Colt vs Springfield

Roger Norris

Fanatic
This is my first post, thanks. I'm not new to 1911's, I carry a Colt Commander every day. I am considering a Springfield Elite Operator in 10mm. looking for honest opinions vs the Colt Delta Elite....take nostalgia out of it (I love Colt too).

Thanks!

Memphis2857

New Fanatic
I carry a Colt Commander as well. I also have a RO Elite Operator in 10mm. The gun does everything you would expect and shoots VERY well. I don't have any experience with the Delta Elite but I figure the two are probably pretty similar in experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dakota1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Do not have either. Of my 4 1911 10mm variants, two are DW, one is a Ruger and one is a 1990 Colt Delta Gold Cup.

Do have a number of SA 1911s in 45ACP and 9mm, and lots of Colts so some thoughts are.... The Colt has the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety I think. The Colt does not have a ramped barrel. The Colt may have the Nylon (not metal) MSH (not sure). The SA may not have the ejector staked in (maybe more important in 10mm). Hopefully the ILS in the MSH has gone the way of the Dodo in SA land. The SA has a ramped barrel I think. Anyway, just some thoughts.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I would NEVER carry the Springfield because of the glued ejectors (which break reliably)

Given the choice of the two, I would carry the Delta IF it had been gone through completely by a gunsmith I trusted.

When I am carrying a 10 (in bear country) I carry a DL Sports, Dave Lauck / 2011. Absolutely reliable. Period663437AB-4EF0-441F-8C46-D65566C10846.jpegFABF54D2-6310-4C0A-9F0B-A973F40901F6.jpeg

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Correct. NOT Pinned, glued. Sheared several.

ALWAYS BREAK if you use them hard. I demand absolute reliability. Springfield does not qualify (out of the box)

Last edited:

Mohel Knives

Active Fanatic
I didn't say that , I simply stated I have never heard of the issue you stated Always break! I also have not experienced that with any of mine. One of which has at least 15,000 rounds shot since I have owned it. So to say they always break is not accurate.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
OP, I have the 6" TRP OPERATOR 10MM.
To date I have 100 ends through her, so my experience is admittedly limited. That being said, the gun has given me no regrets.

Have you considered the DW VALOR? I have had mine for about a year now, and it is my favorite

Roger Norris

Fanatic
I ordered the Springfield version.
I'm not thrilled about the possibility of an ejector issue, but we will see.
This was never meant to be my daily carry gun, so I will tolerate a little frustration as long as it is fixable.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Springfield's DIRECT supporting of an anti-gun lobbyist has made me realize I don't need anything that they have to offer.

Fug 'em.......I wont own anything Springfield

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to feel that way as well. But they have kept their nose clean since then as far as I am aware. There may have been more to the story than was reported as well.

I am inclined personally to give somebody a second chance.

Roger Norris

Fanatic
Springfield's DIRECT supporting of an anti-gun lobbyist has made me realize I don't need anything that they have to offer.

Fug 'em.......I wont own anything Springfield

I think you stopped listening after "1st report" . I urge you to research the FACTS on that subject.

Snakebill

Fanatic
My opinion, I think the Springfield having a ramped barrel is a huge plus but I don't think it's necessary unless you're really going to push the ammo. I'm admittedly a colt fanboy, and personally don't like SA, but only for asthetic reasons. SA does use more mim than colt but both use quality mim. I have a delta and I love it, also never had an issue due to an unsupported barrel.
A big deciding factor here should also be the option of 6 inch guns. Colt is only gov length but SA has a 6 inch. I truly believe that extra length with a round like 10mm is a big bonus as the velocity will increase. Only problem for me is the SA 6 inch 10mm get real close to Dan Wesson Bruin prices, and as a Bruin owner I would go with that over the SA. Just something to consider in that price range.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
A big deciding factor here should also be the option of 6 inch guns. Colt is only gov length but SA has a 6 inch. I truly believe that extra length with a round like 10mm is a big bonus as the velocity will increase. Only problem for me is the SA 6 inch 10mm get real close to Dan Wesson Bruin prices, and as a Bruin owner I would go with that over the SA. Just something to consider in that price range.

When I was looking at getting the 10mm Bruin, I had trouble pullin the trigger. I also looked at the KImber Target and the SA TRP OP.
I was in no hurry so I kept an eye open. Found the SA TRP, brand new, for $1250. SOLD!

Snakebill

Fanatic
I was in no hurry so I kept an eye open. Found the SA TRP, brand new, for $1250. SOLD!

I stand corrected. At that price SA all day. I haven't looked at them in a while and I had been seeing them for much more.

Not to thread hijack but how do you like the front strap texture on the SA?