Dillon mods

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I bought the cheapest Lee single-stage press, the Lee Bulge-Buster kit, and a .40S&W Lee crimp die, and mounted the assembly inside the area of the Dillon Strong Mount. It saves bench space and does not interfere with the operation of the press or the reloading process.

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
One trip to the hardware store, a little tap and die and wah-lah. One powder check mirror.

Attachments

• 2012-04-11_17-01-40_466.jpg
    2012-04-11_17-01-40_466.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 159

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I bought the cheapest Lee single-stage press, the Lee Bulge-Buster kit, and a .40S&W Lee crimp die, and mounted the assembly inside the area of the Dillon Strong Mount. It saves bench space and does not interfere with the operation of the press or the reloading process.

18386916.jpg

CBR

Well-Known Fanatic
It would be an honor. I'll need your machines for a year or so. You see, I actually do the threading on a hardened gold tooth overlay I had put in. Takes a little time that way, but very precise.

Bunchies95

Active Fanatic
Some great ideas here. I am going to try the side mirror and a pen light. My press isn't able to be set up at the correct height, so looking into the case has been a pain.

Thanks for the info.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Here's one I just learned about today, from SA:

bM0Qel.jpg

some guy on the internet said:
So in an attempt to improve consistency with metering powder for my rifle loads, I strapped a fish tank aerator to the side of my powder hopper (as several people on the internet had suggested) and tried porting the air output to the vent hole on the powder measure body. It seems to meter much more consistently now. With five throws, all read exactly the same on my balance beam scale.

Obviously I need to get a larger sample, but previously I would expect to see +/- 0.2gr or so with RL-22 in that many throws.

SCIENCE

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
B.S. DuBois said:
Link for that one poop?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420949&pagenumber=56&perpage=40#post407206535

If you don't have a SomethingAwful account I'm not sure how much of that you'll be able to see. I basically copied the whole post anyhow.

Post from the next page about how the thing works:
The aerator is a vibratory pump (basically a bellows that oscillates really fast because of the way the solenoid inside it is set up), so it vibrates the powder measure, causing the powder to settle a bit better in the powder bar, in theory. The air flowing out of the pump is pushed through a check valve and guided into the vent hole in the powder measure, which blows any grains of powder that stick in there down into the case.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I haven't tried it myself. My powder measure throws consistently enough right now that I'm not inclined to mess with it at present.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
It's a Click PLC with their cheap display, want to say, micro Cmore from automation direct.

Program it on a PC with their free software, via USB. Never messed with one so learning that part took longer than the "hard parts".

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
JMorris said:
It's a Click PLC with their cheap display, want to say, micro Cmore from automation direct.

Program it on a PC with their free software, via USB. Never messed with one so learning that part took longer than the "hard parts".
Does it use ladder-logic, or is it a visual graphic system? I doubt a PLC would be code-driven for instructions. I've only worked with Allen-Bradley systems.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
It is ladder logic. They have a bunch of programs that you can down load and mess with. That's what I did then just nested them into the one I have. Really took longer to integrate it into the display and have them interact. Figured it would be cool to have something that flashed red and displayed "low primers" or "powder check" than seeing an LED light up on the PLC, and the counters too.

Latest posts