer related. The Lee, once set up properly, just runs and runs and runs. I would guess 50-60K rounds loaded on this particular machine and the only part I've had to replace is the chain that returns the powder charge die. .380acp, 9mm, .45acp and 10mm.

Not sure which Dillion model you have, but I would give them a call. They are extremely helpful with "no-charge" parts, and technical support. They have stayed on the phone several times helping me to work through a particular issue. I currently have three Dillion presses, a Lee Pro 1000, and a Lyman single stage.. Like a lot of folks, I started out with Lee. We all know when operating a progressive, it's in the feel. You immediately know when something is wrong. That goes for any progressive press. My Pro 1000 works fine, but hands down - Dillion manufacturer's a far superior product. And their technical support is the bomb! If you have a primer issue, call them and get it corrected. Best of luck!

Last edited:

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure which Dillion model you have, but I would give them a call. They are extremely helpful with "no-charge" parts, and technical support. They have stayed on the phone several time helping me to work through a particular issue. I currently have three Dillion presses, a Lee Pro 1000, and a Lyman single stage.. Like a lot of folks, I started out with Lee. We all know when operating a progressive, it's in the feel. You immediately know when something is wrong. That goes for any progressive press. My Pro 1000 works fine, but hands down - Dillion manufacturer's a far superior product. And their technical support is the bomb! If you have a primer issue, call them and get it corrected. Best of luck!
No doubt Big Blue has great customer support - as does Lee. Free replacement parts, technicians glad to help, etc. I gave up on the Dillon 5 or 6 years ago. I would have to argue the "far superior" statement though - at least in my experience. As I said earlier, once set up and you know that "feel" of your tools, 50 or 60,000 rounds later with virtually no issues I'll probably stick with Lee. As for the primer issue with the Dillon, Replacement parts etc. developed the same issues. The Lee primer set up itself is 10 times faster and much more simplistic than the Dillon. "Faster" maybe icing on the cake, so to speak, but often times "simplistic" is the way to go. I found the Lee simplistic primer set up to work much better in my experience.
The bottom line is the tool that works best for you and can develop a consistently accurate and trouble free product - in this case bullets - is the tool you want to stick with.
Thanks for your input. It's always good to consider other people's opinions and experiences. It keeps you thinking.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Meeting a friend for a reloading day as way to wet to shoot 500 each 9mm & 45 are my plans. My new short AR is habit forming. Going to be a tad cool though. Looking forward to another good day.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Well the 500 9's turned into 600 & 500 45's to 800 1400 total 1100-1530 time frames and sized several hundred 9 & 45 bullets also a very productive day for us,

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just need mud to go away now but rain all day it looks like tomorrow again so not any time soon so another loading day coming soon it looks like, more 9's and 45. Need a good range day to work up some dope cards for the shorty AR then tape 1 on it. It will not take long as well as it shoots. The shorty 9mm and my STI or CQB 45 have turned into my #1 & 2 most enjoyable to shoot now.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
A question put to me by a friend today:
How many here:
Reload or not, I do
Cast bullets, I do
Shoot weekly or more, I do with a goal of 3-500 rounds a week
Public ranges, NO!
Shoot matches, I do

For all questions asked above I have done this most of my life.

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
-I reload (winter).
-I cast, (summer-148grain .38 wadcutters, 125grain 9mm, 200grain .45)
-I shoot at least once a week (usually more)
-We don't have any public ranges in my area
-I shoot in a club level PPC and Bullseye League

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Now the dreaded brass separating and cleaning this week over 5 gallons to do! From shot and range pickups 9mm & 45 only. Then some therapy reloading again to do. Working as a team sure does help a lot.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My shooting and reloading friend is casting all day today he just said. Foggy and damp out perfect day to cast...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We processed 5+ gallons of brass today and loaded 600 rounds of 9mm coated and sized lots of cast bullets also, a full day very cool in the shop. Now for the mud on mud to dry out! To shoot some of it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
It's going to take a dry week I bet to get rid of all the mud we have here, doubt if we shoot this week maybe a possibility late week so probably another loading day coming this week for sure for me another 9mm day I guess as much as I enjoy shooting my new 8" AR.

2nd time asking here: Anyone load Red Dot in your 45 - Or 9mm?

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a PPC Match and a Bullseye Match this week. Making some .38 Special wadcutters using my home cast 148g DEWC over 3.0g of W231.

IMG_2402.jpgIMG_2399.jpg

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
After 250 .38 Special Wadcutters I've switched over to .45ACP loading my home cast 200 SWC (sized .452) over 4.0g of WST. I'm using a vintage (I bought it new) RCBS Green Machine and this one runs like a champ, even primes! Pictured pistol is a Clark Custom Guns Long Heavy Slide .45 built on a '78 Colt Government Model. These rounds are being cooked up for this pistol.

IMG_2404.JPG