Colt vs Springfield

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Correct. NOT Pinned, glued. Sheared several.

ALWAYS BREAK if you use them hard. I demand absolute reliability. Springfield does not qualify (out of the box)
If the ejector is breaking off it has less to do with the loctite and more to do with fitment or the quality of the part.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
If the ejector is breaking off it has less to do with the loctite and more to do with fitment or the quality of the part.

If you would start with the premise that loctite is acceptable we are operating in two different worlds. I understand that anything can break BUT, I only carry guns that start out bulletproof. I would NEVER ACCEPT a gun that was loctited not pinned on the theory that "if it's fit right it won't break".........it's a weak link. PERIOD

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
If you would start with the premise that loctite is acceptable we are operating in two different worlds. I understand that anything can break BUT, I only carry guns that start out bulletproof. I would NEVER ACCEPT a gun that was loctited not pinned on the theory that "if it's fit right it won't break".........it's a weak link. PERIOD
You're deflecting. I have 4-5K through a garden variety SA RO in match shooting and never a hiccup. It runs better than a Wesson and a Wilson I owned.

And I've not seen or heard of the failures you've described.

Beyond that, I've sent two new Colts back to the factory over ejector issues, and this thread is about Colts and Springers,

so ... Springers for me.

Last edited:

Nitro 375

New Fanatic
I have owned and worked on both pretty extensively, either will serve you well. Having said that my Springfield's are all gone and the Colts remain, I've just had better luck with the Colts.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
You're deflecting. I have 4-5K through a garden variety SA RO in match shooting and never a hiccup. It runs better than a Wesson and a Wilson I owned.

And I've not seen or heard of the failures you've described.

Beyond that, I've sent two new Colts back to the factory over ejector issues, and this thread is about Colts and Springers,

so ... Springers for me.

You know what they (us old guys) say about Colts?????

A new in the box Colt is a collectors item.....an investment.

A used Colt is broken.

FWIW........I would NEVER take a Colt out of the box and carry it (unless it was a revolver)

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I was in no hurry so I kept an eye open. Found the SA TRP, brand new, for $1250. SOLD!

I stand corrected. At that price SA all day. I haven't looked at them in a while and I had been seeing them for much more.

Not to thread hijack but how do you like the front strap texture on the SA?

She makes me happy. The "texture" isn't as grippy as my DW"s. Its still good, but I do prefer the standard checkering.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
I'll never own another Springfield of any kind ! I bought the 911 in .380. Loved the gun, how it felt, and shot.....but at 7 yds. it shot about a foot low / left ! I called Springfield and they wanted the gun back. I sent it to them and they agreed that the gun was shooting really bad off and they sent me a new gun. This gun shot dead on, but it would jam at least once on every mag. I had 4 Springfield mags and it'd jam at least once on every mag. It wouldn't shoot 4 shots without jamming. That's 2 new Springfield's and they were both pieces of crap !

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't kill the messenger!!!

I have a bunch of Springfields........I just don't carry one........which is not to say that I wouldn't if it had been gone through and made to work absolutely reliably.

I have an STI with a TRP top end that is built to carry and is ruggedly beautiful.

The best thing about a Springfield is the logo. ( and the history)

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have over the years, wanted a Delta Elite, I don't know if I like the Triangle or the Prancing Pony the best, but I certainly would have shot it.

Now ….. there are so many options, I honestly think I would buy a RIA, I know they are solid enough to make me a believer in a 10 MM 1911 platform or not. Then I could find something possibly more appealing.

I have read stuff in this thread that opened my eyes and also stuff that was incredible or not credible depending on the post.

All I demand is a supported chamber.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I have over the years, wanted a Delta Elite, I don't know if I like the Triangle or the Prancing Pony the best, but I certainly would have shot it.

Now ….. there are so many options, I honestly think I would buy a RIA, I know they are solid enough to make me a believer in a 10 MM 1911 platform or not. Then I could find something possibly more appealing.

I have read stuff in this thread that opened my eyes and also stuff that was incredible or not credible depending on the post.

All I demand is a supported chamber.
If you can afford it, go with the DAN WESSON.

You can get a used RAZORBACK for about $1200

Golfnut27

Fanatic
Springfield's DIRECT supporting of an anti-gun lobbyist has made me realize I don't need anything that they have to offer.

Fug 'em.......I wont own anything Springfield
Would you care to share the information to which you refer. I hadn't heard that they support the loonies.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Would you care to share the information to which you refer. I hadn't heard that they support the loonies.

That said, I still like my Springer I bought prior to this and am surely not selling it.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
In the distant past the State of Illinois was comptemplating some new restrictive gun legislation and many Illinois manufacturers were extorted to give some monetary support in turn for a break for Illinois manufacturers. They have been trying to live it down since and made a public apology.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
I carried a Springfield Armory 5" stainless for years and never had an issue with it other than the weight. I also had a Delta Elite in the 1990's and didn't have an issue with it other than lack of ammo choices. I hate hearing the complaints about SA, I've found they put out a quality product at a price Colt would never match.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, with Colt announcing today that they will NO LONGER MAKE AR15s for the civilian market, the choice is now clear.
Colt ... you can pound sand.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
Partial news, Colt said they have a oversupply of commercial AR-15's at distributors and they will stop producing till there is a demand, but the media plays that a little different.

Latest posts