DW Pointman 9 mags not dropping free

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
Recently the mags are not dropping free on my DW have to use my left hand to clear empty mag than fit full mag in . Using Mec Gar 10 round mags six of them about 1.5 old . Pistol is clean working good but mag changes are not what i want . Any tips to help ? I do have an mag well installed that fits in the IPSC box , otherwise stock pistol that always ran well - Thanks Skinner

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
In Canada I have choose of 9mm 10 round mags from Tripp , Dan Wesson or Dawson as top end mags from Canadian on line sources -which one?

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
can only shop in Canada no import /export of mags into Canada without being licensed business.

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
Trip 10 rounders work well in ALL our 9mm 1911 5" guns including the PM-9 they ALL have magwells. You have to keep up with mag spring changes depending on how much you shoot it. For us, it's once per 1.5 years of use so about 90 bucks to change 10 mag springs every 1.5 years.
We tried Wilsons before but you cannot download a loaded mag without using either the trigger or an Upula if you come to a stage with a downloaded start condition. If you can get Tripps, get them.

Brad Skinner

Active Fanatic
this the ones
The Tripp 9mm Magazine has a 10 rounds capacity and is designed for competition use. Utilizing a rear spacer and a cut out in the front to allow rounds to exit without hitting anything and slowing down. This magazine is the best feeding 9mm magazine on the market.
1911 Magazine
Caliber: 9mm
Size: For use with Government Full Sized pistols measuring MORE than 3" center to center on grip screws
Round Capacity: 10 Rounds
Basepad: BP-P-.500 Polymer // removable // .500 height (half an inch)
Follower: (FOL-FLX-9mm) All Metal Follower "Drop Leg" for Tripp 9mm caliber magazines only
Spring: (MS-12C.042) 12 coils .042 diameter spring

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
I think there IS only one option from Tripp for 10 rd. 9mm mags. I don't recall, but there may be an option for alu. baseplates instead of plastic. There have been some reports of the plastic baseplates over-riding the checkered DW front strap upon insertion and causing the mag to stick in the gun. We have never had this happen even during competition reloads. Alu baseplates could always be purchased later if you happen to have that problem.

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
I should add that ours now do have Dawson alu baseplates only because we have installed Dawson magwells recently on 2 of the guns. The Dawson magwells are deeper and wider than a "normal 1911 magwell and the normal Tripp basepads weren't tall enough to perform a fast reload using the Dawson magwell. I don't know if IPSC allows the Dawson magwell. They are legal here for both IDPA and USPSA single stack.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Trip 10 rounders work well in ALL our 9mm 1911 5" guns including the PM-9 they ALL have magwells. You have to keep up with mag spring changes depending on how much you shoot it. For us, it's once per 1.5 years of use so about 90 bucks to change 10 mag springs every 1.5 years.
We tried Wilsons before but you cannot download a loaded mag without using either the trigger or an Upula if you come to a stage with a downloaded start condition. If you can get Tripps, get them.
I love my Wilson mags but you are sooo right, now I never go to a match without 2-3 empty

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I would inspect the mag catch as well as the grip screw bushings. I have seen several production guns where the bushing extend a thread or two into the mag well causing the mags to not drop free.

Texan

New Fanatic
will do , an RO mentioned mags might swell also Thanks
I Shot IPSC for over 20 years and never had a mag to GROW. If they were too tight it was because they were junk or something is wrong with the gun. Maybe a grip bushing is too long or the mag release is bad. Check your add on mag well...

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I would inspect the mag catch as well as the grip screw bushings. I have seen several production guns where the bushing extend a thread or two into the mag well causing the mags to not drop free.

^^^ This ^^^

Insure your grips screws are not making contact with the magazine, impeding it's ability to drop free.. Best of luck!