Controlled hunt results in!

dennishoddy

Lot of deer at Lexington. The success ratio is pretty good from what I read. Hopefully somebody that has hunted there will get on and gives some advice on where to hunt that area. :D

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been there several times, Seen all kinds of tracks. I am hoping to be able to find a good rub or watering spot, to stake out.

dennishoddy

I have been there several times, Seen all kinds of tracks. I am hoping to be able to find a good rub or watering spot, to stake out.

Most of the deer have already rubbed all they are going to, but you might get lucky. At least one knows there is a buck in the area that produced the rubs.

I don't waste my time on water holes. I have a stand with the only pond in 2 square miles on private ground, and there are very few signs of the deer using the water.

Deer get their water three ways. Drinking from puddles, eating vegetation (hard wood mast is 50% water, Wheat is over 90%). Or, metabolic water, which is produced in the animal's cells as part of metabolism.

Three days without water, deer will quit eating and loose weight quickly. Some studies say deer need 6-8 quarts of water per day.
It has never been proven beyond a doubt, but it is suspected that deer can live with the water they get in lush vegetation without any ponds, creeks.
In my personal observation, we have times in the northern part of the state where all of the ponds are frozen, no snow, dew, whatever, for weeks on end, and they have the biggest deer in the state. This the most arid part of the state. Its also the largest part of the state for wheat production. Kind of makes sense to me.

Do your scouting, and the deer will tell you where to hunt them.