Franchi Affinity as an alternative to Stoeger M3000 & M3K or Benelli M2

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Fallout556 said:
My new Affinity is in route to MOA Precision
Barbarians Live said:
I put Benelli (and TTI Benelli lifter) parts in my Franchi Affinity and am waiting to get it back from the gunsmith (port opening). I bought the Affinity over a year ago and decided to make it a 3-Gun shotgun (vs. buying an M2 or B1301). I shoot a SxS coach gun or 1897 pump in SASS (shoot about four SASS matches a year). The Franchi feels like a Sci-Fi laser gun afterwards. Can only load two at a time in SASS.
Post some pics please.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
WIll do as soon as I get it back (hopefully soon). The port opening is done, but the Briley extended bolt release needed some mill work to install and they just upgraded their milling equipment. I forgot that I decided on the Briley extended bolt release instead of the TTI because the TTI required the bolt release (which is more "hemispherical" on a Franchi vs. flat on a Benelli) to be milled flat with some "texturing" to keep it from turning.

jtischauser

Barbarians Live said:
WIll do as soon as I get it back (hopefully soon). The port opening is done, but the Briley extended bolt release needed some mill work to install and they just upgraded their milling equipment. I forgot that I decided on the Briley extended bolt release instead of the TTI because the TTI required the bolt release (which is more "hemispherical" on a Franchi vs. flat on a Benelli) to be milled flat with some "texturing" to keep it from turning.
Who's doing your port work?

Spart

Active Fanatic
Barbarians Live said:
the TTI required the bolt release (which is more "hemispherical" on a Franchi vs. flat on a Benelli) to be milled flat with some "texturing" to keep it from turning.
FWIW, I had my gunsmith mill the bolt release button flat with no sort of texture and the TTI enlarged button turning hasn't been a problem.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
Port work being done by a new (to our area) local gunsmith. Guy has been to couple of gunsmith schools (for various types of guns) and worked elsewhere before moving back. His dad owns a building in town and had a bunch of equipment. I went visited his shop and saw some of his work. I showed him pics of what I wanted done. Wanted to stay local and support them. All the local shooters that have used them gave them high marks. He also supports the local range and shooting groups.

jtischauser

Barbarians Live said:
Port work being done by a new (to our area) local gunsmith. Guy has been to couple of gunsmith schools (for various types of guns) and worked elsewhere before moving back. His dad owns a building in town and had a bunch of equipment. I went visited his shop and saw some of his work. I showed him pics of what I wanted done. Wanted to stay local and support them. All the local shooters that have used them gave them high marks. He also supports the local range and shooting groups.
Very cool! I wouldn't be where I am without our local gun smith. He's actual dick but good at building guns. When you mentioned Briley I was having flash backs to the other recent thread with a really shallow load port job that's not good enough for quad loading.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
My Franchi Affinity is back!

Port opening work and milling for enlarged slide release by Andrew Schmitz (Schmitz Custom Arms)--see link below. He opened the port to my specified request. I'll be shooting three local 2-gun matches (lots of steel and distance targets) and three out-of-town 3-gun matches.

yNKDoLM.jpg

SVGtN6M.jpg

VWfbknO.jpg

xL88TXa.jpg

JM7gEDv.jpg

nGSerYd.jpg

Next to Stoeger M3K

TX7WDcX.jpg

Perseus wanted his pic uploaded. :)
VSMcQcJ.jpg

Web site of Schmitzcustomarms
http://www.schmitzcustomarms.com/

Jesse Tischauser said:
Very cool! I wouldn't be where I am without our local gun smith. He's actual dick but good at building guns. When you mentioned Briley I was having flash backs to the other recent thread with a really shallow load port job that's not good enough for quad loading.
I caught that. Ill have to see where I can slip some smack talk in somewhere you dont see.

Spart

Active Fanatic
It's been running well for the youth shooter I set it up for. I'm thinking about getting one for myself so I can retire the M2 to life with an 18.5" barrel for home defense.

Ray Chirnside

New Fanatic
Here is a picture of my Franchi Affinity's loading port. Main cuts were done with a mill, then some shaping and rounding were done with a dremel. I now have over 1000 rounds through it with only user created hiccups. While tinkering with the magazine catch, I bent it closed a little too much and in the middle of a match had it start to dump rounds onto the carrier and impede my ability to load. As soon as I cleaned it and bent it back slightly, haven't had any issues. I run either a 12 round total or a 9 round total mag extension depending on what the match and class rules allow. I've installed all of the Taran upgrades available and used 3M auto double sided tape for the match saver. The t screws were going to be awfully close to the carrier bar...which brings up my question of the hour...for any of you that have had both the Stoeger and the Franchi, is the carrier bar the same between them? What about the bolt carriers? Thanks!

IMG_6509_zpsd0vgsasz.jpg

IMG_6511_zpsmflh85ja.jpg

IMG_6512_zpsxdallhsc.jpg
IMG_6514_zps4xgxa9aj.jpg

Spart

Active Fanatic
Halo09 said:
The t screws were going to be awfully close to the carrier bar...which brings up my question of the hour...for any of you that have had both the Stoeger and the Franchi, is the carrier bar the same between them? What about the bolt carriers? Thanks!
I wasn't able to compare them side by side, but the design does seem awfully similar - but I couldn't say that the parts are identical. What are you thinking of doing, trying to gain clearance for the match saver mounting points?

Latest posts