Franchi Affinity as an alternative to Stoeger M3000 & M3K or Benelli M2

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Spart said:
Something interesting about the Affinity (and the Stoeger too, I guess) that I've noticed switching back and forth with my M2 practicing loads is that the balance is way different and you do notice it.

The M2 is very stock heavy, which is nice for weak hand loads.

The Affinity balances nicely right where I put my support hand, which is nice for strong hand loads.
Maybe due to the recoil spring being absent from the stock and it using a system similar to the SX3? I'd be happier with my M1 if it's CG was farther forward.

Spart

Active Fanatic
Carrier latch seemed really stiff and hard to push past conpared to my M2... But my M2 has a few thousand down the pipe and many times that in loading practice. I tweaked the latch and now it's a bit easier than my well-used M2.

There's a bit more material in the receiver over the follower tp remove for really smooth quad loads.

Really it feels just like the Benelli now that I've got it all setup with the port work and carrier and so on.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Spart said:
Carrier latch seemed really stiff and hard to push past conpared to my M2... But my M2 has a few thousand down the pipe and many times that in loading practice. I tweaked the latch and now it's a bit easier than my well-used M2.

There's a bit more material in the receiver over the follower tp remove for really smooth quad loads.

Really it feels just like the Benelli now that I've got it all setup with the port work and carrier and so on.
Did you tune the shell catch? Aka bending it?

Spart

Active Fanatic
Carrier latch = shell catch and yes.

I've been trying to use the correct nomenclature for all the parts and "carrier latch" is what Benelli et. al. call it.

jtischauser

Carrier latch = 12 letters

shell catch = 10 letters

Since they do both things I don't care what the Italians called it especially when the incorrect name is easier to associate with what it's doing and it's shorter to text

Spart

Active Fanatic
I totally agree but I'm also making tech vids and trying to be helpful to people using an exploded parts diagram.

I was calling it a shell catch or shell stop until a few days ago.

jtischauser

Spart said:
I totally agree but I'm also making tech vids and trying to be helpful to people using an exploded parts diagram.

I was calling it a shell catch or shell stop until a few days ago.
That makes sense but nobody will know what parts you're talking about. It's like calling a Kleenex a tissue. Lol.

Spart

Active Fanatic
Or calling the "lifter" or "loading gate" a carrier. It's semantics... Glock cruciform anyone? Sometimes I really hate gun nomenclature.

Spart

Active Fanatic
It's a 26" and seems very similar to my 26" M2 barrel. Same sort of external finish, Looks like they came with the same small red fiber optic bead from the factory. The "barrel extension" on the Affinity isn't hard chromed like the M2 but they both have chrome lined bores.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
I still think the shell latch on the M3000 is enough or a benefit to go with the M3000 over the Affinity for smaller statured shooters or newer shooters who do not want to mess with tuning. I think it is easier to change an extractor than to tune a shell latch.

My hunch is that by this time next year, there will be a few others in the mix. :)

jtischauser

The crappy hinged shell catch on the Stoeger is partially why i quit shooting them. I Couldn't get my extractor out either.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
The crappy hinged shell catch on the Stoeger is partially why i quit shooting them. I Couldn't get my extractor out either.
User error? :)

I know you don't like it Jesse, but everyone else seems to really like it. Good thing is now we have more choices than an M1 or an 1100.

Spart

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I loaded nicely but it was part of the reason it wouldn't keep shells in the tube too.
Is that a common problem or just your gun?

jtischauser

Spart said:
Is that a common problem or just your gun?
The topic is too big for my thumb to type. It happens and happens more frequently if you really open up the port above the carrier latch. You'll notice that if you pull your bolt release the opposite direction that it moves to release the bolt it will allow shells to go by. That can happen on the clock too

Spart

Active Fanatic
Good to know. Since the Franchi is basically a clone of the M2 in that regard it shouldn't be a problem.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
For some reason JT is the only one I have seen have any problems with the M3000 shell latch. I like it so much I tried to figure out if it would be feasible to modify one for use in a VM or an M2. The reduced pressure helps loading a lot, especially fast quads. It is enough that you really do not have to open the M3000 up as much as other platforms. Not every construction problem needs a hammer.

jtischauser

See I disagree I couldn't load the M3000 anywhere as well as my M2. I had to go way foward with material removal to get shells to stay past the shell catch and not get that one shell slipping back out onto the lifter.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fallout556

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
You can pick up an affinity on gun broker for $599 right now. They have huge potential. That's why I'm planning on working with MOA Precision this year to show what they are made of.

I'm just waiting on a gun to shoot.

I'm looking at grabbing one right now. Are most parts interchangeable and do you think MOA Precision is the best company to do the work on it?

Latest posts